Live 8.0.4 bootleg | Copy protection useless?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
$4mU3l

Live 8.0.4 bootleg | Copy protection useless?

Post by $4mU3l » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:02 am

...It's absurd and it seems that the pirates are only one step behind the abes...

That raises suspicion the "improved" more cpu consuming copy protection whas only invented to stress the cpu and nerves of paying and loyal customers like me???
Last edited by $4mU3l on Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:21 pm, edited 5 times in total.

djsynchro

Re: Ableton Suite 8.0.4 AiR available | Copy protection useless?

Post by djsynchro » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:05 am

not like you, YOU it was invented just to annoy you. I like it.

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:08 am

thanks for letting me know it's out there. I only had the 8.03.

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:11 am

djsynchro wrote:not like you, YOU it was invented just to annoy you. I like it.
I like it, wuhahaha :lol: Go ahead and produce your music by using the circuitous copy protection which costs me ours to unlock my non internet studio pc... :lol:

ollyb303

Post by ollyb303 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:16 am

timothyallan wrote:thanks for letting me know it's out there. I only had the 8.03.
ROFL!
.:O:B:1:.
ob1techno.com

mdb

Post by mdb » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:42 am

I want you to do yourself a favor. Go to piratebay.org and do a search for ANY software you could possibly want to install on your computer. Then report back to us with your findings! :mrgreen:

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:58 am

mdb wrote:I want you to do yourself a favor. Go to piratebay.org and do a search for ANY software you could possibly want to install on your computer. Then report back to us with your findings! :mrgreen:
I don't care for other softs, I only care for my cpu which is stressed more since I use Live 8. And to know that a huge amount of this cpu consumption is caused by the apparently useless copy protection leaves an unpleasant feeling...

BTW: Never got that fast and blanket replies to a technical related question... :wink:

alex.the.forge

Post by alex.the.forge » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:10 am

reflective7511 wrote: And to know that a huge amount of this cpu consumption is caused by the apparently useless copy protection leaves an unpleasant feeling...
:?: Dude, you just made that up. there is know way you are getting a CPU hit from the copy protection.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:16 am

Seriously, I can't imagine that the copy protection could use so much CPU, that seems absurd to me.
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:18 am

alex.the.forge wrote::?: Dude, you just made that up. there is know way you are getting a CPU hit from the copy protection.
The constant copy protection checks doesn't get feed by the air surrounding the cpu...

mdb

Post by mdb » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:21 am

Think of copy protection, like the door on your house.. It stops the whole neighborhood from just walking into your space and making themselves at home. But, the door itself doesnt really stop people from getting into your house if they REALLY want to get in. Its just a deterrent.

My point is, they have to protect thier assets anyway they can. If they didnt, they honestly wouldnt survive in this day and age. Its like a car dealer leaving the keys in all the cars on the lot! People can still steal the car without the keys, but the odds that they will go down A LOT when the keys arent in the ignition.

funky shit

Post by funky shit » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:31 am

Wait.. I register live8 on my laptop which is connected to the internet. I disabke the connection as in playin live. Wut happens?

d-track

Post by d-track » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:32 am

as far as i know, copy protection slowdowns only related to usb-locked daws... and live is not.
i remember when i used pirated stuff like logic 5 on pc, it was buggy because of the hard-to-crack protection, same with sx.
i had no problem with live when i used the pirated one, but some weak crack gave me copy protection error for a period of time, but not all of them. nothing to do with cpu usage i think...

i dont use pirated stuff, only some waves 5 plugs which are also buggy because ithave very good protection.
even more offtopic: can anyone recommend a free or a LOT cheaper alternative to the waves diamond pack?

cheerio

d

$4mU3l

Post by $4mU3l » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:33 am

mdb wrote:Think of copy protection, like the door on your house.. It stops the whole neighborhood from just walking into your space and making themselves at home. But, the door itself doesnt really stop people from getting into your house if they REALLY want to get in. Its just a deterrent.

My point is, they have to protect thier assets anyway they can. If they didnt, they honestly wouldnt survive in this day and age. Its like a car dealer leaving the keys in all the cars on the lot! People can still steal the car without the keys, but the odds that they will go down A LOT when the keys arent in the ignition.
Indeed, otherwise there will be no Live 9... But why do they try to win the forlorn fight by developing more complex protection algorithms every new version?!? At the expense of performance!

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:35 am

reflective7511 wrote:
mdb wrote:Think of copy protection, like the door on your house.. It stops the whole neighborhood from just walking into your space and making themselves at home. But, the door itself doesnt really stop people from getting into your house if they REALLY want to get in. Its just a deterrent.

Indeed, otherwise there will be no Live 9... But why do they try to win the forlorn fight by developing more complex protection algorithms every new version?!? At the expense of performance!
You think that is bad. Every time a customer support mail arrives at Ableton, Dom kills a puppy. Fact!