Someone here give online private lessons in Max/msp?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
disco judas

Someone here give online private lessons in Max/msp?

Post by disco judas » Fri May 15, 2009 3:18 pm

Hi,

Some Max experts here who can teach how to build (cool,innovative,advanced)devices in Max ?

SimonPHC

Re: Someone here give online private lessons in Max/msp?

Post by SimonPHC » Fri May 15, 2009 3:22 pm

I'm no expert, but might be able to help if you present me with a question.
What is it you are looking for?
Did you do all the included tutorials?
What are you aiming for? In other words, what's cool, innovative or advanced in your opinion?

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Fri May 15, 2009 3:24 pm

MAX is useless without an idea of what you actually want to build.

SimonPHC

Post by SimonPHC » Fri May 15, 2009 6:38 pm

thanks for your PM, hope you don't mind referring to it in public.

I have no idea of what your level of skill is in regular programming, but if we look behind the visual interface, that's what it basically is, programming. MAX makes it a 'little' bit easier as you connect building blocks instead of lines of code. This makes it both easier to learn and harder to optimize for CPU efficiency.

What you where asking in you PM, FM synthesis, Karlplus-Strong synthesis, Waveshaping synthesis, Reverb etc are not only very hard, but there are very effective and more CPU efficient options out there already. What is so wrong with Operator of FM8 that you need yet another synth? Do you think it will be better when you compare it to a product that has been coded by really good programmers who get paid to the job, while you would do it in you spare time?

The beauty of MAX for Live lies in the fact that a simple idea that doesn't have any VST or AU out there already can be made in little time, provided you know your way around MAX a bit. Plus, the integration of MAX for Live and Live will let us manipulate these ideas in very close relation to the existing Live environment (I hope).

Let's all just come up with ideas that aren't out there already. I have some patches in Max/MSP waiting to be upgraded to MAX for Live and none of them do something that exists somewhere else. They are my personal idiosyncratic ways of thinking about musical tools.

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Fri May 15, 2009 7:16 pm

I'd say that the best lessons in Max are by Cycling74 themselves and are included in the package. The in-application documentation is second to none.

.m

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 15, 2009 7:23 pm

^ well put.

one does not simply walk into Mordor, nor does one simple make mind blowing max patches.

baby steps. first get a midi device to follow a mouse movement. then learn to control an oscillator. then tie the mouse to the oscillator. etc.

it's not as difficult as people make it out to be. time will tell.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Fri May 15, 2009 7:41 pm

i just bought max5. i thought it'd make good sense to get the educational license thing before i finish college. i havent looked at it much yet as im still overloaded with my final project thing but ive been on youtube looking at some basic tutorials - do a search for 'baz tutorials', they seem pretty good for a novice like me. im looking forward to spending all summer getting stuck in though

marcoskohler

Post by marcoskohler » Fri May 15, 2009 7:43 pm

Don't bother with online tutorials. All you need to do is follow all of cycling's internal tutorials. After that, start working on something you WANT/NEED.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 15, 2009 7:50 pm

slatepipe wrote:i just bought max5. i thought it'd make good sense to get the educational license thing before i finish college. i havent looked at it much yet as im still overloaded with my final project thing but ive been on youtube looking at some basic tutorials - do a search for 'baz tutorials', they seem pretty good for a novice like me. im looking forward to spending all summer getting stuck in though
wait until school is over and you have 3-4 days do goof off. then go to a cafe with a small midi controller and work through the first 20 tutorials. I got that far and felt I could start making my own stuff.

they're outstanding tutorials but you learn one, then start tweaking it and looking at the related topic, next thing you know 4 hours have gone by on one lesson. I took my laptop and BCR to cafes for a week, after two weeks I was able to make my own looper controls for Live (all max, no msp.) it was wonky but it worked.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

LoopStationZebra

Post by LoopStationZebra » Fri May 15, 2009 7:56 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
slatepipe wrote:i just bought max5. i thought it'd make good sense to get the educational license thing before i finish college. i havent looked at it much yet as im still overloaded with my final project thing but ive been on youtube looking at some basic tutorials - do a search for 'baz tutorials', they seem pretty good for a novice like me. im looking forward to spending all summer getting stuck in though
wait until school is over and you have 3-4 days do goof off. then go to a cafe with a small midi controller and work through the first 20 tutorials. I got that far and felt I could start making my own stuff.

they're outstanding tutorials but you learn one, then start tweaking it and looking at the related topic, next thing you know 4 hours have gone by on one lesson. I took my laptop and BCR to cafes for a week, after two weeks I was able to make my own looper controls for Live (all max, no msp.) it was wonky but it worked.

But will we see any of your stuff available for download?? :wink:
I came for the :lol:
But stayed for the :x

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Fri May 15, 2009 8:04 pm

Tone Deft wrote:

cafes - good idea. or pubs i guess. i feel a new laptop coming too - my current one is about 5 years old and a bit shit. oh yeah, and i want the live 8 upgrade.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 15, 2009 8:10 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:

But will we see any of your stuff available for download?? :wink:
it's already out there. what about your shit poopstation?
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Fri May 15, 2009 8:12 pm

slatepipe wrote:cafes - good idea. or pubs i guess. i feel a new laptop coming too - my current one is about 5 years old and a bit shit. oh yeah, and i want the live 8 upgrade.
I'm going to hate myself for saying this but you might consider a Mac. the max/msp crowd is very mac oriented and many patches are mac only. this is the one draw I have to selling out and buying an overpriced girly computer.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Android Bishop

Post by Android Bishop » Fri May 15, 2009 8:17 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
slatepipe wrote:cafes - good idea. or pubs i guess. i feel a new laptop coming too - my current one is about 5 years old and a bit shit. oh yeah, and i want the live 8 upgrade.
I'm going to hate myself for saying this but you might consider a Mac. the max/msp crowd is very mac oriented and many patches are mac only. this is the one draw I have to selling out and buying an overpriced girly computer.
Slow down there chief, M4L is coming out pretty soon and all patches written for it will probably be cross compatible, so lets hold off on the overpriced girlie computers for now.

slatepipe

Post by slatepipe » Fri May 15, 2009 8:39 pm

Tone Deft wrote:
i considered them a bit but ultimately i just dont like the way macs look, nothing to do with performance or anything sensible like that. they cost shedloads more too dont they?

i know a computer shop down town which i bin going to for years and they'll probably sort me out nicely. well, i know they will

i dont know about the mac only patch thing though - all the tutors at college i have had for max lessons have had macs and any patches they have ever given me have always opened on my pc no bother. though doubtless my noviceness will have me eat those words

i want to get the m4l thing too, and the mrs wants to go on holiday. jesus i need some money