Live warp engine licensed to Steinberg???

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
majestic

Live warp engine licensed to Steinberg???

Post by majestic » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:20 am

According to a post at KVR today, the Abletons have licensed the Live warp engine to Steinberg and it's incorporated into SX3. Anyone know more about that? I knew that SX3 would have warping / granular resynthesis, but not that it actually used Live's code...

http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/viewtopic. ... sc&start=0

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:27 am

Still prefer Live. 8)

Komplex

Post by Komplex » Thu Sep 02, 2004 1:34 am

Seems logical.

And since both products don't really compete with each other (purpose, users, price range etc), its probably a good move.

It would be nice if live's audio engine was brought up to the standard of Cubase's.

Is that posible Ableton guy's? An eye for an eye?

AdamJay

Post by AdamJay » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:32 am

welll they do compete price range wise. since Live 4 - Cubase SX2 went down to... you guessed it, $399.

but more power to Ableton. get $ where you can before Bush nukes the whole fucking planet.

Moonburnt

Post by Moonburnt » Thu Sep 02, 2004 2:52 am

um, woohoo, I guess. But I give that KVR post about as much credibility as a tabloid newspaper. Pretty bloody unlikely that Ableton would sell its core audio engine to Steinberg, who would then magically be able to integrate it into its own engine (which has already purchased timestretching code from prosoniq, not to mention steinberg's own rex format)

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Thu Sep 02, 2004 3:15 am

fuck that.
for the love of Live

raapie

Post by raapie » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:20 am

I have had problems with Steinberg support. They simply don't answer your questions. I filled in a large webform at Pinnacle... never heard from these guys...

So now they can start blaiming Ableton when CUbase/Nuendo has a serious bug? ..... SX2.2 is at BETA35 now.... always beta, beta, beta, beta. Yes, I am very agree, I am running Nuendo 2.2 BETA 35 and they are almost releasing next version applications....

:oops: don't tell anyone about this...
Marco Raaphorst

music, sound & story maker

https://melodiefabriek.com

majestic

Post by majestic » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:43 am

Komplex wrote:It would be nice if live's audio engine was brought up to the standard of Cubase's. Is that posible Ableton guy's? An eye for an eye?
Well...to me, with warping disabled and no effects/EQ/etc., the audio engines of Live 4, SX2, LP6 and Garageband all sound the same (i.e. they all sound great).

The warping in SX3 won't sound any better than Live's audio, because it will also be using granular resynthesis. Offline timestretch algorithms like MPEX in Cubase work by applying changes to the entire sample, whereas (if I understand the manual correctly) granular resynthesis just "samples the sample" to extrapolate a good guess of the timestretched wave - that's why it works in real-time, and why the quality's not as good.

majestic

Post by majestic » Thu Sep 02, 2004 6:53 am

Moonburnt wrote:I give that KVR post about as much credibility as a tabloid newspaper.
Yeah, me too. If they have licensed the code though, it shouldn't be difficult to integrate unless it's spaghetti (as you say, they've already integrated other companies' code like MPEX).

BTW, from what I remember, Steinberg didn't invent REX, the Props did. They then licensed their timestretch technology to Steinberg and that early ReCycle code was integrated into Cubase v4. Later, the deal ended and the Props went out on their own again and released v1.6 of ReCycle. My memory may be wrong but I'm pretty sure that was the sequence of events.

::mic-minimal::

Post by ::mic-minimal:: » Thu Sep 02, 2004 7:05 am

ummm...not sure if I said it yet.....fuck that.
for the love of Live

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:11 am

Majestic you are correct about the rex format: Props invented it, liscensed it, then release Recycle when the agreement ended.

As for Cubase... its shit. I blame Steinberg personally for the mass amount of shit music we have around today. Stick Pro Tools up your arse too! :lol:

I'm an amateur baby!

Chris J

Post by Chris J » Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:15 am

Amberience, just listened to your track, did you do it on cubase ? :wink:

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:16 pm

IMHO anything that gives Ableton more financial input to develop this software further can only be a good thing.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:27 pm

I just checked out the Steinberg home page - from what it looks like Ableton has set the mark for all others to follow -

I think I'll stick with the little guy right here...know what I mean
Ableton | Elektron

Music

Amberience

Post by Amberience » Thu Sep 02, 2004 8:52 pm

Chris J wrote:Amberience, just listened to your track, did you do it on cubase ? :wink:
No. Reason 2.5. I only used Live to record the guitar.