How to Change the Pitch of Evolving Synths?

Share your favorite Ableton Live tips, tricks, and techniques.
Supa Ninja

How to Change the Pitch of Evolving Synths?

Post by Supa Ninja » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:52 am

Hey!

This is a random question that might not pertain specifically to Live, But I have some awesome synth sounds that have a slow attack and I like the buildup and movement but as the song goes on I want these synths to change notes and sometimes chords and key seamlessly without stopping. I know I can pitch bend but it seems to take a while to find the right pitch and sometimes I want a chord progression without restarting the note. I'm using Absynth a lot so I was wondering would it make sense to automate the Attack to fast as I change notes or should I mess with the envelopes? Or is there someway to edit each notes pitch without restarting the note? I hope this makes sense thanks!

Supa Ninja

Usedtobe

Post by Usedtobe » Thu Feb 12, 2009 6:51 am

Not sure if this is what you mean, but you could automate the pitch bend. you wouldn't have to find the right note or anything that way, just tweak it ahead of time.

laird

Post by laird » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:07 pm

try using Portamento on the Synth (absynth) itself.
then just play new notes & the old ones should glide up or down to the new one, exactly.

arafel

Post by arafel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 8:12 pm

Had to do the similar task.. several times.

Ya love the beginning of a really long pad - but halfway thru ya want the pad to change into a full chord, or change chords - all without going thru the 'attack' phase (beginning) part of the pad.

Try..

Set up several tracks, all with the same instrument, and same patch(absynth in your case). Each track would play a different chord -all at the same time (set all tracks vol to zero to start). Fade one track in.. and then... just fade one track out, another in to change/ fade between chords (or keys), without retriggering the pad, and needing to go thru the attack phase again.

Sure it takes up several tracks, memory, cpu.. blah blah blah.. but hell.. we got the power! Freeze regions when done, and fade to hearts content.
2.8ghz Quad Mac, Live 9.77, Remote25, Maschine 1, Fa-66 optical link, Samson 65a. Dog hair.. lots.

Clearscreen

Post by Clearscreen » Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:05 pm

laird wrote:try using Portamento on the Synth (absynth) itself.
then just play new notes & the old ones should glide up or down to the new one, exactly.
+1, could also be called legato... you need to play so that a note is held down as you go to another (ie that the note on/offs overlap)
Hp Elitebook 2.8Ghz. Live 7.0.14 & Live 8.1.5, XP Pro. and stuff...