UAD Plugins

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
sparklepuff

UAD Plugins

Post by sparklepuff » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:18 am

I just want to say HOLY FUCK these things sound good. I treated myself to a UAD-2 card recently, and with their big ass sale going on picked up many of the compressor and EQ plugs. Holy shit is all I have to say.

I'm sure fellow UAD owners will simply echo my sentimentalities regarding this group of plugs. Now where the hell is my RE-201 plug!!!! Come on!!

Oh, and the plate reverb, sick as poo, baby, sick as poo.

dcease

Post by dcease » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:05 am

:roll:
same as every other plug in. nothing special, live's plugs can do the same...

pffft :lol: you'll love re-201... which comps/eq's did you get? i was thinking of picking up the la3a, it'll cost me like 20 bucks or something 8) hell, i thhink i've only spent around 250 dollars for the plugs i have, and i have half of them, the sales and promotions rock! i had a bad xpander, and they let me get the vouchers/crossgrades 2x's, plus i hit up during a great sale! so even tho the uad2 xpander will make mine obsolete, i got an assload of plugs, which equals out, if i do upgrade to it... but yeah, good shit. and there is usually something interesting in the webzines to read, plus i reckon they are fixing to work on an interface (based on a survey recently), i bet that thing will be the fucking bomb...

fuck that company, they are like crack... :)

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:16 am

I got the Neve bundle, Helios, Pultec Pro, 1176, LA2A, LA3A.

Yeah, I can't wait for them to port the RE-201 to the UAD-2. Though I have the real thing, so it'll do in the mean time. 8)

Yeah, with the $500 voucher and the crazy ass sale, this shit cost pretty much nothing. Glad I waited to pick up the plugs, I knew they'd have a big sale in December when the EQ's were on Sale in Oct., Comps on sale in Nov, I knew December was going to be big sale month. I was right. Hallelujah.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:23 am

Ever since the UAD-2 was launched they have been doing discounts and coupons every month. I just got the RE-201 and the Moog filter (I have 2 UAD-1's and a UAD-2; works great) both really nice!!! Later this month 5.2 is coming out, all the UAD-1 plugs will be ported to the UAD-2 and there will be 2 new ones.

Next year they're coming out with a plug-in modeled on the Empirical Labs Fatso! A compressor, transformer & various types of saturation/distortion.
Hot! :D

cubehog

little comparison, please ?

Post by cubehog » Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:20 am

Sometimes I have the temptation to bite my own ass, because I had a laptop and the Poco FW was the only FW-solution at this time.

Can someone (probably vaguely) explain "how much" the EQ and comps do sound better? Is it worth to ditch the poco fw and buy a UAD2-expander?

It would be hard to resell the poco because there´s a forum. and the forum isn´t too positive about TC´s general practice
towards customers and specifically the driver development (64bit drivers still not available)

my unit works but I am tempted to switch sides. but that damn virus-plug-in keeps me away from doing it.

der ivo

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Sun Dec 07, 2008 3:57 pm

The EMT Plate 140 and RE201 Space Echo plugins are without equal. The LA2A is also great, as is the 1176 Precision Limiter.

I like Audio Damage's much cheaper emulations of these (reverence and dubstation) but while they are great for their price, if you ever listened to the UAD plugins seriously, you would know the difference.

Very good. I would say they are more worth the money than Waves plugins for sure, but it IS a lot of money. But then again, so are Metric Halo, TC Powercore and Liquid Mix etc, all stuff of comparable quality.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:13 pm

The UAD-2 expander is not out yet, it is going to be a Quad and it will need the new expresscard interface to connect to a laptop.

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Sun Dec 07, 2008 4:20 pm

+1,000,000 on the RE-201 - UAD really nailed that one...

1. drop RE-201 on send
2. instant dub
3. ????????
4. Profit!!!

cubehog

Post by cubehog » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:12 am

I guess I´m lucky, because I didn´t have the chance to do a comparison between the
2 units and I didn´t hear the UAD plug-ins with the type of music I make.
So I pretend to myself the difference is not so big when it comes to techy music. Sometimes pretending is the only way to avoid serious brain damage.

Poco-plugs aren´t that bad, but if you have the chance to beef your sound up and make it more organic.
Hell, I would eat spaggheti with mostrich for 3 months. Even more.
From all what I read UAD seem to be the better company in many ways.

But first I have to buy a white macbook. We become a serious live act now. Even without UAD-usage. But after that UAD-2 is the way to go.

sorry for the bump. But posts here sealed the deal to go the UAD route.
Thanks

timothyallan

Post by timothyallan » Tue Dec 09, 2008 10:00 am

How do they compare to the URS/Sonnox/Waves API etc high end plugins?

Grappadura

Post by Grappadura » Tue Dec 09, 2008 12:08 pm

a uad 1 ultra pak just went by on ebay unnoticed. I had it on my watchlist but checked it 20 minutes too late. Arrrggg :? :x :evil: Could have bought it for 1 € !! (wheres the smiley with the tears in the eyes when you need it)

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0292571861

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:32 pm

Question:

Can one use external sidechain in UAD compressor plugins?

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:40 pm

I like the Sonnox plugins.

Waves have some good plugins (Maxxbass and IR-1 being two), but not all of them are that special and rather than buy the diamond or mercury bundles, you should consider going UAD and a few of their plugins.

Also Waves being on ilok and having the ridiculous WUP (Waves Upgrade Policy) makes me want to steer really wide of them.

URS - I think they mostly make plugins for Protools don't they ?? (like McDSP). I have read favourable reviews but I don't know because our pro tools HD rig at work uses only Digidesigns's Bomb Factory plugins and Waves plugins.

Soundtoys effects are also really nice but given they don't make VST versions, they are only worth considering if you are using an Audio Units host or digidesign RTAS.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Enrique

Post by Enrique » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:44 pm

Grappadura wrote:a uad 1 ultra pak just went by on ebay unnoticed. I had it on my watchlist but checked it 20 minutes too late. Arrrggg :? :x :evil: Could have bought it for 1 € !! (wheres the smiley with the tears in the eyes when you need it)

http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie ... 0292571861
Wow, that's strange! Are you sure the guy didn't cancel the auction prematurely?

Enrique

Post by Enrique » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:48 pm

"Der Verkäufer hat das Angebot beendet, da der Artikel nicht mehr zum Verkauf steht."

:wink: :wink: :wink: