Live 8... not ready to ship.

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
Toonman

Live 8... not ready to ship.

Post by Toonman » Wed May 27, 2009 6:52 pm

Sorry to put it this way (and maybe this topic has been beaten to death already), but I must not be the only one very disappointed with Live 8. All the new features are very nice, and I appreciate Ableton has listened to its customers, but they're really worth nothing if I can't use them.

I just upgraded to Live 8 and downloaded the 8.0.3 build. I am amazed at how unstable and un-reliable Live 8 is. Half of my sets won't even open (Live crashes when loading them). While I work, Live crashes left and right. Tweaking plugins while the music is running brings Live down... some plugins will not be able to display their UIs while working... some stop passing audio through... overall, the loss of productivity is very frustrating. I was hoping to take advantage of sorely missing features like groups, but it seems I'll have to start in Live 7 for a while (which also has it's share of instability, although not as severe), or start moving my projects to Pro Tools for mixing, which I am doing right now (which also has its share of headaches for me).

For the past few years, I had been a very happy Live user. 8 changed this for me. I will be downloading every patch Ableton comes out with, hoping it'll solve my problems... but I will definitely be very cautious with my next upgrade. Live 9 will have a hard time getting my wallet out... specially if Digi addresses the problems I currently have with PT (which seems will be the case).

I work for the software industry too, and I know how hard it can be deferring bugs when you have a pending launch date. But the state of the application right now is deplorable (shouldn't crashers should be priority 1 in the list?). I hope Ableton responds fast... rant off...
---
Me not DJ.
Me guitar-monkey.
---

bluesfinger

Re: Live 8... not ready to ship.

Post by bluesfinger » Wed May 27, 2009 7:12 pm

Hi,
I am sorry to hear this . I also have similar problems with 8.0 + .
I do not like constant upgrading , testing etc. I thought I would buy finished version ....
Some options like sharing , do not work with me , but I do not get any reply from administrator why.

Live 9. ? I doubt I will buy it if things do not improve radically. Think I'll turn to Sonar maybe...

Bluesfinger
http://www.bluesfinger.com

Toonman

Post by Toonman » Wed May 27, 2009 7:39 pm

I see. To add up to things... I just discovered something new. I spent all day working on a mix in Live 8, saving 4 sequential files (I always save sequential files in case something goes wrong, I can back-track to a previous file that will open). At one point, I started to get this message saying "There is not enough memory. Please save your set right now and exit Live". So I did... and now I get the message as soon as I open the set... this happens for all 4 files, which means that right from the start, Live was saving files he would not be able to open. So... all my day of work is lost. I'll have to go back to the last Live 7 file I had and take it from there. This is definitely not my idea of a commercially-available product. I would accept this from an Alpha build... I would complain about it in a Beta build. I would never buy one that shipped like this.

I guess it's time to ask about a refund...
---
Me not DJ.
Me guitar-monkey.
---

Airwave

Post by Airwave » Sat May 30, 2009 6:46 am

I feel for you guys, but whining on this forum will not lead you anywhere! I did the same, and you know what? I made more enemies on forums than I got help :-)

Keep e-mailing Ableton, be patient too as they need at least a few days to get back to you.

I also have my problems with Live 8, as everyone has his/hers.

And refund... guys don't you read what you're signing online? software is NOT refundable.

Let's hope that they address all features. A very important of mine hasn't been fixed yet.
OOPS

Pasha

Post by Pasha » Sat May 30, 2009 5:28 pm

Airwave wrote:I feel for you guys, but whining on this forum will not lead you anywhere! I did the same, and you know what? I made more enemies on forums than I got help :-)

Keep e-mailing Ableton, be patient too as they need at least a few days to get back to you.

I also have my problems with Live 8, as everyone has his/hers.

And refund... guys don't you read what you're signing online? software is NOT refundable.

Let's hope that they address all features. A very important of mine hasn't been fixed yet.
Refund IS possible. If you do not like the purchase within 30 days it's your right
to return the software. Read the license terms.

- Best
- Pasha

PS I'm on 8.0.3 and so far no more problems that I had on L7
Mac Studio M1
Live 12 Suite,Zebra ,Valhalla Plugins, MIDI Guitar (2+3),Guitar, Bass, VG99, GP10, JV1010 and some controllers

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 4:55 am

Airwave wrote:I feel for you guys, but whining on this forum will not lead you anywhere! I did the same, and you know what? I made more enemies on forums than I got help
Even though I can upgrade to Live 8 any time I like, I don't want to touch it with a stick. Not until it actually functions with at least the degree of stability I'm getting from 7. I'm baffled why V.8 has been released in such an unfinished state. Is there a problem with mentioning the elephant in the room?

How do I know when Live 8 is actually working? According to Ableton it is; and according to a lot of posts I read here, it simply isn't performing as it should.

ianomurchu

Post by ianomurchu » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:52 am

Its a fickle mistress alright. I am running 8.0.2, scared to download 8.0.3 in case its less stable? All that said it makes me smile a lot more than 7 did, the work flow improvements, the limiter and looper etc etc are getting me through the tough times! Pleeeease ableton steady live up! BTW its always worth airing your problems to fellow users in forums like thsi when you pay sooo much for your software! :?

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:10 pm

i havent had any big problems with 8, except when using looper and it suddenly tells me that i dont have enough memory.

right now however i have a set that just crashes when im doing random things. sometimes when editing,s ometimes when consolidating. i cant render it to audio cause it crashes aswell, nor can i save it to a new version either.

DJMillsy

Post by DJMillsy » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:47 pm

Are you guys all on a mac? I run the software on a PC and had a few glitches with 8.01 but since then everything seems to be working fine.

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:04 pm

friend_kami wrote:i havent had any big problems with 8, except when using looper and it suddenly tells me that i dont have enough memory.

right now however i have a set that just crashes when im doing random things. sometimes when editing,s ometimes when consolidating. i cant render it to audio cause it crashes aswell, nor can i save it to a new version either.
Enough to consider the software 'not ready' for professional usage, either in the studio with paying clients or in a live situation. While I respectfully appreciate the complexity of what Ableton is trying achieve with Live8, it really isn't finished. Ironic that all these wonderful workflow enhancements come at the cost of such instability.

Is anyone out there actually having a completely bug free experience with Live8? It would be good to hear from you too ...

How do I know when I can confidently install Live8 and know it will simply work?

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:52 am

I have not had a problem yet (except for the initial network config vs. authorization stuff)

although it is very important to note that I dont push it very hard, and am lucky to use it 1/2 hour per day... I also don't use any 3rd party plugs etc. and don't currently have any controllers plugged in - just my master keyboard thru the main soundcard midi port

(house and life are chaos and I feel lucky to have the music computer hooked up at all)

Scaper7

Post by Scaper7 » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:13 am

I need to run VST plugs, multiple controllers and slave to MTC (crucial) ... all of which works fine for me in 7 (especially 7's MTC sync).