live 8: new midi enhancements?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
bartvd

live 8: new midi enhancements?

Post by bartvd » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:27 am

Theres very little info on this.
most of you dont care much , but i hope there is much improved.

i really hope you can merge 2 midi clips in one, without 'erasing' the other.
macbook 2ghz, 2g ram. live 7
yamaha wx5/ akai ewi usb

logic_user99

Re: live 8: new midi enhancements?

Post by logic_user99 » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:00 am

bartvd wrote:Theres very little info on this.
most of you dont care much , but i hope there is much improved.

i really hope you can merge 2 midi clips in one, without 'erasing' the other.
+1. That's something that I loved about Logic, and hope that it's implemented in the L8 update. It'll save so much time for combining MIDI parts to dump onto the MPC...
Macbook | Live 7.0.18 |

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:08 am

you can easily copy your midi notes and then paste in, but the process needs to be repeated for automation etc.

what's really cool is you get an "insert mark" that lets you see quite clearly where you're pasting, so you can do these wild offset-y things, time-wise.

mdk

Post by mdk » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:44 am

Machinate wrote:what's really cool is you get an "insert mark" that lets you see quite clearly where you're pasting,
at last!

the copy / paste stuff in midi clips drives me crazy.
Pr0k Records - Bandcamp Facebook Twitter

bartvd

Post by bartvd » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:10 am

yeah, but i dont want just copy paste.. i want them stacked on top of each other, still beeing able to hear both.
this way i can edit it easier later on.
yamaha wx5/ akai ewi usb

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:15 am

bartvd wrote:yeah, but i dont want just copy paste.. i want them stacked on top of each other, still beeing able to hear both.
Group several midi tracks. The scenes will show up more or less like one "clip", but you can open it up and there'll be multiples inside.

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:20 am

One thing I'd like to see (maybe it's already there but I'm missing it) Is the ability to Edit midi in the Arrange view, direct in the time line. And not the only in the clip view. It would be a real timesaver.. Maybe someone can 'enlighten' me on this one..

Hd

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:24 am

High time we got a proper copy/paste function! Has anyone managed to find
any info on how the clip view looks with multiple clips selected?
Is it finally
also possible to transpose multiple clips? Oh, please, say it's so! That's the
last piece of the MIDI puzzle, as far as I'm concerned (now that we've got
proper pasting and simple +/- 12 semitones transposition).

EDIT:
Machinate wrote:Group several midi tracks. The scenes will show up more or less like one "clip", but you can open it up and there'll be multiples inside.
Is that perchance the answer?
Last edited by sporkles on Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

eddu

Post by eddu » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:27 am

I dont know if you are asking about this but i´d like to see a true overwrite MIDI feature on the Arrangement view, where you record over the same previous clip, not create another one on top of the existing (which IMO is not quite an "overwrite" thing. You always end up having to consolidate after the recording and sometimes you lose the beginning of the notes, or some notes length change due to the end of the new MIDI clip created, etc.

Anybody knows if this has been fixed on 8?

sporkles

Post by sporkles » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:31 am

eddu wrote:I dont know if you are asking about this but i´d like to see a true overwrite MIDI feature on the Arrangement view, where you record over the same previous clip, not create another one on top of the existing (which IMO is not quite an "overwrite" thing. You always end up having to consolidate after the recording and sometimes you lose the beginning of the notes, or some notes length change due to the end of the new MIDI clip created, etc.

Agreed. It's always been sort of counter intuitive having to copy a clip back to
session just to record on top of the same clip.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:31 am

eddu wrote:I dont know if you are asking about this but i´d like to see a true overwrite MIDI feature on the Arrangement view, where you record over the same previous clip, not create another one on top of the existing (which IMO is not quite an "overwrite" thing. You always end up having to consolidate after the recording and sometimes you lose the beginning of the notes, or some notes length change due to the end of the new MIDI clip created, etc.

If the arrangement is looping, everything you record between the loop markers will be in one single clip. So instead of erasing a previous recording, you just get a long clip containing every note you played for every pass. The same goes with audio clips too. This is already the case in earlier versions of Live.

bartvd

Post by bartvd » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:39 am

Machinate wrote:
bartvd wrote:yeah, but i dont want just copy paste.. i want them stacked on top of each other, still beeing able to hear both.
Group several midi tracks. The scenes will show up more or less like one "clip", but you can open it up and there'll be multiples inside.

when you group the miditracks. will you hear them all at once? that would be what i want.
and is this already in version 7 or is this new in live 8?
Last edited by bartvd on Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yamaha wx5/ akai ewi usb

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Jan 16, 2009 11:45 am

Well, as you know you can easily feed several midi tracks into one instrument, as you can in Live7.
What's different here is that when folded, the entire row of midi sequences feeding into your midi instrument can be triggered as one, sort of a pseudo-scene, if you will.

I hope this makes sense.
bartvd wrote:when you group the miditracks. will you hear them all at once? that would be what i want.
and is this already in version 7 or is this new in live 8?

eddu

Post by eddu » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Now that we are with MIDI...can i see the content of the notes in several clips at the same time? Maybe if they are all inside the same group track? Can i see more than 1 layer of CC on the clip view (or in the arrangement its ok also).

Cheers

eddu

Post by eddu » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:14 pm

Nobody? Double clip editing impossible then?