Proper GROOVE features and intelligent quantising.

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
edIT

Post by edIT » Fri Aug 27, 2004 12:53 pm

Yes groove templates & the ability to adjust swing percentages would be killer. But judging by the amount of responses here, they'll probably at the very least a feature to adjust swing percentage. They're so close to being a full on HD recorder/ workstation. Better audio editng, non realtime processing, and a few more feature will really put them on the map to compete with the big guys.

arnski

(°.°) want that (^-^)

Post by arnski » Wed Sep 15, 2004 4:33 pm

Yeah i´d really appreciate "groove quantise" with templates too!
Best would be with serious preview function like FL.
Got so used to it in FL Studio..

Bigup,

Arnski

elemental

Post by elemental » Fri Oct 01, 2004 1:26 pm

Another call for proper GROOVE QUANTIZE.

I really need this feature, i ts what gives my music that funky edge - take a break and use that as the main groove, matching all parts to the groove, sounds so much more natural and flowing than straight 16ths + swing.

rnbeatz

Post by rnbeatz » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:24 pm

This is the only thing holding me up from buying Live.
Rhythm N. Beatz
iMac G5 10.4.9 2GB / Duet / Live 7 / Voyager

glueslabs

Post by glueslabs » Fri Oct 01, 2004 5:29 pm

i would also like something like the adjustable quantize offered in cubase. what is called? iterative?

sevendollars

Post by sevendollars » Mon Oct 04, 2004 3:57 am

i think that you can get way more interesting feels happening with ableton than any other sequencers that i have used . i love the feel and if i can't get a midi sequence to feel like i want i bounce it to audio and use the warp and loop editing. i feel this will get a more human feel than any midi . ableton is like its own instrument to me as opposed to a means of emulating instruments.
sd

geistfrei

Post by geistfrei » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:09 pm

The possibility to control the amount of note movement
when quantisating would rock, I'm also desperatly waiting
for this feature! This would help making beats a lot, at
least for the way I do them :)
Live 5.2, WinXP SP1, Dell 5150, P4 3Ghz, 768 MB, RME Multiface II

Vercengetorex

Post by Vercengetorex » Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:36 pm

Amen FaX! We need to stop trying to get our software to do every damn thing for us! Talk about being robots! Groove your own damn self! :wink:
I cant think of a sig

pmestrez

a work around to groove

Post by pmestrez » Tue Oct 05, 2004 8:31 pm

Hé guys, why don't you improve your method to apply groove to your tracks ? Don't complaint and be patient.

You bought a 2004's software with features Steinberg had not imagine in 2000 and just have try to clone on their brand new SX3 !

Did you know that Live main feature is to treat audio as you want ?

Try to bounce (render) your part to audio file and use warp marker to make your own groove template...

That's what i call, groove of 2004 !

Whatever the music style...

Regards.

Pierre.

louZ

Post by louZ » Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:06 pm

i want groove templates too!

i want to use Live as my sole sequencer, but untill i can make my own quantize templates from midi files, i'll have to keep Cubase on the side :(

Hardtoe

Post by Hardtoe » Wed Mar 23, 2005 8:34 pm

Yo,

I would really like to have the ability to "get" the grooves from audio files and apply them as I like, as well as the ability to use "groove templates" that are commercially produced. I am thinking of the DNA grooves (www.numerical sound.com) templates in particular...this has nothing to do with being lazy or wanting the program to do everything....it is just that there is a really essential and powerful groove tool missing from Live 4 which would allow us programmers to make more human feels. The DNA groove templates are based around legenday drummers such as Bernard Purdie and Clyde Stubblefield (that's right, the guy who drums on James Browns Funky Drummer). I have my own strengths as a composer and musician, but being a world class drummer is not one of them...I think that useing the "feels" strikes a great balance between programming your own beats and having a world class funky groove going on...Also, lets not forget that the "swing" template on the Akai MPC 60 has been an integral part of the "feel" on many legendary hip hop tracks - this just shows how far a good template goes in aiding creativity...

Live 4 is Excellent, but with better groove template features it would be much more inspirational to me than it already is (which is saying a lot).

Orion
Can you hear it?

andydes

Another Vote

Post by andydes » Wed Mar 30, 2005 12:20 pm

I agree, Ableton seemed to have mixed a trick with this one. And with the real-time warp engine, it wouldn't be that hard to apply user templates to the audio as well. Now, that ability would steam-roller over anything Cubase and Logic can do.

To those of you who think we're being unfair to Ableton, remember this forum is called feature wishlist If they didn't want to hear our views, they wouldn't have included this section on their website.

This is the one missing feature pointed out in several magazine reviews I read. I'm sure they're working on it.

elemental

Post by elemental » Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:28 pm

to those who suggest bouncing to audio and using warp ... warping beats (and other sounds) can sound really crap, and is not good for getting really tight beats, thats why I still use recycle+MIDI.

and why i still need proper grtoove quantize!

it just means you can save the groove of a MIDI loop and apply it to anything.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Thu Mar 31, 2005 12:47 am

I currently use a workaround for groove templates, using Recycle and exporting MIDI files - but it's a BIG TIME CONSUMER.

I am not a proper drummer, and I can't bang out the same rythms that some 35 year drumming veterans can. I would like to take a sample, capture the groove of it and have Live develop a groove map based off the transients, like Recycle.

OR, if this is too difficult, Live should at LEAST be able to capture a groove off of a MIDI file - I mean, C'mon, all the data is there for you!

This is a MAJOR ommission from the midi implementation.

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs

Chris Cowie

Post by Chris Cowie » Thu Mar 31, 2005 2:49 pm

Am I reading the thread properly. Are half the users against groove quantising.?

Sure the warping of audio can give funky results but as a couple of people correctly pointed out Warping does have undesirable effects.

Groove quantising is essential.

Me likey groovy!