ever had someone living in your studio?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

ever had someone living in your studio?

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:02 am

this is just a rant. venting.

I have a friend who ended up jobbless and homeless. I've known her since she was 14 or so and she's had to crash with me before. I've taken on the big brother role off and on for many years. so now shes litterally living in my studio at home. mattress on the floor, 2 cats, space heater plugged into the power strip that a music machine used to be plugged into.

I've gone in there a couple of times to fiddle and shes usually laying on the bed watching tv shows on MY laptop and eventually she asks me if I can use headphones.

AGGGHHHHH!

I guess I'll live. she'll be out soon hopefully.

just venting.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Post by 4.33 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:22 am

DONT FUCK her !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:28 am

I'm married.

used to want to back in the day though :)
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:34 am

Space heater plugged into a power strip is a fire hazard srsly :!:

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:37 am

last man on earth wrote:Space heater plugged into a power strip is a fire hazard srsly :!:
hm...I've been doing that for years...

so directly into the outlet on the wall is better?

FrancodeLeon88

Post by FrancodeLeon88 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:05 am

Dude, she tells you to put headphones on? That is terrible. I woulda exploded on her ass.

Of course, I'm also not the type to let someone live in my studio.

Time to toss her - she's too comfy.

The worst thing you can say is that you put those headphones on.

Your wifey is cool with this?

DJ Franco de Leon
www.FRANCODELEON.com

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:12 am

FrancodeLeon88 wrote:Dude, she tells you to put headphones on? That is terrible. I woulda exploded on her ass.

Of course, I'm also not the type to let someone live in my studio.

Time to toss her - she's too comfy.

The worst thing you can say is that you put those headphones on.

Your wifey is cool with this?

DJ Franco de Leon
www.FRANCODELEON.com
wifey is cool with it, we are all laid back people. actually.. the sad thing is we are living with my parents right now while we looking to buy a house. it's f*ing crazy here cause it's me, my wife, my mom, my dad, my uncle!, 4 F*CKING CATS, and a puppy. life is weird.

I'm just lucky that I have a studio in a house like this, they gave me a room all to myself for it. which now is being occupied by julia (the guest) shes only been here a week or something. and I wanna help out a friend. but it sucks to think I can't go in there at midnight and twiddle.

FrancodeLeon88

Post by FrancodeLeon88 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:30 am

Dang, I thought she had been there forever, considering she was settled enough to ask you to put on some cans.

I don't know man - the music is the only thing that makes sense to me. I don't have much more than that, so not be able to access it....

But, its a kind thing you're doing for your friend. Just don't let her keep you from the goodness too long.

G'luck,

DJ Franco de Leon

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:55 am

whats gonna suck is I'm getting close to buying a badass machine, been saving for months and months. and when I buy it I'm likely not even gonna have a chance to play with it very often.

the funny thing is I'm not even sure what I'm buying yet ! :) the wife just told me I can save up to buy a dream machine and I've been doing just that.

right now it's a toss up between building a 2 rack modular and getting an elektron machinedrum.

can you imagine having either of those in your studio and not being able to go in there cause theres a girl sleeping on the floor with her cats???

heavensdaw

Post by heavensdaw » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:58 am

Hey mate.. You're doing a decent thing.. helping out a friend. My only advice would be to set your rules straight right now, don't delay (no pun intended), as the longer shit goes on the harder it becomes to put right.. She's is your friend, and you're doing her a big favor.... She'll understand.. One other solution is, you give her your room with the wife, and you move into the studio :D

Hope you get it sorted bro..

I once had someone come live with me, who also had a load of studio gear, we joined forces and all that.. But when shit came up between us it was the music that always suffered.. I ended up kicking him out after a while, for not paying the rent, consuming everything in the house, and basically being a wanker!

I would find it hard doing something like that again..

Hd

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:03 am

heavensdaw wrote:But when shit came up between us it was the music that always suffered..
one reason I've never worked with anyone, it would pain me to have to lose a bunch of music due to a parting of ways.

chapelier fou

Post by chapelier fou » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:12 am

I live in my studio !
MacBook Pro 13" Retina i7 2.8 GHz OS 10.13, L10.0.1, M4L.
MacStudio M1Max 32Go OS 12.3.1

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:14 am

chapelier fou wrote:I live in my studio !
oh dude, you just reminded me of one of the best times in my life. I had no job and I had a metalish band that practiced in a warehouse. but they had couches and a tv in the warehouse and I used to sit there all night with my laptop making music. it was beautiful. I'd wake up in the middle of the day and go get breakfast at a gas station and then come back and make music again.

ohhh..... to be 19 again.

jeskola

Post by jeskola » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:16 am

Never take a friend in... they will end up not your friend.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:19 am

jeskola wrote:Never take a friend in... they will end up not your friend.
letting a friend live on the streets is a good way to lose a friend too.