m-audio 410 disconnects often.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
leandro

Post by leandro » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:14 pm

reinstalling windows is useless... at least to me. i already changed my pc 3 times and still have the same problems as before.

noou: do u have any friend with an m-audio fw soundcard ? if so, try his soundcard on your laptop to see if the problem persist...
also.. had u tryed using your laptop on some other room of the house ?
iMac i7 - Macbook Pro i7 - Motu 8pre FW + 828 MKii - SSD HD

noou

Post by noou » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:04 pm

poshook wrote:My FW410 worked 6 months with no problems. Last week I changed my MB and CPU without reinstalling windows. now I have the same problem like you.
Binarywords is right....we need reinstalled windows
that doesn't make sense. I installed windows on my laptop from scratch and I got that problem from the beginning.

for leandro: I don't know anybody owning a M-Audio interface...
and I just used the laptop once on stage and all went well... I never used it in another room for more than 2/3 hours. but it goes well also in my room for 2/3 hours. so I guess it doesn't help...
I tried to change plug in the same room but that doesn't make any difference in the long term...
.:: (noou) - electronic + music ::.
noou.bandcamp.com

leandro

Post by leandro » Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:32 am

noou: had u tryed using it with the 4 pin cable? i also think that this problem might be related to the firewire card...
my fw410 also gets often disconnected... so, im gonna try this two things too and will keep u posted
iMac i7 - Macbook Pro i7 - Motu 8pre FW + 828 MKii - SSD HD

noou

Post by noou » Fri Mar 17, 2006 9:18 am

leandro wrote:noou: had u tryed using it with the 4 pin cable? i also think that this problem might be related to the firewire card...
my fw410 also gets often disconnected... so, im gonna try this two things too and will keep u posted
Yes I only used it with the 4pin-6pin cable: my laptop (as anyone's I guess) has only a 4pin fw port. I don't have any 6pin port 'cause my desktop is pretty old...
Maybe we should update drivers for the fw port... or change them to Ricoh or other brand compatible mode. As you know winxp installs them and they never get updated
noou.bandcamp.com

Smashed Hat

Post by Smashed Hat » Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:37 am

I had a similar problem with my FW1814, the 4 pin port on the side of my laptop was loose and it crashed at two separate gigs in front of a crowd.

I sent the laptop back to Carillon who took 5 MONTHS!!! to sort it out.

Not much use to you I know, but I just wanted to get that off my chest.
Scan 3xs Power DAW, Quad Core 2.66Ghz, 2 meg RAM, 3x500gig 7200rpm HDD's, M Audio FW1814

poshook

Post by poshook » Sat Mar 18, 2006 7:07 pm

did any1 try to use older drivers?

poshook

Post by poshook » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:46 am

another question. has any1 from you syncrosoft license control with dongle emu (h20) installed? I think there could be the problem

noou

Post by noou » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:40 am

I had the same problem with every driver I used. Now I'm using the 5036.

No EMU Dongle....

I contacted the local distributor (I gave up with M-Audio FAKE support :evil: ) and I hope they'll find a solution...
noou.bandcamp.com

rupps

maybe this helps...

Post by rupps » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:05 am

Well although I don't own any of these soundcards right now, I have to say this problem was why I decided to sell them. I owned a FW410 (2 years) and then a FW1814 (4 days), and had that (frequent and irritating) problem in both of them. M-Audio support only suggested the stupid/obvious things ("have you installed the drivers correctly?", "is your cable broken" etc etc etc)

I got so used to this problem that maybe I can offer some help on how to avoid it and, shall it happens, how to recover LIVE.

In my case, one of the causes was the FW410 and FW1814 happened to be VERY sensible to the power quality. Believe it or not, I had my FW410 up and running, then I plugged a heater and !!! Crash !!!. If instead of the heater I started the washing machine !!! crash !!! . It was strange, because the power in my house is not bad, I live in the city center and never ever had a problem.

If I used the AC adaptor instead of Firewire-powered mode, things improved, but it was NOT a definitive solution, as if I turned on and off the washing machine some 3 or 4 times ... !!! crash !!!

