[mma] New Snap! New Crackle! New Pop!

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
LoopStationZebra

[mma] New Snap! New Crackle! New Pop!

Post by LoopStationZebra » Tue Feb 09, 2010 7:55 pm

Oh my. My beloved 8.1.1; which I had posted was fantastic, has now died. Upon recording a new clip, there's an audible pop/crackle/snap that now fires off as soon as I'm done recording and start the clip a loopin'. Hmm. This is brand new, never before seen.

It happens whether I'm recording my guitar using an external source, or recording into an audio clip from a MIDI source such as a soft synth. Recording and playback of MIDI clips don't seem to be a problem.

This is happening while using my Motu. It's also happening using the MacBook soundcard.

I've updated none of my software, changed prefs, etc etc. The only thing I've done is delete some tracks that were no longer being used by an external hardware synth that I just sold. I've checked my routing after this, and all seems well.

I've done every kind of troubleshooting I can think of, yet the problem persists. It's there in the new beta. It's there for 8.0.8. It's NOT there for 8.0.1

I've started a completely new set with 8.1.1 with only 2 tracks; one for guitar input and one for recording clips. No plugs at all. Absolutely straight simple test set. Pops are still there. SHIT!

I'm at a total loss as to what this might be, and am open to suggestions. This just started last week. Prior to that 8.1.1 was rock solid. Hell, I've GIGGED out with it. Anyhoo, I'm now at the mercy of the next beta. Going back to recreate stuff like my drum racks in version 8.0.1 is going to be an impossible nightmare. I always save 2 different versions of my sets; one for the current Live and one for the prior release. So I'm screwed. :evil:
:?:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

scientist

Re: New Snap! New Crackle! New Pop!

Post by scientist » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:22 pm

changed warp mode to complex pro, maybe? its always had looping issues for me.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:50 am

Thanks for the suggestion, scientist. Interesting to be sure, but unfortunately that wasn't it.

Went back and checked my audio prefs on the MacBook. Nothing changed there either. It's really bumming me out at this point.

:|

scientist

Post by scientist » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:27 am

just had another thought...how much space is left on the hard drive? i've had seemingly untraceable glitches that were caused be a nearly full hd.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:20 pm

Another good point, but I've got a good 20GB left. :(

Looks like I've got a lot of drum racks to rebuild in 8.0.8.

Abes? Are you out there? lol.

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:35 pm

hi LoopStationZebra,

to help you further, I'd like to ask if you can send me your log.txt and maybe the smallest possible self contained set (with samples) demonstrating the crackles for investigation directly to mayrock@ableton.com ?

best wishes,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:19 pm

Matthias wrote:hi LoopStationZebra,

to help you further, I'd like to ask if you can send me your log.txt and maybe the smallest possible self contained set (with samples) demonstrating the crackles for investigation directly to mayrock@ableton.com ?

best wishes,
matthias
You bet, Matthias. Assembling now. Tnx

LoopStationZebra

Re: [mma] New Snap! New Crackle! New Pop!

Post by LoopStationZebra » Thu Feb 11, 2010 4:18 pm

meh. Just rebuilt my set back in 8.0.8. No snap crackle pop during clip playback after recording.

Instead I get snap crackle pop everytime I hit the stop button or mixer button or, um, any button on the Launchpad.

This actually occurred the first time around using 8.0.8 way back when, but I had forgotten about it because 8.1.1 pretty fast after.

Good GOD. :evil:

Man, for some reason I never grabbed 8.0.9. Anyone have it that they can send along? lol.

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:13 pm

Hi LoopStationZebra,

I did not discover any crackles when I played your set. I have you admit I did not have the plug-ins you used. When experiencing the crackles, does the hard disc overload indicator light up in the right upper corner of Live?

best wishes,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:50 pm

Matthias wrote:Hi LoopStationZebra,

I did not discover any crackles when I played your set. I have you admit I did not have the plug-ins you used. When experiencing the crackles, does the hard disc overload indicator light up in the right upper corner of Live?

best wishes,
matthias

Even when I turn off all plugs, and start a new set with only 2 tracks, the problem is still there.

