Changing the APC40 mappings for built-in devices

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
glenc

Changing the APC40 mappings for built-in devices

Post by glenc » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:11 pm

Hi guys,

I'm fairly new to the APC40, and apologies if this has been answered before. but:

Is it possible to change the default pot mappings for Live's built-in devices? Some of the mappings that it uses by default are very broken and unusable, and it would be great to be able to reconfigure what your default mappings are for the pots (in the same way as you set up default mappings for a device in Novation Automap).

Is there any way to achieve this? I have read elsewhere that you can kind of hack around this by wrapping every device in a rack and then binding the rack macro-controls how you want them, but that is a bit of an ugly solution. What I really want to do is just change the knob assignments for the raw devices themselves.

Any help is much appreciated.
Mushroom Jazz-style soul-hop and jazz jams: http://www.shelltoesmusic.com

Alextronica

Re: Changing the APC40 mappings for built-in devices

Post by Alextronica » Sun Oct 11, 2009 12:40 am

Dont think you'll have much luck on that front. without Bomes then again I dont think Bomes will help either but I dont know for sure. Might be a job for M4L but again not sure.

There is the racks thing. Yes you only get 8 knobs OR there are 8 banks of knobs in the device control

You can remap those. The only thing is they stay remapped no matter the device you have highlighted.

For example if you press shift bank 8 (metronome button) you will be in Bank 8, enter Midi map mode and assign a knob to say a EQ. Now no matter if you are controlling a beat repeat on a different track that knob you reassigned in bank 8 still controls the EQ of the previous track.

I know your not gonna like that either but thats just the APC.
Black Mac Book 2.16 4gigs of Ram > Ableton 7 Suite > Komplete 5 > APC40 > Novation Remote SL25 > Allen and Heath Xone 92 > Korg Kaoscillator

www.soundcloud.com/Alextronica

glenc

Post by glenc » Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:29 am

Thanks for the reply Alex. Yes kind of a bummer ... I hope that M4L resolves this in future. Even if they provided the names of some XML or config files that could be hand-edited to rebind these functions, that would be better than nothing.

I actually think it's good that when you manually MIDI map something on the APC40 it stays static regardless of which track you have selected, since this lets you set up banks of controls for quick access whilst playing live (e.g. filter and res for 4 tracks on a single bank of knobs ... toggling between track to access this when you're playing live is a no-go).

It would just make the APC40 so much more of a formidable piece of gear if it could combine the best of both worlds: automap-style config for devices, as well as the MIDI-map style multi-track access. In practice, you would probably end up using banks 5-8 for the MIDI-map stuff and making sure that you configured your device templates to only use banks 1-4. That would be a pretty workable compromise.
Mushroom Jazz-style soul-hop and jazz jams: http://www.shelltoesmusic.com

dinaiz

Post by dinaiz » Sun Oct 25, 2009 6:52 pm

However, you have different maping schemes. You can check them here :
http://www.nativekontrol.com/uploads/Li ... apping.pdf