OSX Optimization+Solution&Warning for Audio-Dropouts

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
+1

Post by +1 » Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:53 pm

Hi sniffio

I''m running OSX 10.3.6 Live 4.0.4
I still have audio glitches - the audio fadeouts are gone

I usually remove glitches by doing my own clip fadeouts and consolidating/rendering/resample

victhrill

Post by victhrill » Tue Jan 25, 2005 6:25 pm

I also have audio dropouts (both with internal sound and M-Audio FW 1814), which after a while on my computer creep into the song, seemingly erratic but then occurring in pretty much the same spot every time until finally a whole section of the song drops out and remains that way. I have had success in getting the audio back by deleting plug-ins that were being used like the RESONATOR or the FILTER DELAY, although I certainly don't accept that as a solution to the problems since I'm losing precious musical content as a result of it. The songs are fairly light with audio and plug-in content and I'm using the latest Powerbook G4, 1.5Ghz w/2GB of RAM. I miss the days of Live 2 even!
Defender Of The Beat

vince watson

Post by vince watson » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:01 am

its your m-audio firewire......check out the revious forums etc.....

after many frustrating months, the conclusion is that Ableton 4 and M-audio Firewire drivers on the Mac are not 100% compatible yet.

i tested a mutu, an m-audio audiophile that i was having problems with, an edirol and lastly an RME multiface...

the multiface is 100 solid...amazing piece of kit.....not a single dropout with 20 channels of audio all with fx......blindingly good..

trust me...if you can afford the price of the RME, it will change your confidence again...and get you back to the live 2 state of mind..

good luck
Macbook Pro (Early2011) 17" Antiglare Hi Res 2.2, 8gb Ram, RME Multiface Expresscard, Ableton 7.18, Ableton 8.2.1, Snow Leopard 10.6.8

victhrill

Post by victhrill » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:06 am

Thanks Vince. Unfortunately these problems have been occurring when I use the internal soundcard as well. Actually, that's what I've been using the last three days when all this kicked up again. It definitely gets worse as the computer is on longer. I totally appreciate your advice though and have heard great things about the RME stuff. I will certainly be looking into it when I get the cash.
Defender Of The Beat

vince watson

Post by vince watson » Wed Jan 26, 2005 11:25 am

victhrill wrote:Thanks Vince. Unfortunately these problems have been occurring when I use the internal soundcard as well. Actually, that's what I've been using the last three days when all this kicked up again. It definitely gets worse as the computer is on longer. I totally appreciate your advice though and have heard great things about the RME stuff. I will certainly be looking into it when I get the cash.
yeah...some poeple are also saying there is a serious bug in the coreaudio that ableton are trying to pinpoint, and apple are working on for 10.3.8 which is out in a few weeks to hopefully that will solve it for you guys..

One tell tale sign if your coreaudio is dodgy is to try and cut loops a
using quicktime pro....if your audio sticks and drops out during it then its a definate coreaudio issue on your laptop....i have the 17" Pb with 2gb ram as well....and changing to the RME has 100% completely removed any issues i had about audio problems....£600 ....you get what you pay for...i strongly recommened it....if your going to buy the ali powerbook coz its the best laptop around, you may as well use it with the best soundcard........i hope this helps
Macbook Pro (Early2011) 17" Antiglare Hi Res 2.2, 8gb Ram, RME Multiface Expresscard, Ableton 7.18, Ableton 8.2.1, Snow Leopard 10.6.8

tch

Post by tch » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:06 pm

>>victhrill

Have you tried the sniffio's Fix yet ?
If not PLZ do so.

But before you do it, I recommend you to remove all the plug-in folders somewher else and test live4.
ex) mac HD/Library/Audio/Plugins/VST & Components.

After that, make sure you repair permissions using the osx's disk 1.

If you have a spare RAM or an Apple's original RAM, switch it with the one you are using at the present. Test live4 with that.

Since your internal soundcard isn't working, i don't think RME is going to do the cure. But yes, it's the best soundcard out there. I use it, too.

If these don't work, try the sniffio's fix in this thread's P1.

If that doesn't work, I highly recommend you to take your powerbook
to the Apple's Genius Bar.
Just tell them your friends are not having these trouble :wink:

BTW, do you have problems using the itunes, or other app ?

tell us what happens.

good luck

victhrill

Post by victhrill » Wed Jan 26, 2005 1:51 pm

I will take your advice my friend and report back later.
Defender Of The Beat

victhrill

Post by victhrill » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:35 pm

Sniffio, your fix is extremely in depth. You say you had the audio glitches after all that and switched to the RME, at which point it went away. I am having the audio glitch with both my M-Audio FW interface and my internal sound card. Given the fact that you had the glitches after such a colossal undertaking, only to be fixed by plugging into the RME, I think I would rather plug into one of those first at my local music store to see if the problem is solved! Beyond that, thank you for all of your hard work, and I won't be surprised if I have to follow those directions in the next couple of days.
Defender Of The Beat

victhrill

Post by victhrill » Wed Jan 26, 2005 2:40 pm

TCH - Thanks for the advice man. I will certainly try moving the plug-ins first and repairing permissions with the OSX disk. I know that the plug-ins are somehow involved in all of this glitch nonsense because whenever I delete them from the song, the problems cease. It's not even good enough to turn them off, you actually have to delete them.
Defender Of The Beat

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:15 pm

>>+1

I heard os 10.3.8 is coming up.
There is going to be a update in "Audio" issue in this one.
But, yes, we have to be watchig out for it.

Have you considered using the RME Multiface ??
It's working solidly with every powerbook users in the forum.

I hope the os update will help you, too.
good luck

victhrill

Post by victhrill » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:30 pm

I will for sure be keeping my eye on that RME. As long as there are a couple of pre-amps in it, I'm alright. I trashed my VST Plug-ins and it seems to be working without a glitch now. I will report more later.
Defender Of The Beat

sniffio

Post by sniffio » Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:37 pm

>>victhrill

When you're going to the local gear shop,
make sure you have the latest drivers in your powerbook.
You can download it from here.

http://www.rme-audio.com/english/download/drivers.htm

You'll be needing both,
HAMMERFALL DSP DRIVERS
+hdsp 15.qz
+fut mac.qz

install the drivers first.

after you have the RME's card plugged into your powerbook,
make sure you use the "fut mac.qz", select for the "Aluminum G4",
and flash update the card to the latest version.

after connecting, use the two applications that came with the "hdsp 15.qz driver". DSPXXXX
then you can test your live4.

After you're finished testing, you can flash back the sound card using the "fut mac.qz",
to the regular sound card, so that the other customers who doesn't use the powerbook can
use the card or purchase it.
If it is not flashed back, the card won't be able to use by others except for the PBG4 permanantly.Let's be nice to the store who let your testing possible.

I had to search all the stores since any of them didnt't
have the RME Multiface for "testing",because it is little out-dated.
I had to call the dealer for the RME to actully be able to test the stuff.

Yeah, RME's support is excellent, too.
Way too fast for everything. update, support, mails, you name it.

Good luck.

tch

Post by tch » Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:04 am

Watch out guys.
the audio glitch is back again with the Live4.1.
I just did the audio test on 4.1, and it's back.(small one though)
I went back to 4.0.4 and found out the glitch is gone.
Just that, nothing else.
So you guys might want to watch out.

Live4.0.4 is running great @ 30 mins of playing
8trs, 3 midi, using lots of EXT inputs.
siyonara 4.1 :evil:

tch with an attitude

os10.3.5

victhrill

Post by victhrill » Fri Jan 28, 2005 7:19 am

I had it in 4.04 and 4.1!
Defender Of The Beat

+1