please please give back auto playback after record

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
forge

please please give back auto playback after record

Post by forge » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:08 am

I posted in the beta bugs forum right near the start about the fact that you can no longer set the global quantise and launch mode to 'repeat' in the prefs and have a clip record for the length specified and then start playing the new clip once it's recorded, I can't for the life of me remember who replied to me but at first he said it never did it then conferred witht the other abletons and tried it and realised that as none of them used it in repeat mode and all used trigger no one had realised it did that. He then told me they somehow broke it and would try to fix it, but now I cant find the thread and REALLY REALLY miss this feature.

Does anyone have any news about this?

cheers
Last edited by forge on Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Martyn

Post by Martyn » Sun Aug 01, 2004 8:49 am

I'm not sure it's done this since version 2 has it?

This was a very good feature that I miss as well. Some of the guys (like Quandry) using Live as a live looper would find this pretty useful too.

Especially if you were to couple it to the follow actions feature. Something like " record clip for 8 bars, stop recording, play 8 bars, move to next empty clip slot and start recording new clip" would be good.

Probably a bit much to ask for at this stage though eh. :wink:

bensuthers

Post by bensuthers » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:05 am

has anyone tried to use Follow Action to record?

forge

Post by forge » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:32 am

Martyn wrote:I'm not sure it's done this since version 2 has it?

This was a very good feature that I miss as well. Some of the guys (like Quandry) using Live as a live looper would find this pretty useful too.

:wink:
itdefinitely did it in live 3 - every time i recorded anything i did it this way often 2 bars, but if i wanted to record larger phrases 4 or 8 bars - If you didn't uninstall 3 try it - I was amazed when he said they didn't know about it, it's always been one of my fave things about live - he even said himself alot of live users had requested the ability to record for a set amount of time and then stop

Especially if you were to couple it to the follow actions feature. Something like " record clip for 8 bars, stop recording, play 8 bars, move to next empty clip slot and start recording new clip" would be good.

Probably a bit much to ask for at this stage though eh.
you can set follow actions in the defaults can't you? if so once they bring this back it should in theory do just that! The whole reason this got overlooked was because it invloved setting default in the prefs to 'repeat' and the abes said they all used 'trigger'

mike holiday

Post by mike holiday » Sun Aug 01, 2004 7:32 pm

can you set the lenght of the clip before you start recording?the way you can with midi clips?
dual 1.8 G4 10.4.9 w/768 ram & A&H xone 3D

"I ain't often right but I've never been wrong"

peeddrroo

Post by peeddrroo » Sun Aug 01, 2004 9:15 pm

bensuthers wrote:has anyone tried to use Follow Action to record?
follow action can be defined only after the clip is recorded, that means no automatic recording, unless you grab the mouse and set the proper follow action. you can't set it prior to recording.
mike holiday wrote:can you set the lenght of the clip before you start recording?the way you can with midi clips?
you can't but it would be really nice, just creating empty audio clips.

correct me if i'm wrong on all this, it's just according to my own experience.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Aug 02, 2004 8:44 am

yes in Live 2 & 3 you just set the quantise to the length of clip you want to create and press the clip record button and it will record for that lenghth of time then play - this is what I'm complaining about - Live 4 no longer does this

egoloop

Post by egoloop » Tue Aug 03, 2004 8:17 am

A friendly hello to everyone,

in Live 3 when you pressed the record button of a clip set to "repeat mode", it recorded in the lenght of the given quantisation, then stopped and immidiately played it - just like forge said.
BUT: this only works for me (still on Live 3.0.4) when I press the record button with my mouse. Pressing the buttun with one of the laptop`s keys it does NOT react like mentioned before. Unfortunately I don`t have a midi device around to try if it works with midi.

Any comments on this?

Greetings,

egoloop
www.egoloop.de
Centrino Notebook Win2000 - Live 3.0.4 - Echo Indigo I/O - Behringer BCR2000 - microKORG - Electribe ES-1 mkII - Fender Stratocaster

dinga

Post by dinga » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:05 am

bump...

forge

Post by forge » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:47 am

dinga wrote:bump...
yep absolutely - can someone from Ableton please give some info on what's happening with this - I haven't found the first post (think they might have deleted it to hide the revelation that they didn't know it did it!!) but otherwise I'd email whoever replied to the first post and ask direct

forge

Post by forge » Wed Sep 22, 2004 11:55 am

I just managed to find the reply notificatin email in my inbox for the first post and it's definitely been deleted

I emailed the Abes general supprt a while ago but got no reply - this feature used to be my fave thing about recording with Live and would so much like to have it back.. :cry:

egoloop

Post by egoloop » Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:41 pm

A friendly hello to everyone,

this is one the reasons why I didn`t upgrade to Live 4 yet.
Recording in repeat-mode (recording stops on its own after 4 bars, which is my global quantisation, and the new recorded clips start to play immidiately without pressing any button or key) is a very very important feature for me.

@forge: Do you need all the new features of Live4? Otherwise get to back to Live 3. This version is still one of the best audio-apps around!

egoloop
www.egoloop.de
Centrino Notebook Win2000 - Live 3.0.4 - Echo Indigo I/O - Behringer BCR2000 - microKORG - Electribe ES-1 mkII - Fender Stratocaster

forge

Post by forge » Wed Sep 22, 2004 5:59 pm

egoloop wrote: @forge: Do you need all the new features of Live4? Otherwise get to back to Live 3. This version is still one of the best audio-apps around!

egoloop
I do use alot of it - mainly the vstis and midi clips - I'd much rather do it all in live - I would highly recommend the upgrade - you might be surprised just how much more you can get out of it once you incorporate it into your workflow making music with just live and its vstis, you really dont want to go back - but it's kind of annoying that now you have all these great sound sources you cant record the clips of them the old way!

forge

Post by forge » Wed Oct 17, 2007 3:18 am

bump! :wink: :lol:

siliconarc

Post by siliconarc » Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:40 pm

over 3 years for a bump! is that a record?
i thought this feature was already built in to live, but i just hadnt figured it out yet.

+1

[edit]

after re-reading this thread i saw the 'clip repeat' mentioned, so just tried this out:
create a midi clip assigned to a synth or whathaveyou. set the empty clip to 2 bars in length, with launch mode set to 'repeat'. hit record, play 2 bars, and it auto-loops at the end. joy! :)

is this not what you mean, forge?