ms pinky and live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
red_wedge

ms pinky and live

Post by red_wedge » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:14 pm

I'm not so hot on all this rewire interconnectivity shenanigans, but does anyone know if it is possible to use the trés cool Ms Pinky ((http://www.mspinky.com) with Live 4?

I guess there should be some way of routing MIDI from the Max/MSP patch via rewire into Live?

red

A Kern

Post by A Kern » Thu Jul 22, 2004 5:42 pm

Don't know how, but it should definatly work with rewire. What kind of MIDI information would you like to send from the old pink lady to live? Sorry, not much help here, but a pinky <> live connection is what I want to achieve as well when I find some time.

loophead

Post by loophead » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:26 pm

Could do it through 'soundflower' also the newest Max/Msp is rewire (I believe) so wouldnt miss pinky be rewire as well...maybe the 'pinkys' need to update.

As Live can be a rewire master or slave no problem if pinky is rewire !
Live 607 Mac G5 dual 2.0 Ghz w/ 3.5 gig ram
OS X 10.4.10, Motu 828mk2, c-thru axis, Too many plugins "detective chief superintendent"

red_wedge

Post by red_wedge » Thu Jul 22, 2004 7:43 pm

It would be pretty cool! I've not really thought about how to use the midi info, but I can imagine using it to control loops in Live. Or the tempo of the whole song - scratch Live live... There are some offers with Max/Msp and 'G' from yow* to get the vinyl for 60$. Maybe Ableton could look into it and offer it too.

A Kern

Post by A Kern » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:10 pm

if you just want to send basic info like spin direction or time stamps it should befairly easy to hack maxi patch to send that info via rewire. It would be more interesting if in addition you could sync both pinky and live. So hat you can record part of the current song in live and then retrigger it from pinky. I always wanted to try tristans ~beat external for something like this, but it's not released on windows. Maybe the new sync object in max 4.5 will help with this.

Anyway, good luck with your setup, maybe you can post your results at the pinky forum

Cheers
Achim

Post by Guest » Thu Jul 22, 2004 8:47 pm

what about 'G' by the same people?
does anybody have any experience with that or have any opinions about it

scientist

Post by scientist » Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:41 pm

i own ms pinky, and to the best of my knowledge you'll need to use soundflower to get the audio into live. but if you own max/msp you can modify the maxi patch to do whatever you want within the scope of max/msp.

Post by Guest » Fri Jul 23, 2004 12:56 am

if only i could the same with final scratch :(

red_wedge

Post by red_wedge » Fri Jul 23, 2004 6:34 am

Anonymous wrote:what about 'G' by the same people?
I took a look at it the other day - doesn't seem as intuitive as they say, and it's one of those Max strandalone softwares that , to me anyway, always seem so slow and CPU hogs. I gave up with it.

dirtystudios

Post by dirtystudios » Fri Jul 23, 2004 7:29 am

red_wedge wrote:
Anonymous wrote:what about 'G' by the same people?
I took a look at it the other day - doesn't seem as intuitive as they say, and it's one of those Max strandalone softwares that , to me anyway, always seem so slow and CPU hogs. I gave up with it.
ditto.

k

nobbystylus

Post by nobbystylus » Fri Jul 23, 2004 8:44 am

would be nice to be able to lauch clips and scratch (pitch and jog) audio in Live, giving it a nice proper DJ feel..
http://www.myspace.com/wardclerk
http://www.myspace.com/bighairufreqs
LIVE 8.21/ Reaktor 5.51/VDMX/Quartz Composer

A Kern

Post by A Kern » Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:04 am

Scott, the creator of ms pinky, offers a SDK for interested developpers.

John Sweet

Post by John Sweet » Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:59 am

to those who own Ms Pinky--have you tried the Pinky Pluggo yet? I can't find much talk about it. How does it stack to the thus-far-inferior VST competition?

http://www.mspinky.com/WreckedSystem_Pluggo.html

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:18 am

John Sweet wrote:to those who own Ms Pinky--have you tried the Pinky Pluggo yet? I can't find much talk about it. How does it stack to the thus-far-inferior VST competition?

http://www.mspinky.com/WreckedSystem_Pluggo.html
holy crap... This makes pinky look reaaally attractive all of a sudden.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

sqook

Post by sqook » Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:19 pm

Are there any Ms. Pinky users out there that have been able to use this software to control live5? If so, how does it work? Is it easy to set up? Is it worth buying Ms. Pinky for?