Live 8: Finally "warp" feature added to sampler?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
broke

Live 8: Finally "warp" feature added to sampler?

Post by broke » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:59 pm

Hey folks aka beta testers,
just wanted to know if the abes finally added the long missed "warp" feature to the sampler in Live 8.

This would turn sampler into a sampler for me :wink:

Thanks for any info

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Fri Jan 30, 2009 2:24 pm

No.

babkubwa

Post by babkubwa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:55 pm

any changes at all to sampler in version 8?

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Fri Jan 30, 2009 6:58 pm

Tarekith wrote:No.
:evil: :evil: :evil:
How is it they keep letting this slip by. Or is it that musicians now a days just are not interested in tuning their samples while keeping proper time?

Why is the least powerful instrument (for sound manipulation) Impulse, the only devise that can tune samples?
"I spent my life, laughing, wondering if crazy people even realized that they're crazy.......then one day, I realized..." - Flippa

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:15 pm

Willyum wrote:
Tarekith wrote:No.
:evil: :evil: :evil:
How is it they keep letting this slip by. Or is it that musicians now a days just are not interested in tuning their samples while keeping proper time?

Why is the least powerful instrument (for sound manipulation) Impulse, the only devise that can tune samples?
As we say in norway: T.T.T. (things takes time to do)

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Fri Jan 30, 2009 7:58 pm

You can warp audio files using the regular warping in clip envelopes, save the warped file(s) and drop them into Sampler.

This is no different to Structure, Digidesign's sampler for pro tools, yet nobody seems to give Digidesign hell.

I know that some 3rd party samplers do have warping within the sampler GUI and that might be slightly more convenient, but the work around is not THAT painful.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:43 pm

also, if you assign a clip first hitting c1, and while pressing c1 hit c2, then you will have time stretched pitch change over the keyboard range c1 to c2 for that clip. Pretty cool feature.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:39 am

Grappadura wrote:also, if you assign a clip first hitting c1, and while pressing c1 hit c2, then you will have time stretched pitch change over the keyboard range c1 to c2 for that clip. Pretty cool feature.
Is this a new feature in Live 8 and for what device, Simpler or Sampler or are you responding to the 'Yes-Man' above about Digidesign's Sampler?
"I spent my life, laughing, wondering if crazy people even realized that they're crazy.......then one day, I realized..." - Flippa

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:42 am

Let's get it right Willyum - The cooler, modern term is FANBOY, not 'yes man' !! :lol:

And the above was posted in case you didn't know that information - Grappadura's info (good call man) is not a new feature in L8, it exists in L7 too.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:59 am

Grappadura wrote:also, if you assign a clip first hitting c1, and while pressing c1 hit c2, then you will have time stretched pitch change over the keyboard range c1 to c2 for that clip. Pretty cool feature.
Pretty cool if you don't plan on using your keyboard to actually play any other instruments in your live set.
Professional Shark Jumper.

kb420

Re: Live 8: Finally "warp" feature added to sampler?

Post by kb420 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:17 am

broke wrote:Hey folks aka beta testers,
just wanted to know if the abes finally added the long missed "warp" feature to the sampler in Live 8.

Thanks for any info

Why don't you warp the sample anyway you want to in the normal way and then use the slice feature set to "slice to warp marker" mode. Then you can make a drum rack out of your sample and have an instance of Simpler assigned to every slice.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:57 am

leedsquietman wrote:Let's get it right Willyum - The cooler, modern term is FANBOY, not 'yes man' !! :lol:

And the above was posted in case you didn't know that information - Grappadura's info (good call man) is not a new feature in L8, it exists in L7 too.
Ok, you handled me picking a fight with you pretty good, so.... I tried what you guys are talking about but I'm at work with only a computer keyboard, didn't work with sampler or simpler. I'll try again on a regular keyboard... thanx

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:08 am

kb420 wrote: Why don't you warp the sample anyway you want to in the normal way and then use the slice feature set to "slice to warp marker" mode. Then you can make a drum rack out of your sample and have an instance of Simpler assigned to every slice.
The thing I've been complaining about for quite some time now is without adding true stretch capability to sampler or simpler, the sliced files will only be in their original format. Warping IS time stretch.

So if you have to warp a sample then try to export as slices there will be gaps all over the place.... and if you go to correct the gaps your slices will be out of tune with each other.

They already built thier time stretch in impulse, but you can't slice to impulse.... I wouldn't even need instrument upgrading, just allow me to slice to Impulse and I'm fine. :(

kb420

Post by kb420 » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:11 am

Have you tried slicing manually into Impulse from the Arrangement View?

Just trynna help.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:14 am

kb420 wrote:
broke wrote:Hey folks aka beta testers,

Thanks for any info

Why don't you warp the sample anyway you want to in the normal way and then use the slice feature set to "slice to warp marker" mode. Then you can make a drum rack out of your sample and have an instance of Simpler assigned to every slice.
I'm not so sure that this is exactly what the OP had in mind, but I absolutely love this feature - it opened up live in a whole new way for me.