My guess: Peaks in AC power affect the FW/410 and FW/1814 badly.

Ok .... Another thing ... what to do when we have that cool error window. Here's the best I found to try to keep Live working:

1) disconnect the firewire cable from the card
2) wait a few seconds
3) Press the "ok" button in the window
4) Go to the Audio preferences window
5) Select "No Audio"
6) Exit the preferences window, press "STOP" and (optional) save your work
7) Connect the firewire cable
8) wait a few seconds (you know, till the blue light stops blinking)
9) Audio preferences window>select M-Audio ASIO

chances are you can recover your system.

Ok ... hope this helps anybody. And if you want to definitely gete rid of this problem.... buy a MOTU. That's what I did and I have to say my quality of life has improved, i am happier, flowers grow, birds sing at the dawn ...

noou

Post by noou » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:04 pm

Hi there, as I previously posted I also found the problems concurrent with switching lamps or other things... so you confirm the electric issue.

Now the only solution (not considering selling the 410...) is to buy a ac stabilizer. And many multiple plugs (costing 30/40€, damn!) include a stabilizer.

So I'll try it!
noou.bandcamp.com

rupps

AC stabilizer

Post by rupps » Thu Mar 23, 2006 12:10 pm

Hey there! I tried many (cheap) stabilizers and none worked :( I tried stabilized multiple plugs and even a UPS. I guess you have to buy an expensive, real stabilizer, as the multiple plugs often only include a couple of varistors and capacitors, and they are quite slow components for removing AC peaks.

abletoff

Post by abletoff » Thu Mar 23, 2006 2:16 pm

I'm trying with a stabilized power supply AND firewire 6 pin powered connection.
Don't understand why m-audio reccomends not to use p/s when using 6 pin though.
Live 9 Suite, audio trackles (several audio tracks that crackle)

rupps

Post by rupps » Mon Mar 27, 2006 9:25 am

wish U best of lucks my friend...

rikhyray

Post by rikhyray » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:23 am

I am sorry to respond so late. When I read all these suggestions about reinstalling OS, cables etc etc it makes me angry because I went through all that "por gusto" . Though there might happen to be other reasons it is all about power. I wasted lot of time, finally solved it with more powerfull power supply. While it was happenning every few hours or days or minutes, with new power supply ( that M audio sent me) it works almost OK for past few months
Almost because i did deactvate once. Once in few months ( with daily 10-14 hours use) may sound Ok but not for me, at least not for stage. So now I use double system Indigo for main sequencer and m audio for synth plugins ( it wont be end of the world if it deactivates on stage). But honestly i will do it till I find good replacment and then never ever buy, borrow,get as present look at, whatever anything M audio.
Beware that stage is muchmore tricky then any other place, specially with some sophisticated lights etc.
So dont bother too much getting golden cables, cards, reinstalling whatever, you will be wasting your time and money.
BTW. the best M audio support is U.K., worth calling.

poshook

Post by poshook » Mon Mar 27, 2006 11:46 am

rikhyray wrote:I am sorry to respond so late. When I read all these suggestions about reinstalling OS, cables etc etc it makes me angry because I went through all that "por gusto" . Though there might happen to be other reasons it is all about power. I wasted lot of time, finally solved it with more powerfull power supply. While it was happenning every few hours or days or minutes, with new power supply ( that M audio sent me) it works almost OK for past few months
Almost because i did deactvate once. Once in few months ( with daily 10-14 hours use) may sound Ok but not for me, at least not for stage. So now I use double system Indigo for main sequencer and m audio for synth plugins ( it wont be end of the world if it deactivates on stage). But honestly i will do it till I find good replacment and then never ever buy, borrow,get as present look at, whatever anything M audio.
Beware that stage is muchmore tricky then any other place, specially with some sophisticated lights etc.
So dont bother too much getting golden cables, cards, reinstalling whatever, you will be wasting your time and money.
BTW. the best M audio support is U.K., worth calling.
I have chaged my Power Supply for the new one much powerful but the problem persists.