ABLETON LIVE 8.01 SHIT

UHE is now closed. For Technical Support from Ableton, please go here: http://www.ableton.com/support
rafguad

ABLETON LIVE 8.01 SHIT

Post by rafguad » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:31 pm

More Bugs, greater audio latency in real time than the version 7 and cuts on attack, new instruments have bad sound, activation problem,
ABLETON 8.01 is SHIT !!!

kleine

Re: ABLETON LIVE 8.01 SHIT

Post by kleine » Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:04 pm

Hello rafguad,

First of all: Welcome to the forum.
I´d like to help you out with whatever problems you experience but please post
a more detailed description of the bug/problem and your setup in general.

best,
Christian

rudesixtysix

Post by rudesixtysix » Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:44 pm

Hey Christian,
The problem is that Live 8 is worse than Live 7. Read through the forum and you'll get the idea.
An upgrade should improve basic performance not diminish it.
I like the new add ons but its not worth compromising on the basics..like being able to simply have the programopen for more than 5 minutes without crashing.
Please tell your guys to sort it out.
Thanks

swivet

Post by swivet » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:29 am

rudesixtysix wrote:Hey Christian,
The problem is that Live 8 is worse than Live 7. Read through the forum and you'll get the idea.
An upgrade should improve basic performance not diminish it.
I like the new add ons but its not worth compromising on the basics..like being able to simply have the programopen for more than 5 minutes without crashing.
Please tell your guys to sort it out.
Thanks
LOL! I couldn't agree more. I mean can you imagine if Apple for example released something with this many bugs to the public - the backlash would be off the radar. There would be class action lawsuits...money back...credits for free upgrades etc... I mean just look at the whole MobileMe fiasco...

This is 10 times as bad as that because the software here is actually barely even usable. Yet because we are musicians and not the rest of the world we are supposed to just be accepting of this poor release? This really isn't acceptable. I've always been such an advocate of Ableton since version 6.0.1 and they are just sh#tting in our faces with this release.

There should have been an update within a week of this coming out. And since there hasn't been it leads me to believe that support has no clue what's going on here and that scares me even more.
Live 8.0.3, Mac Pro 8 Core, 8GB RAM, Mac OS X 10.5.7

duncanish

Post by duncanish » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:00 am

Fellas,
I'm not experiencing the same kind of problems you are. I moved form Live 6 to Live 8 and don't have any latency issues. There are more crashes (typically specifc VST's dll) but I think it's a time of flux for software developers and can be accounted for by the 64 vs. 32bit debacle, Audio interface diversity, windows version, mac support etc. If you want solutions to your problem post about specific hardware problems and reproducible scenarios that cause the program to hang. That's how software bugs are fixed...one at a time. I guess I'm bothered by the lack of any constructive criticism. Nothing is without its faults but be specific or they will never go away. SHIT - not so descriptive.

Gnuus

Post by Gnuus » Sun Apr 19, 2009 5:43 am

duncanish wrote:Fellas,
I'm not experiencing the same kind of problems you are. I moved form Live 6 to Live 8 and don't have any latency issues. There are more crashes (typically specifc VST's dll) but I think it's a time of flux for software developers and can be accounted for by the 64 vs. 32bit debacle, Audio interface diversity, windows version, mac support etc. If you want solutions to your problem post about specific hardware problems and reproducible scenarios that cause the program to hang. That's how software bugs are fixed...one at a time. I guess I'm bothered by the lack of any constructive criticism. Nothing is without its faults but be specific or they will never go away. SHIT - not so descriptive.
I agree with duncanish!

I'm not experiencing any problems....
http://myspace.com/aftronics
Live 10 Intro | iMac 3.4GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16 GB Ram | Samaon Graphite 49 | Mac OS X 10.13.6 | iPad air | ZOOM TAC-2 | Roland TD11

swivet

Post by swivet » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:31 am

duncanish wrote:Fellas,
I don't know about the rest but I've been sending daily highly descriptive emails to support since the day 8.0.1 was released - each issue duplicatable on every attempt. So I definitely do have to say there are more issues, and far more so than the equivalent releases of 6.0.1 and 7.0.1. Live should not consistently crash on duplicate time, copy time, freeze on render and consolidate clips, have these sticky phantom clips attaching themselves to the mouse cursor, etc when certain conditions are present that cause each of those specific crashes or freezes (as documented in my emails to Ableton and by users in numerous other posts).

Most importantly when there is a crash, you should be able to open previously saved versions of the project if you cannot recover the current. Out of 20 saved points, at least one of those should open again when plugins are disabled, the prefs and template files are deleted, and there is no undo.cfg file.

So with over 300 crashes and the inability to open any of the 20 versions of my current remix due for a submission to a label next week, I would have to say that this is unacceptable, and suffice it to say "shit" is not too far off of a proper description.

aleme

Post by aleme » Sun Apr 19, 2009 8:59 am

in my opinion the guys not having problems aren´t working with that program really. they are playing with it only and not making music.where are the bugfixes? in the beta phase it was ideal, now ableton rests on their laurels after releasing 8. they are collecting revenue.there are so many bugs in here that i regret my purchase in the meantime. and no, it´s not always crashing, functions do not work properly!simply look in the bugs and problems forum and you know what we are talking about.i think it´s time to REWRITE the 10 year old sluggish live code. hardly surprising that it gets worser and worser with every new release. they started in 1999, now we are in 2009 and the installer is more than 150 megabytes. wtf! by the way ableton never released a version x.5 or so with FREE!!!! new features in an actual release. think about it. are they worth it. if you need the session view only buy an LE version. i think i will sell my copy of live and will use only a copy of Live LE. reaper is getting older and for audio processing in its linear editing manner it´s better than the arrangement view with the newly introduced fades and xfades (which arent useful also in their current state).

mr.adl

Post by mr.adl » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:38 am

I did already two whole Tracks with Live 8 and had no crash or misbehavior or whatever.
I use UAD2 and UAD1 cards, several plugin and Live 8 works just fine (besides some plugin can´t be configured via the "configure" mode) on my Windows XP PC.

