minimal; the new excuse for boring tracks?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

minimal; the new excuse for boring tracks?

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:56 pm

just sayin, I've been seeing lots of tracks on youtube pop up these days that say "minimal techno" which translates to "nothing going on techno"
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

SubFunk

Re: minimal; the new excuse for boring tracks?

Post by SubFunk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:00 pm

i agree.

it bores the hell out of me.

the thing is, it used to be pretty good at times where DJs had real skills and where working hard mixing permanently, the point of minimal tracks is that they are plain tools for real good DJs, who then create awesome sets with loads of dynamic and changes, etc. but our days young DJs can't mix for shit and they play minimal tracks like real songs last 4 bars mixed into the first 4 bars... boring shit like hell. when i go out and hear and see stuff like that i like to go up and punch them mother fucking hard into there face, well nearly happened a few times. AARRGGHH!!!

at least after not having skilful DJs anymore the trend is slightly going back to proper house music, at least those are not boring tracks mixed 4 bars int the next 4 bars. (if programmed correctly)
Last edited by SubFunk on Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.
*** Image GAFM ***

Bleep Blop Ima Robot

Post by Bleep Blop Ima Robot » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:01 pm

yah minimal is kinda dull, there are a few songs i dont mind, but for the most part...dull
::Mac Book Pro 2.4 GHz 4 GB:: ::Ableton Suite 8:: ::NI Massive:: ::NI Maschine:: ::NI FM8:: ::NI Audio 4 DJ:: .::.Akai APC40.::. .::.LaunchPad.::. .::.Nocturn 49.::. .::.Akai MPK25.::. .::.BCR2000.::. ::KRK R5's::
::M30 Reverb:: ::SampleMoog::

toxictobi

Post by toxictobi » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:04 pm

Yepp, Minimal ist keine Lösung.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:16 pm

No.

It has been an excuse for boring tracks for a long time.

I love the sound of a lot of minimal music. And I like a minimalist approach to layering music. It's just unfortunate that so many people who make 'minimal' think that nothing should actually happen in the song arrangement, which is retarded. Yes, it sounds nice, now make a song out of your fucking loop....
Professional Shark Jumper.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:24 pm

to clarify I'm not anti minimal at all, I like minimal music and the minimal approach to music. But minimal doesn't mean boring as shit. And often times you see people making a boring as shit song and they call it "minimal techno" like it's an excuse. like "nah, theres nothing going on here and it's really boring. But that's okay cause it's a minimal track"

no, no it's not okay.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:24 pm

glitchrock-buddha wrote:No.

It has been an excuse for boring tracks for a long time.

I love the sound of a lot of minimal music. And I like a minimalist approach to layering music. It's just unfortunate that so many people who make 'minimal' think that nothing should actually happen in the song arrangement, which is retarded. Yes, it sounds nice, now make a song out of your fucking loop....
YES! or there should be a law that only DJs can play them that are capable of transforming them into a musical piece. DJs with real good mix / programming skills, the kind that hardly exist anymore.

but 'treating' minmal tracks like a song is just yuck, i feel like throwing up just thinking of it :twisted:
*** Image GAFM ***

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:26 pm

I have another pet peeve about youtube techno artists. Stop f**ing calling everything you make 'acid' just cause you feel like it. These are the guys who have probably never actually listened to an acid track. Acid is a style and a sound, if it's not acid don't call it acid.

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 10:27 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:to clarify I'm not anti minimal at all, I like minimal music and the minimal approach to music. But minimal doesn't mean boring as shit. And often times you see people making a boring as shit song and they call it "minimal techno" like it's an excuse. like "nah, theres nothing going on here and it's really boring. But that's okay cause it's a minimal track"

no, no it's not okay.
i agree, i see it exactly the same way, i am actually pretty 'minimalistic' myself when it comes to writing dance music, it is for the floor and needs to make people dance, not much needed, still it does not have to be utterly boring.

actually to much going on / melody can be a dancefloor killer as well. but a dance track needs sex!
*** Image GAFM ***

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:30 pm

I'm tired of people ranting about shit they don't like, I really don't care, show what you do like, I might care, at least it might interest me. FUCK I hate the Monday after Daylight Savings!!! I feel you on that one.

most people don't write what they want to write, it comes out how it comes out. so what if you don't like it? at least they're making music, spending their free time making art. labels? who cares. I think you've ranted about that.

JIF - can you refresh us on what your music sounds like? what do you call it? think we'd ALL like it? (you do Electribey trance kind of stuff, right?)
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Salty P

Post by Salty P » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:35 pm

Hey guys calm down, the thing with minimal is that it's all about the notes you don't hear :mrgreen:

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:35 pm

ranting on a forum is better the punching people for real, what you actually should do. :lol:
*** Image GAFM ***

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:37 pm

:lol:

"some people should die
that's just unconscious knowledge."
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

SubFunk

Post by SubFunk » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:39 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:
*** Image GAFM ***

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:40 pm

Salty P wrote:Hey guys calm down, the thing with minimal is that it's all about the notes you don't hear :mrgreen:
Good minimal is about that, yes. That's what I love about minimal. You actually fill in the gap in your mind. The problem is that most minimal seems to be about the arrangement you don't hear.
Professional Shark Jumper.