[Max for Live] what will be the first device you'll build ?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
julienb

[Max for Live] what will be the first device you'll build ?

Post by julienb » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:16 am

Personnaly, I'll try to clone impulse in order to get mute / solo control via midi !!!

I'd like to use it because of the coherence of rythm pattern: all in one clip, etc

and you?
Julien Bayle
Art + Teaching/Consulting

Ableton Certified Trainer
Max Certified Trainer

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:21 am

MIDI device that generates complex LFOs, step sequencer, and Multi-point envelope that can be assigned to any parameters in the channel at the press of a key. This way you can rack em and have unlimited lfos, step sequencers, and multi-point envelopes controlling all instrument AND effect plugin parameters, expanding the capabilities of all the plugins way beyond what they came with (unless we're talking about Alchemy which is about as bad ass as it gets)

G.

Post by G. » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:29 am

Live sync over the network...

3rdordertrauma

Post by 3rdordertrauma » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:33 am

Geezus wrote:MIDI device that generates complex LFOs, step sequencer, and Multi-point envelope that can be assigned to any parameters in the channel at the press of a key. This way you can rack em and have unlimited lfos, step sequencers, and multi-point envelopes controlling all instrument AND effect plugin parameters, expanding the capabilities of all the plugins way beyond what they came with (unless we're talking about Alchemy which is about as bad ass as it gets)
And I hope you do!! And I hope you share! Actually I would be happy with just the multi-point envelopes part of it.

Myself... well I'll be learning max first... I'm sure that will absorb a good chunk of time.

Geezus

Post by Geezus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:38 am

3rdordertrauma wrote:
Geezus wrote:MIDI device that generates complex LFOs, step sequencer, and Multi-point envelope that can be assigned to any parameters in the channel at the press of a key. This way you can rack em and have unlimited lfos, step sequencers, and multi-point envelopes controlling all instrument AND effect plugin parameters, expanding the capabilities of all the plugins way beyond what they came with (unless we're talking about Alchemy which is about as bad ass as it gets)
And I hope you do!! And I hope you share! Actually I would be happy with just the multi-point envelopes part of it.

Myself... well I'll be learning max first... I'm sure that will absorb a good chunk of time.
I got a long way to go before I learn enough to apply the idea. And yes I will be sharing, but if I put in a bunch of time on it and it works really well I'll prolly charge like 10 bux for it.

julienb

Post by julienb » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:43 am

I hope people shares ... indeed.
cause max4live price can block all sharing behaviour ;)

I'll share.
Julien Bayle

Max Certified Trainer

creature

Post by creature » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:45 am

I think i might grab the max/msp demo and start having a tinker. Not sure what I will build first. It will probs be some audio effects in the realm of crazy decimations etc.

Naturally I will share my output :-)

hoffman2k

Re: [Max for Live] what will be the first device you'll build ?

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:52 am

julienb wrote:Personnaly, I'll try to clone impulse in order to get mute / solo control via midi !!!
Put a MIDI Effect Rack in front of the Impulse.
8 chains, each assigned to a key on the impulse.
There you go, MIDI controllable Solo/Mute that mutes notes rather than sounds.

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:55 am

I'd build a device to catch all exceptions from live and handle them properly...

julienb

Re: [Max for Live] what will be the first device you'll build ?

Post by julienb » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:00 am

hoffman2k wrote:
julienb wrote:Personnaly, I'll try to clone impulse in order to get mute / solo control via midi !!!
Put a MIDI Effect Rack in front of the Impulse.
8 chains, each assigned to a key on the impulse.
There you go, MIDI controllable Solo/Mute that mutes notes rather than sounds.
already did it.

but... for live performance ... WOW!! too complexe, rack of rack etc.
because in each track, I have rack already.
I commute chains directly in clips.
and I want to keep the feature of routing each part of my drum sections... (for fx, etc) by using this method, it is impossible cause I have to reassign each sub track of all impulse each time I change...
Julien Bayle

Max Certified Trainer

chrysalis33rpm

Post by chrysalis33rpm » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:04 am

integrating the step sequencer that come with M4L into my setup for the padkontrol (now that I have the tasty max ingredients from PKsquared from the CovOps- thanks guys!)

hdrpbx

Post by hdrpbx » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:25 am

hopefully, if it will be possibile to send/recieve midisysex to/from external devices, an editor for my emu 5000-ultra sampler
dont know how much time it will take me toh, i just donwloaded the max 5 demo and i'm still at the print "hello world" phase of the tutorials , lol

julienb

Post by julienb » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:38 am

hdrpbx wrote:hopefully, if it will be possibile to send/recieve midisysex to/from external devices, an editor for my emu 5000-ultra sampler
dont know how much time it will take me toh, i just donwloaded the max 5 demo and i'm still at the print "hello world" phase of the tutorials , lol

max manages sysex with no problem!
and max for live = max/msp/jitter + live object... so :)
Julien Bayle

Max Certified Trainer

creature

Post by creature » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:51 am

It would be interesting so build a M4L version of reaktors spiral sequencer tool :-)

Low Frequency Obstinator

Post by Low Frequency Obstinator » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:51 am

Geezus wrote:
3rdordertrauma wrote:

I got a long way to go before I learn enough to apply the idea. And yes I will be sharing, but if I put in a bunch of time on it and it works really well I'll prolly charge like 10 bux for it.
From a previous thread I undestood that you use a pirated copy of live?
Hope the devices you create and sell for 10 bux don't suffer from being created on cracked software.

Just a thought.
Live (yoghurt) - MBP- Circuit Bent Rampant Rabbit - Mongolian Nose Flute - 'The Marvelous Mechanical Mouse Organ' (on loan from Bagpuss) and a Swanee Whistle made from a used heroin syringe.