Really wonder what kind of problem it is some of you guys have with crashes and stuff. 8O

BTW if you don´t bevlieve it, have a listen to the first and the third track here, entirely done in using Live 8:
http://www.myspace.com/biascut

(Tech/ Progressive-house)

sunrahrahrah

Post by sunrahrahrah » Sun Apr 19, 2009 4:39 pm

2 things

#1 you guys need to calm down. also mine is for the most part, running fine.

#2 I thought this thread was going to be rap beats you made in live 8 and I'm disappointed its not.

Gurulogic

Post by Gurulogic » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:00 pm

You gotta love how people who don't have any problems always act like there isn't any possibility anything could possible be wrong outside of their bubble or cannot see that perhaps not everyone uses the software the same way they do...

Of course I have to also question the logic of jumping directly into a purchase of a newly released software without thoroughly exploring the FULLY FUNCTIONAL 14 DAY DEMO!?

I have downloaded and installed the demo and immediately found that there are some serious performance issues that will not allow me to continue my work in Live 8 untill they are resolved or computers triple in speed so I have decided not to upgrade...yet

If you care to see the issue that seems to be the core source of the performance problems that most users are experiencing (users who actually realize what the capabilities of their computers should be), yet no one seems to have figured out or agreed on, nor have the Abes bothered clarifying anything, have a look here:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112779

swivet

Post by swivet » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:33 pm

Gurulogic wrote:You gotta love how people who don't have any problems always act like there isn't any possibility anything could possible be wrong outside of their bubble or cannot see that perhaps not everyone uses the software the same way they do...

Of course I have to also question the logic of jumping directly into a purchase of a newly released software without thoroughly exploring the FULLY FUNCTIONAL 14 DAY DEMO!?

I have downloaded and installed the demo and immediately found that there are some serious performance issues that will not allow me to continue my work in Live 8 untill they are resolved or computers triple in speed so I have decided not to upgrade...yet

If you care to see the issue that seems to be the core source of the performance problems that most users are experiencing (users who actually realize what the capabilities of their computers should be), yet no one seems to have figured out or agreed on, nor have the Abes bothered clarifying anything, have a look here:

http://forum.ableton.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=112779
Yes I echo this sentiment. I'm tired of people telling me, "Well so and so says it's stable so it's fine..." Everyone does use this software differently, but however you use it, your experience should be improved with each release, not inhibited. And for those that use Live all day, every day, on average 50 hours a week as their profession, there is something seriously wrong in the basic architecture of this release.

I think the reason so many people jumped to the release of 8 immediately is because Ableton has a reputation for releasing a pretty damn solid product over the past years, as proved in our transitions to 6 and 7, which were almost as if we hadn't really switched (stability wise). You could still perform all the same basic tasks and get cpu intensive work done.

In this case, bringing in starter sets from 7 to 8, with excess of 100 tracks before midi, effects, compressors, etc on each track, and general beat patterns already chopped out, you should be able to use this set without it crashing in such frequency. With all Live 7 imports similar to this, I am unable to do numerous things without crashing as stated above and in other posts (it seems to be due to Live 8's corrupting of certain clips if you ask me).

When Live 8 does crash - as all software will do from time to time - all previous saved versions of the project should still work perfectly. However, in this case, for me at least, my last crash resulted in me no longer being able to open ANY of the 20 saved versions of my project. Now, there is definitely something wrong here. That is not acceptable for a professional DAW for music professionals relying on this software for a living.

So for those not experiencing all the trouble, then consider yourselves extremely lucky. But there are detrimental issues here and your "well we don't have them so it's stable" stance is just petty. Even with all these issues I still agree Live is the greatest DAW out there, but I know users of other software wouldn't tolerate this either. If Pro Tools released a new version that affected 90% of its user base negatively, the industry backlash would be out of control.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:34 pm

Gurulogic wrote:You gotta love how people who don't have any problems always act like there isn't any possibility anything could possible be wrong outside of their bubble or cannot see that perhaps not everyone uses the software the same way they do...
Yep, but you also gotta love the people who HAVE problems and act like the ones who are running the software fine are somehow "not really using it to make music." :D (There's at least one comment like that even in this thread already.)

I'm currently working on a soundtrack for an animated short film in Live 8, and for the most part it's functioning very well. The only glitch I have so far is a short "buffer loop" dropout I hear a few times a day, not related to CPU/HD load and not present in Live 7. I have reported the issue.
Last edited by Nokatus on Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nokatus

Post by Nokatus » Sun Apr 19, 2009 9:40 pm

swivet wrote:If Pro Tools released a new version that affected 90% of its user base negatively, the industry backlash would be out of control.
It would be foolish not to acknowledge the problems (for one, I beta tested and followed the beta period closely, and have been reading the bug forum after the 8.0.1 release) -- but it's not very constructive to exaggerate the hit either. 90% is bound to be way out of proportion.