"reconnect midi control surfaces" shortcut/button

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
ksaitor

"reconnect midi control surfaces" shortcut/button

Post by ksaitor » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:56 pm

Previously i thought that it is impossible to make Live communicate with my MIDI equipment after it(Live) is launched.
Main problem is if during life session any controller gets unplugged or other connection error occures u have to restart Live.
However recently I found out that u can reconnect equipment by going to settings and changing MIDI port type in I/O settings of each device from DirectMusic to MME or vice versa.

Though this procedure does work it also takes enormous amount of time, that is a scarce during live session or even in studio.
I think that Ableton programmers should come with a way to "plug&play" equipment at any given moment. If it is realization is complicated due to what ever reason there is, it will be great to implement at least a button/key shortcut that twice changes MIDI port type in all(or some) existing MIDI ports.

ps
i think that it also be useful to have some parameters from settings menu to be assignable to controllers to offer more flexibility.

EddieJ

Re: "reconnect midi control surfaces" shortcut/button

Post by EddieJ » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:32 am

I wouldn't expect a capability to recognize new gear after the session is opened, but an ability to reconnect MIDI or audio gear that may become disconnected during a live set would be tops.

ksaitor

Re: "reconnect midi control surfaces" shortcut/button

Post by ksaitor » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:33 am

Though i don't have a specific knowledge in MIDI protocol and how it's support realized in Live, but according to simple analyses of what happens after changing MIDI port type it is 5 lines of code + gui to add. This way is a clumsy solution of a problem and i personally don't like it, i hope Ableton programmers don't like those ways too, but for the first time it will work. It will be a blessing :D