THE SECRET TO WARPING A WHOLE TRACK EASILY........+ some

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Mon Aug 16, 2004 1:23 pm

the most important thing i have found when warping tracks is when ableton tells you the tempo is xxx.xx, to round to the closest number and not stay with the fractional values.

most people dont write tracks at 135.67 bpm.

this will save you a lot of time as the markers will be closer to where they should be instead of drifting so much across the length of the track.

rEalm

Post by rEalm » Mon Aug 16, 2004 2:39 pm

LOL, I actually find the opposite to be true! Yeah, most producers don't record at fractional values, but a lot can happen during vinyl mastering to change this. While warping all my records recently, I used a Red Sound Micro Sync to give me approx values for the tempo of my tracks as I recorded them into Wavelab. I kept getting a lot of tempos like 132.8, and 131.1, which I of course automatically rounded to the nearest whole number.

However, it soon became apparent that the fractional tempo values were indeed correct, and once I changed to the fractional tempo setting in Live, warping became dead easy for those tunes.

Not disagreeing with Spiral, but I think it's important for people to try it both ways and then make up their own minds. And of course, all records are different too.

Spiralgroove

Post by Spiralgroove » Mon Aug 16, 2004 3:43 pm

i must point out that i discovered the fractional values thing when warping digital source files (acquired at beatport.com)...

i have not tested this technique ripping vinyl yet...

thanks for the info rEalm, ill keep that in mind when i start ripping my wax.

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:11 pm

I forgot to mention about parts in a song with no fixed beat, such as just singing, or strings playing in the middle of the mix... What I usually do is to assume that the beginning beat marking of the song should continue into the non-drum section, or adjust it about the same as I did earlier with the drum sections.

When the drums then start I know if it added up or not! If not I either need to go back (control arrow-down instead of control-arrow-up when clicking on the range section in the wave display) , removed the fixed points and adjust.

Also, thanks to the warping there are many cases where it maybe does not matter, I set the end fixed mark where the drums start, and the non-drum section might sound quite Ok even if the beat warp marks are not aligned 1:1. But it depends on the song... --Kent

16 BIT

Re: THE SECRET TO WARPING A WHOLE TRACK EASILY........+ some

Post by 16 BIT » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:50 am

[quote=

The easy Way

Ok, lets say you have the original tempo fo the track as accurate as you can get it. You dont have to be 100% accurate because with this method you will eventually get the exact tempo as it changes when you move the warp markers. The mistake I was making and I believe many others is that we are warping the track from LEFT TO RIGHT. The more you warp from left to right the more out of sync the track is later on so more warping is required Very annoying I always thought and knew there had to be an easier way. IM Now warping from RIGHT TO LEFT......

Heres what I do now: I let the track play along with the metronome for up to three quarters of the whole song. You will obviously notice that the track and the metronome are way out of sync by the time you get to bar 127. So what I do is find a spot For eg the end of a break down and move the warp marker 127 so that it hits the first beat of bar 127 in the song. Important I DONT make this marker yellow I Simply Move it DONT MAKE YELLOW...Yellow is not good :) :)

The first time I did this I was amazed that with one simple move of one marker I had practically got the whole track in perfect sync from the beginning of the song right up to bar 127, 133, 145 etc etc. This method has even worked when moving the last marker possible where there is still a beat and the whole track is in time. Many of my tracks dont even have a single yellow marker. So the point is WARP FROM RIGHT TO LEFT.
[/quote]

HOLY SH******T IT WORKS

:P :P

kent_sandvik

Post by kent_sandvik » Tue Aug 17, 2004 6:45 pm

It should work, unless the song between has variations in the bpm, based on deliberate changes, let's say song slowness, and then you need to warp from left to right, so there are cases where right to left works, and cases where it unfortunately can't work.

As I said, I like to place 4-beat warps anyway so I could have full control of the material for loop points later, selecting arbitrary loops for mix-points, and so on.

cosmosuave

Post by cosmosuave » Tue Aug 17, 2004 9:07 pm

rahlo wrote:Chris,

Thanks for posting this man! I'm starting to get more into the djing aspect of live a little more, and warping tracks has been somewhat problematic and/or time consuming.

Props, duke.
Ahhh expanding your parameters are you Rahlo... I've been messing with the warping of trax lately and this will help out lots.... Thanks alot Chris for the tip... Will try this tonight..
MD SPS-1 DARKENERGY JX-3P (PG200) Mbase01
http://soundcloud.com/cosmosuave
http://www.cosmosuave.com/

Rx

Post by Rx » Tue Aug 17, 2004 11:25 pm

that long post is extremely welcome - much thanks for the tip.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type