Transmeta (Crusoe) + Hammerfall + Live?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Alex Reynolds

Transmeta (Crusoe) + Hammerfall + Live?

Post by Alex Reynolds » Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:24 pm

Has anyone run Live under a Transmeta Crusoe processor?

I'm looking at one of these tablet PCs with interest, due to cost, PC Card bus, wireless Ethernet and a really small interface:

-- http://www.mira2go.com/

With a stylus it seems like a perfect match for Live.

I just don't know about performance, though, as it is listed as a 400 MHz x86 equivalent (of what x86 chip though?).

-Alex

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 23, 2002 5:32 pm

what about the picturebook?

Rx

Post by Rx » Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:50 pm

I'm not sure those things are worth the money. Are you gonna be stuck with 128k of ram? Cheap laptops are down to about $1000 - I don't the Transmeta chips are powerful enough for serious Live use.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:22 pm

the current picturebook is a transmetta 5800 chip, 867mhz, and 384 megs of ram, 30gig hd expandable to 60gig

what do you think?

Rx

Post by Rx » Mon Sep 23, 2002 11:31 pm

Not sure what a Picturebook is - got a link?
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Alex Reynolds

Review of slightly older Picturebook

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:35 am

A review of a slightly older Sony VAIO Picturebook is at:

-- http://www.transmetazone.com/articlevie ... icleID=857

The reason I was looking at the other model is because of its touchpad screen interface, which is something that I think would be well suited to using with Live in a performance setting.

-Alex

Rx

Post by Rx » Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:45 am

I am curious about the touchpads myself - someone posted that they use one of the Wacom pads with Live and love it.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Alex Reynolds

Post by Alex Reynolds » Tue Sep 24, 2002 1:48 am

Yes, I know about the Wacoms, but they are separate from the screen and expensive.

This particular Crusoe portable gives you the touchpad over the screen for $600-800.

That's why I was interested.

-Alex

Rx

Post by Rx » Tue Sep 24, 2002 2:02 am

I don't know that much about the Transmeta chips, aside from their low energy usage. It really depends on whether it will allow you to perform well with Live or not. If it can only run 5-6 tracks with fx, then it would generally be a waste of money. (Note that I have NO idea how good the cpus are.)
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

neuronaut

Transmeta Crusoe

Post by neuronaut » Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:50 am

My friend is an engineer at Transmeta. I went out a bought the PictureBook C1 I believe. I tried to do a number of things on it from Word editing, surfing the web with high speed, visualization software, soft synths, looping software, etc. and they all LAG! There are some issues, according to my friend, that are related to the low power 'feature'. Even when plugged into the wall, when power is not a problem, the system runs the same. Long story short, they've got a long way to go before I could even trust it with Live. The small screen is totally irritating after a while but it does have video outs galor! To bad it can't keep up with the demands of an OS with software runnng on it. Of course, it's too late to return it so now I use it for streaming music and as a spectrum analyser.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:59 am

the c1 you describe is very old, the latest transmeta picturebook is 4 or five versions later, ask your friend about the performance of those, i would be very intrested in the info, the latest is the c1vm 867mhz 384ram

also sos did a review a while back where they were suggesting the picturebook a good idea for reason software and the like, you might want to check it out. what I do know is that there was a 5600 chip and now there is a 5800 chip that is suppose to make a huge diffence.

also check out stevebarr.com