Question: how is EIC2?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
KZ9

Question: how is EIC2?

Post by KZ9 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:05 am

Me being a poor bastard, it seems that getting the regular boxed version of Live is the cheapest way to get both a sequencer and some orchestra samples. My question: how good does EIC2 sound?

Even if it sounds just "okay" in comparison to the top names, that is fine with me: I'm a total noob at this and probably will remain so for quite some time.

If it doesn't sound good, do you have any recommendations for a cheap orchestra sample collections/sequencers that won't break the bank (under 400$ ideally).

Secondly, how heavy are the system requirements? Would the following set-up be okay for minimal orchestral arrangements? I'm in the process of upgrading, so this isn't final:

Amd Athlon 64 X2 4200 Dual Core
2 Gb RAM (3 gb?)
"Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Xtreme Music"-ish sound card

Thank you, good sirs.

william.jack38

Re: Question: how is EIC2?

Post by william.jack38 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 4:30 am

You have all requirements, but my friend I can't find my EIC instruments after the Live 8 upgrade. (same setup as yours)

KZ9

Post by KZ9 » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:38 pm

william.jack38 wrote:You have all requirements, but my friend I can't find my EIC instruments after the Live 8 upgrade. (same setup as yours)
I've heard that's been happening to a lot of people: supposedly they're just mixed in with the regular instrument rack. Does anyone have experience with EIC2 from previous versions of Live?

moosethree

Post by moosethree » Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:27 am

I got Miroslav Philharmonic on sale at guitar center $99,

CWoodOne

Post by CWoodOne » Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:46 pm

KZ9 wrote:
william.jack38 wrote:You have all requirements, but my friend I can't find my EIC instruments after the Live 8 upgrade. (same setup as yours)
I've heard that's been happening to a lot of people: supposedly they're just mixed in with the regular instrument rack. Does anyone have experience with EIC2 from previous versions of Live?
+1, wish Ableton would issue a fix for that

KZ9

Post by KZ9 » Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:10 pm

moosethree wrote:I got Miroslav Philharmonic on sale at guitar center $99,
I tried the demo of Miroslav and found that the string ensembles only cover the two top octaves... I like to use strings to do the support for the melody on the lower octaves. This was also true for the Oboe. In the full version, is there a way to change the transposition or are their additional instruments that cover the lower octaves? The demo only has a couple of instruments. Thanks.

KZ9

Post by KZ9 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:00 pm

CWoodOne wrote:
KZ9 wrote:
+1, wish Ableton would issue a fix for that
I wish they would too: the launch of 8 has been terrible.

vicz

Post by vicz » Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:58 am

EIC sounds are OK but if you want something that sounds like an orchestra you'd be better off with something like Kontakt 3 which has generally more and better sounding samples. You can run Kontakt stand-alone although in my experience it runs much better as a DAW plugin.

EIC installs in Live as 'instrument racks' in the browser and mine were carried forward fine from 7 into Live 8.

If you have Sampler you can import samples in lots of different formats and this can be a cheap way of building a tailor made collection if you have specific needs, or even making your own if you are really keen.

lapieuvre

Post by lapieuvre » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:50 pm

Kontakt 3 is good for orchestral sounds (Lacks a good piano). great on guitars, drums, and has a wide selection of instruments.
Garritan Personnal orcheestra, has good orchestral sounds, and an AMAZING piano sound for the 1/2 the price of Kontakt.
MBP 2018, 16 GB Ram, OSX 10.15.7
MBP M1 Max 64 GB Ram, OSX 14.3.1
Live 10.1.43 Suite
Live 11.3.21
Live 12 Beta
Interface : Apollo Twin duo

vicz

Post by vicz » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:38 am

Agreed Garritan is a good budget option if you only want orchestral sounds. The kontakt pianos are much better than the EIC one IMHO.

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:12 pm

the EIC sounds are fine for what they are and not very expensive when bought in the boxed edition packages - are they the best and most extensive - no - think Reason's orkester and factory bank type quality. If you are very much into scoring or soundtracks, you might need something with more depth, such as plugsound pro, VI. One, Kontakt, East West Colossus etc, which are varying degrees of tweakable sample sounds, many (excepting Plug SOund Pro) use Kontakt player as a front end.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.