Proper GROOVE features and intelligent quantising.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
hyerstay

Post by hyerstay » Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:29 am

How about a popup menu in the clip properties with a selection of groove templates? Maybe a name plus a graphic preview for each. You could also right-click on any clip and "Add to Groove Templates". You could optionally have a default Groove Template for each track in the same way quantize is setup, where the global choice applies to all clips that don't have "none" or a separately chosen Groove Template.

jason

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:19 am

That was well put in your earlier illustrated post M. Bréqs. As you said, all the information is already present after warping a groovey track straight.

This app has the best potential for groove manipulation on the planet, it defies my belief that it's not higher on Ableton's agenda than auto warping (well, almost :? ) mp3s. I guess the awful truth is that it just sells more copies of Live to new users who are just concerned with chopping up and re using other peoples work. That kind of user is not concerned with groove because it's already present in the music they're mixing.

Sorry for the rant, I'm one of those that really hoped Live would head more in the direction of DAW than DJ tool, if there were a better workstation than Live on the PC platform i'd probably be switching about now. I'm finding working in the arrange view pretty annoying these days too, i just hate the way the startpoint always shifts to the start of your selected clip. I digress.

"No groove quantise, 2005, midi, no proper program change, 2005, midi, moving backwards we are!" said Yoda.

WaveRider

Re: Proper GROOVE features and intelligent quantising.

Post by WaveRider » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:40 pm

Martyn wrote:Is it too much to ask of a 2004 midi sequencer to have features that were taken for granted in cubase v1 on the Atari nearly 15 years ago?

It's INSANELY difficult to get groove going in a lot of the new type of sequencers,
I agree. Sequencers had better midi on the atari and on ms-dos PCs (before windows), more stable, better timing, and better editing functions.

Total mystery, there must be a new generation of programmers at work that ignore what has been done before....

WaveRider

Post by WaveRider » Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:42 pm

Martyn wrote: just hate the way the startpoint always shifts to the start of your selected clip. I digress.
yes this is insane.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Tue Nov 29, 2005 10:54 pm

Martyn wrote:That was well put in your earlier illustrated post M. Bréqs. As you said, all the information is already present after warping a groovey track straight.

This app has the best potential for groove manipulation on the planet...
I emailed Ableton a while back, detailing the idea of having groove master tracks and groove slave tracks - the response I got was something along the lines that "it's on the wishlist, but it's not easy to implement".

That gives me hope that at least they tried it. If they found it buggy, then I don't blame them for not putting it in v5. I was only getting exasperated when I thought there was no progress at all.

radeon

Post by radeon » Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:56 pm

tyhe poster starting this post in 2003 8O
yet still not the grrove quantise
maybeabletons could say for sure to addin six. It is time to let us knowing

tone4407

Post by tone4407 » Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:59 am

Lets go on strike! I'm not using Live anymore until they have proper groove quantizing. Logic has it...maybe I'll switch to Logic. Peace!

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:16 pm

Man o man. Feature request for version 6 please.

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Mon May 22, 2006 11:04 pm

monthly bump.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Tue May 23, 2006 1:08 am

M. Bréqs wrote:monthly bump.
:lol:

More like some kind of crusade you're on.

Fully with you there! (I'll believe it when I see it though)

I was messing around with a demo of Guru the other day, 8O I'd almost forgotten how important proper groove templates really are until I tried some of those bundled with it, I still can't believe they're not in Live already.

To be honest I use energyXT to write in these days, I pop back to the forum occasionally to see if anything's changed, platform wars etc :roll: I bounce audio into Live to mix and tweak, more out of habit than anything. When XT2 comes out I'll probably move to Linux (Live is just about the only windows program I still need) maybe even sell my Live license. we'll have to see what version 6 is like, but I'll have to seriously think about shelling out even more money for dj features I'll personally never use.

Ah well, keep on hunting for that missing groove :wink:

Earz

M

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Tue May 23, 2006 1:30 am

Martyn wrote:
M. Bréqs wrote:monthly bump.
:lol:

More like some kind of crusade you're on.

Fully with you there! (I'll believe it when I see it though)

I was messing around with a demo of Guru the other day, 8O I'd almost forgotten how important proper groove templates really are until I tried some of those bundled with it, I still can't believe they're not in Live already.

To be honest I use energyXT to write in these days, I pop back to the forum occasionally to see if anything's changed, platform wars etc :roll: I bounce audio into Live to mix and tweak, more out of habit than anything. When XT2 comes out I'll probably move to Linux (Live is just about the only windows program I still need) maybe even sell my Live license. we'll have to see what version 6 is like, but I'll have to seriously think about shelling out even more money for dj features I'll personally never use.

Ah well, keep on hunting for that missing groove :wink:

Earz

M
Yeah, I'm gonna give up on version 6 if there isn't something friggin fantastic there for me... ie groove templates. As it is, I'm starting to use Reason a lot more, and rewiring it into Live just for audio - all my midi sequencing is in reason, and I'm starting to find Live redundant at times... I mean, Reason's fine for the studio, but I really can't do without proper groove quantizing.

nuperspective
Location: was: accrington [england]. now: melbourne [australia]

Post by nuperspective » Tue May 23, 2006 6:54 am

couldnt agree more.

w1nt3rmut3

Post by w1nt3rmut3 » Tue May 23, 2006 10:38 am

I am also with you on this, and thank you for your diligence.

kooki415

Post by kooki415 » Thu May 25, 2006 8:04 pm

why make another section to the whole environment? why conform to the ideas of the makers of other software? why not do something way more awesome than just groove templates?

heres my idea.. implement warp markers for midi (REALLY SIMPLE TO DO!) and then create a system for dummy warp tracks, which would influence the affected tracks through user controllable interpolation.

pretty simple to implicate and way better than traditional groove quantizing IMHO

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Thu May 25, 2006 8:09 pm

kooki415 wrote:why make another section to the whole environment? why conform to the ideas of the makers of other software? why not do something way more awesome than just groove templates?

heres my idea.. implement warp markers for midi (REALLY SIMPLE TO DO!) and then create a system for dummy warp tracks, which would influence the affected tracks through user controllable interpolation.

pretty simple to implicate and way better than traditional groove quantizing IMHO
As long as your concept is completely user-proof, and I can take groove from sample A and apply it to sample B (and C and D) ON THE FLY without any preparation beforehand, I would agree with you.

What I want is to have say 5 channels with 5 different clips playing (audio and midi). I want to be able to hit a single button on any track and immediately designate the current playing clip in that channel as the MASTER groove clip. All the markers (if it's audio) or the actual midi events could be used to calculate a groove that would be forced on to all other playing clips in other channels.