To Yamaha 01x and Mackie Control users

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Jajah

To Yamaha 01x and Mackie Control users

Post by Jajah » Thu Sep 02, 2004 9:14 am

Oye there,

you are invited to try out MC Commander for Live beta, and your feedback is much appreciated. MCCL is free, and runs on PC under Windows. See features below. To get it, hop to the user group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mcclive.

Stay safe,
Jajah

snip from readme.txt:

MC Commander for Live
Version 1.0 beta 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MC Commander for Live (a.k.a MCCL) enhances the functionality of control surfaces supporting the Mackie Control protocol, when they are used in conjunction with Live sequencer software from Ableton, as this latter doesn´t yet implement this protocol. Typically, it enables you to control many more sequencer tracks than you could with just connecting your control surface to Live. It streams clean feedback from Live to the remote LCD screen and LEDs, and can help correct some motorfaders issues. It maintains a two-way state synchronization between most of the remoted controls.
Sytem requirements
Tested devices and softs are in (). Please provide more tested platform components via the MCCL group.
-PC under MS Windows (XP Pro SP1).
-Mackie Control compatible MIDI control surface (Yamaha 01x).
-Virtual shared MIDI ports (MIDI Yoke)
-Ableton Live sequencer (v4.0.1)
Features
-Remote control up to 64 tracks.
-LCD screen track numbers and parameter names/values printout, button LEDs feedback.
-Most of the remote controls stay in sync when tweaked directly in Live.
-Controls for each track: gain, pan, sends (up to 8 ), mute, solo/cue, record arm, fade group, track select, track clip play/stop.
-Main track controls: main gain, cue gain, crossfade, scroll scenes, select next/previous scene, scene play, stop all clips.
-Global controls: Tap, tempo, groove, metronome, follow, play/stop/record, MIDI overdub, back to arrange, draw mode, loop, punch in/out
-Useful extra functionnality: anymute/anysolo/anyarm/anygroup feedback, mute/unmute all, solo/unsolo all, arm/unarm all, group/ungroup all, reset mix.
-No hacking, just plain Live MIDI remote functionality is being used.
-Extremely small footprint, under 0.01ms MIDI latency added on a PIII 1Ghz.
Limitations
Track record arm and group assign switches are not synchronized on the remote if changed within Live. They must be reset to a state coherent with the remote within Live itself (mostly a one click job).

nz

Mac version?!?!?

Post by nz » Thu Sep 02, 2004 11:46 am

I am staring at my 01x as I type this and would love to control more than just the transport functions in LIVE 4 in OSX.

Any chance that this will be ported to Mac any time soon? I'll bet a ton of Mac users would love this as well.

Thanks.

nz
MacBook Pro/Mac Mini
Ableton Live 10

Jajah

Post by Jajah » Thu Sep 02, 2004 5:23 pm

Oye NZ,

I have been aware of a potential Mac users frustration the minute I decided to publish MCCL, and I sincerely wish I was able to help right away :oops: . But I started to write this program for my own use, in a language unfortunately not available on Mac, chosen for prototyping speed and robustness. Though, now that the concept and design are stabilized, and if I feel that there is sufficient demand, I will gladly re-write it in C++ for an easier port to Mac. Yet, then I´ll need either a Mac myself, or help from a cool soul with Mac programming skills to write the port.

In short, a Mac port is in the pipe.

Stay safe,
Jajah

Jajah

Post by Jajah » Wed Sep 22, 2004 8:23 am

MCCL Beta 2 is online.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mcclive/

Feedback wanted, enjoy.

Jajah

Change log
v1.0 beta 2:
-Custom track names management implemented.
-Better dynamic MIDI devices management (eg USB, mLAN/FireWire)

jondough

Mackie Control

Post by jondough » Wed Sep 22, 2004 2:15 pm

Sup Jajah?

I'm looking forward to testing out your MCCL beta tonite. All of your thorough documentation is commendable, but I do have a question stemming from your readme txt.

Where you state "-Click Ok, make sure your control surface is connected and ready (an 01x needs to be in "Remote" mode, with the "REMOTE" parameter of the "UTILITY" page set to "GENERAL")." I'm ignorant as to how to set my MC to remote mode or how to find my "utility" page.

T.I.A. & keep up the good work

Jajah

Post by Jajah » Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:05 pm

Jondough,

this release is still very much 01x-tainted, so a) don't search for a REMOTE parameter on your Mackie, that's the one and only mode it has (the 01x is also a standalone digimixer). b) don't expect things to work (yet) as intended on a Mackie, sorry =/ check the doc or readme at "Known bugs".

I'm working on it, next beta is definitely aimed at MC owners, and will be available very soon. Though, I'd like to take a bit of time to discuss and plan accordingly a general control layout that would fit for all, not just 01x. So your input is very important, check the user group often and post your ideas.

Stay safe,
Jajah

Zayne

Post by Zayne » Wed Oct 06, 2004 9:05 pm

Wow! I can't believe I haven't seen this posting until now! I'm gonna have a try at this and become an active tester. Thanks in anticipation for the effort.

Cheers

Zayne

William

Post by William » Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:38 pm

How is this working? I really want to purchase a Mackie Control to use with Live 4...

William

autoy

Post by autoy » Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:56 am

Also Behringer BCF2000 and Korg Microkontrol/Kontrol49 support would be great.

cheers.

Jajah

Post by Jajah » Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:45 am

Hiho,

I'm glad there's interest in the matter. I've been busy elsewhere in the last couple of months, but I put MCCL back on the workbench a few days ago, and tied myself to the chair. Great things coming, including for Microkontrol users (or any MIDI controler really).

Register on MCCL's webpage to stay tuned (no spam), input much appreciated.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/mcclive/

Stay safe,
Jajah

nz

Post by nz » Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:30 am

I just wish there was a Mac version...
MacBook Pro/Mac Mini
Ableton Live 10

Jajah

Post by Jajah » Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:36 pm

I wish it too, so it'll prolly happen...

scientist

Post by scientist » Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:18 pm

wow, just seeing this for the first time. great work. i'm on osx with a fw 1884 myself, so i can't use it quite yet. one thing though: in the last support email i got from ableton, they strongly hinted that there may be mackie control support in the next major update (like a 4.5 or 5.0). i'd hate to see you go to all this work only to have it be obsolete in a few months, but maybe you know more about their progress than i do. good luck nonetheless!
science

Jajah

Post by Jajah » Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:14 am

I'd be VERY happy to see native MC/LC controlers support in Live, as it would hopefully be better than anything I could program as an add-on.

Nevertheless, the time I put in MCCL isn't lost, as :
- a bunch of 01x owners like me have been using it for 6 months already. If it can help others alike for a few more months, I'll be happy.
- while it's not documented or supported atm, I already use MCCL with other apps like Reaktor or Console (yes, I'm a modular systems freak). I will enhance and ease this possibility.
- the concept has led me to other nice tools ideas, not especially targetted at Live or MC/LC controlers, for which I will re-use some of MCCL's design and code.

In short, that's rather good news, I wish some Able can confirm. Meanwhile, I'm going back to my code, so beta 3 is out soon ;)