The hard disc does not overload at all; regardless of whether I'm on the full set or 2 track test.

Per my last message above, I've tried 8.0.8 and am getting no crackles during recording/playback, but on the use of the LP.

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Sat Feb 13, 2010 2:55 pm

Matthias/Ableton,

Would love to get my hands on 8.0.9 to try it out; see if it eliminates my new crackling with the LP.

I've sent an email with this request but haven't heard back yet. What's the status?

Tnx

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:23 pm

Can I ask what you are doing to 'stop recording' and what your are using to control this/ You mention launchpad. When at first you said you had a simple set, input track for guitar and track for recording loops, how is the input routed, from the audio in track to the loop recording track? And when you stop the loop, how do you stop it?

I plan to try the same thing on windows, just guitar in and recording loops, which is why I ask. I am assuming you are using electric guitar into the interface (not mic'ed guitar) let me know if that is wrong.

What I have been doing is slightly different, recording audio from a softsynth being triggered by a midi controller, and I do not have this problem, but I want to be doing some guitar looping also so I am interested in the problem.

It seems like it would be even more significant to the Live dev folk if it occurred on windows as well as mac.
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Mon Feb 15, 2010 9:17 am

hi LoopStationZebra,

So it seems to be high peak load and no disc problem. If you are not using Complex Pro, I suggest that you try to increase the audio in/out buffer size in preferences. Additionally it would be interessting if the problems persist if you remove your MIDI controllers and maybe remove Soundflower.

best wishes,
matthias
Matthias Mayrock
ableton development team
mayrock@ableton.com

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:20 pm

mikemc wrote:Can I ask what you are doing to 'stop recording' and what your are using to control this/ You mention launchpad. When at first you said you had a simple set, input track for guitar and track for recording loops, how is the input routed, from the audio in track to the loop recording track? And when you stop the loop, how do you stop it?

I plan to try the same thing on windows, just guitar in and recording loops, which is why I ask. I am assuming you are using electric guitar into the interface (not mic'ed guitar) let me know if that is wrong.

What I have been doing is slightly different, recording audio from a softsynth being triggered by a midi controller, and I do not have this problem, but I want to be doing some guitar looping also so I am interested in the problem.

It seems like it would be even more significant to the Live dev folk if it occurred on windows as well as mac.

Stop recording/start play is controlled using the FCB1010 or Launchpad. BUT...the crackle is there upon start no matter what I use - including the mouse.

For my simple 2 track test:
Guitar Input track takes the audio from a channel on the Motu. The audio out goes to either sends or master. Doesn't matter which in terms of results.
The Loop track takes the audio In from the Guitar Input track. Output to master.
That's it. Very straightforward.

For my larger sets I've got more complex routing in order to control live/direct volume vs loop volume vs loopFX volume, etc. I stripped all that out for my 2 track test and it still fails.

This isn't a Motu issue. It's an AUDIO track issue. When I create a MIDI track and drop in a softsynth, then record to an audio track, the snap and crackle is there as well - right when I start the clip playback.

mikemc

Post by mikemc » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:28 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
mikemc wrote:Can I ask what you are doing to 'stop recording' and what your are using to control this/ You mention launchpad. When at first you said you had a simple set, input track for guitar and track for recording loops, how is the input routed, from the audio in track to the loop recording track? And when you stop the loop, how do you stop it?

Stop recording/start play is controlled using the FCB1010 or Launchpad. BUT...the crackle is there upon start no matter what I use - including the mouse.

For my simple 2 track test:
Guitar Input track takes the audio from a channel on the Motu. The audio out goes to either sends or master. Doesn't matter which in terms of results.
The Loop track takes the audio In from the Guitar Input track. Output to master.
That's it. Very straightforward.

For my larger sets I've got more complex routing in order to control live/direct volume vs loop volume vs loopFX volume, etc. I stripped all that out for my 2 track test and it still fails.

This isn't a Motu issue. It's an AUDIO track issue. When I create a MIDI track and drop in a softsynth, then record to an audio track, the snap and crackle is there as well - right when I start the clip playback.
Ok, I will try this later today. BTW, do you know what video card you have in your Mac?
UTENZIL a tool... of the muse.