Trilian changed the way I see soft synth VA's

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Trilian changed the way I see soft synth VA's

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:22 am

Ok, so we all know Spectrasonics Trilian is a Bass module, and much is said about the Stand up Basses and electric basses etc. Yes they are very nice. But for RAW Analog vintage type beefy synth sounds, it simply blows all VA's out of the water for mono synths and Basses. It has an absolutely amazing library of sampled synth oscillators. Now I'm not one of those people who have always been saying "Soft synths just don't cut it, they're nowhere near as good, bla bla bla...", but over the past year or two, having been more than satisfied with all the monster do-it-all synth plug-ins, I've been seeking out the beefiest, dirtiest, phatest striaght simple up analog style sounds, mainly for the Gnarliest Basses and mono synths. The standouts in this department being things like Poly-Ana, Synth Squad, Massive, ACE, Korg Legacy Analog, Sylenth1, Minimonsta, etc., to name a few. And they are all great.

But, having gotten Trilian (largely for the synth library), I have to finally admit that the sampled sources do in fact have a shit load of mojo that soft synth oscillators do not quite. This does not deter at all from how much I love my plug-in synths though, and there is also so much you can only do with soft synths these days. But for the simple straight up analog tones, Trilian really destroys everything else in plug-in land. It's the kind of thing, like the old hardware analogs, that you can just stack a couple oscillators and a filter and have an amazingly full and simple sound that can do so much, It helps too that the filters are quite excellent and has a great modulation system and nice extras like FM that sound great too.

Sometimes I now look at some of my soft synths that I had acquired strictly for this kind of thing and think "Shit do I need any of these anymore?" In fact I've already sold off DCAM Synth Squad and the Arturia V-Collection and am wondering if I should bother keeping Sylenth1....
Professional Shark Jumper.

liveISlife

Re: Trilian changed the way I see soft synth VA's

Post by liveISlife » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:12 am

Trilian is pretty gnarly, bro.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:52 am

Anyone looking for that ultimate phat analog mono synth tone would do well to check out this video:
http://vimeo.com/7310621

That shows things off pretty nicely.

Just a heads up because I've been looking for these types of sounds in software for a while and I think Trilian nails what I was after pretty well.

liveISlife

Post by liveISlife » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:57 am

Stop procrastinating and get off this forum.

Cool Character

Post by Cool Character » Thu Jan 14, 2010 7:04 am

If you want to create a fat synth, hire a fat man.

starving student

Post by starving student » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:55 am

what kind of monitors is Eric using for the demo

dbolt

Post by dbolt » Thu Jan 14, 2010 12:08 pm

Cool Character wrote:If you want to create a fat synth, hire a fat man.
It's funny that you say that because there is a patch called "Big Fat American" and it has an image of this huge white Americans belly.... and the sound is huge.... I think its a little phatty source and something else not sure but its a favorite.... if you haven't heard this patch for you Trilian users go search it..

This is huge and I've been meaning to send an email and post this but the Specs are super busy right now with NAMM going on their office is close for a week......but I also have Omnisphere and I'm hoping they update it's main page to match Trilian's new main page.. I would think it could be in a software update...

I'm really digging Trilian and I too have a lot of softsynths and I actually have a littly phatty and I prefer Trilian so far that is I've only had Trilian for 2 days..... but to have the OSC. from LP and then have another layer with the SH101 it's sick and the Spectrasonics FX are pretty good....

Fledz

Post by Fledz » Thu Jan 14, 2010 1:32 pm

Trillian is dead set amazing. I'm still shocked at how powerful the synth basses are. Definitely one of my best purchases ever.

I'm currently waiting for my bonus from work. Guess what I'm buying? Yep, Omnisphere :D

ChiDJ

Post by ChiDJ » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:24 pm

Would you guys please shut the fuck up about Trillian?!!!

You're giving away some of our best "pro" secrets!

Now, everyone's gonna have great bass lines! Fuck!!!

I kid. :wink: I love it! Been using it non-stop in my tracks lately.

Tod
"Let you're body feel the sound! Let it cover you up and down!"

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:58 pm

I don't own any of Spectrasonics plug ins, but I really wish I did. Both Omnishpere and Trilian have such a huge sound to them. I would love to just reverse engineer the presets to see how Eric performs his magic. Great thread!!!
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:16 pm

The basses in Omni are amazing too, so many useable patches that are just huge. Eric definitely knows how to make quality sounds.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jan 14, 2010 3:53 pm

ChiDJ wrote:Would you guys please shut the fuck up about Trillian?!!!

You're giving away some of our best "pro" secrets!

Now, everyone's gonna have great bass lines! Fuck!!!
:lol:

I get the feeling that Trilian is actually a bit of Synth secret weapon, since it's it's seen as a Bass Rompler foremost. It definitely satisfies my desire for the emulations of things like Minimoogs, SH-101, 303, Pro-One etc. For example I've wanted a really accurate SH-101 emulation for a while. TAL-Baseline certaily did a fine job there and Strobe also could get much of that character, especially with the filter. And of course D16's new Shioiter is their uber 101 offering which I'm sure will be nice. However now having Trilian, I just can't be bothered the rest. Which is a very nice feeling. Gear lust satiated! (in this particular category).

jamief

Post by jamief » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:14 pm

ive got all the spectrasonics vsts including the older ones like atmosphere trilogy and stylus.
Stylus rmx on first look appears reasonable but once you get inside and alternate the way it runs it truly is amazing.
Omnsiphere is again sounding great on first impressions but behind the presets there is ahuge adep liabry of sounds waiting to be used- it is fantastic !
WIth trillian it has that instant wow factor but so far despite having it for 3 months or so i havent used it too much. I kind aneed to geunder the hood a bit a see what i can find thats different.
:)

3phase

Post by 3phase » Thu Jan 14, 2010 5:35 pm

you are advertizing this thing well.. it seems that they dont have a demo version..is that wright or have i overseen it?

and its sample based? so basically a sample libary with some extra filter and FX?

how much space does this thing take on your harddrive?
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Thu Jan 14, 2010 6:27 pm

3phase wrote:you are advertizing this thing well.. it seems that they dont have a demo version..is that wright or have i overseen it?

and its sample based? so basically a sample libary with some extra filter and FX?

how much space does this thing take on your harddrive?
Sample Based yes.

Total size is a mere 34gb or so... :wink: maybe 38 can't remember.

But of course most of that is the Acoustic Stand up basses and electric bassess. The big daddy Acoustic has 22,000 samnples and a is a couple gb alone. The synth part is tiny compared to the rest. Of course most people won't be willing to sacrifice all that space for just the synth portion, thus making it all the more of a secret weapon for those of us who have it!