DJing with Live 8 and turntables

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
christopherjohn

DJing with Live 8 and turntables

Post by christopherjohn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:42 am

Hey Everyone,
Sorry if this seems like a dumb question but my buddy and I get together every so often to mix. He uses vinyl and I have made the switch to Live. I have a question in regards to mixing when I mix out of his tracks back into Live. When mixing out of my buddy's track I have to manually beat match my track in Live. I have no problems doing that but was wondering if there is away to re-quantize (sorry if my terminology is incorrect) my tracks in Live so I don't have to manually beat match again. So far the only way I have been able to do this is if I actually stop my track and play it again.

Any help regarding this would be great and if I haven't explained myself very well please let me know.

Thanks,

stealth1

Re: DJing with Live 8 and turntables

Post by stealth1 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:54 am

I'm assuming that you are turning global quantize to none??

so instead:

Set you're global quantize to 1/32, that way you still get really sharp release times whilst beat matching to decks whilst still maintaining the global synching of all tracks in you're session.
ABLETON CERTIFIED TRAINER

http://www.myspace.com/stealth1sound

Trypset

Post by Trypset » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:49 am

I do it like this

Global set to 1/2

Clips set to 1/2
Play around with the quantize settings to find something you are comfortable with.

Transport controls on nanoKontrol control the nudge functions.
A slider on the nanoKontrol is set to a 20 BPM range. I can pitch ride just like on a deck....works great to mix Ableton in with records. No harder than matching a deck IMO>
TrypseT
Live 8 Full (not suite), ES-1 MKII, Microkorg, MPC 1000, 2 1200's, Ms. Pinky's, OSX, Edirol FA-101, and a crate 'o' wax

christopherjohn

Post by christopherjohn » Tue Feb 09, 2010 8:48 pm

Thanks guys I will give these ideas a try.