Retitled: MFB Kult and other drum machine/sampler queries

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:32 pm

well i already have an ER-1. So I have the analog bases covered. Just want something with lofi acoustic-ish sounds to pair it up with. I also have an SR-16 but its not lofi and retro enough. So I want more machines!

i have no excuse. Its just a bad drum machine fetish that I've developed lately. :oops:

lola

Post by lola » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:39 pm

aqua_tek wrote:well i already have an ER-1. So I have the analog bases covered. Just want something with lofi acoustic-ish sounds to pair it up with. I also have an SR-16 but its not lofi and retro enough. So I want more machines!

i have no excuse. Its just a bad drum machine fetish that I've developed lately. :oops:
Electribe ESX-1 is cool for these kinda things.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:17 pm

OK time to stop the fetish thing. to go out and start buying a shitload of old drum machines is impractical. With the plethora of samples already available, I can pretty much just buy a big pack of classic drum machine samples, then load them all into drum racks and play them there...

OR...

well i still kind of want a good, reliable outboard tool to work with drums, besides the ER-1... kind of have the ER-1 as the analog sounds layer, then have something to work samples with. Thinking an MPC may be a good idea after all. My roommate has a 5000 and that thing is massive and gives me an insane case of GAS every time I walk into that room. But I'm thinking something more compact (not to mention, cheaper). Like a 1000 or even a 500.

What's a good price for a second-hand 1000? Is the black one better than the blue one? Can I use it as a midi controller too? I know I can look this shit up, but I'm feeling talkative. Part of my effort to ignore this massive headache. Yay, hangovers!

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Fri Nov 21, 2008 6:40 pm

I just scored a loaded MPC2000XL off of ebay for $350 US, which I bought because it is and always has been rock solid on the MIDI front (had one before, sold it, and missed it so much I had to replace it).

You'll find that they are cheaper than the 1000, and personally, after having tried them both, I have to stick with the 2KXL.

There is pretty much no advantage to getting an MPC60 nowadays, unless you can afford a museum piece that you will eventually have to fix.

You should check out this page for MPC vs MPC details (they don't have comparisons for MPC's since the 2000xl, but still a lot of good info) -

http://www.mpc3000.com/mpc_vs_mpc.htm

That page stems from a more comprehensive site:

http://www.midicase.com/

The two things that most people want out of the MPC60 is the 12bit lofi sound and the original Roger Linn swing - whether or not you can really hear the swing and prove a difference is subjective, but you're likely to have serious problems with the screens on 60's and 3000's anymore, and if you were to have the pads and the screen go out on either, you'd be looking at repair costs that would equal up to the price of the item, making your museum piece a paperweight.

If you really want the 12 bit sound, you could look for a Bitrman on ebay, which would set you back a few hundy and not be near the headache of buying such an antiquated piece.

If you do decide to get a 1000, you should consider the Japanese Jenius upgrade:

http://www7a.biglobe.ne.jp/~mpc1000/

It makes your 1000 a compact version of a 2500, and only runs $50.

Also, you could probably get a used 1000 at guitar center for around $600, although, IMHO, the pads are too small, don't feel the same, and I don't care for the new screen setup as opposed to the 2000xl.

If you do have any other questions, you can drop me a line - I actually used to work for GC, sold more MPC's in the midwest than anyone else in the three years I worked there, and still give lessons.

EDIT: I hadn't actually looked at MPC1000 stuff online in a while, but apparently I'm not the only one who didn't dig the pads, as there has been a recent pad upgrade - from what I'm seeing, the model# is MPC1000BK-N, but I doubt you'll see those online as cheap as the older ones, since the upgrade is recent.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:52 am

thanks man, very helpful.

Well, what I like about the mpc 1000 is that it's got a small footprint, as opposed to the 2000 or even the 2500. I also like the USB thing for file transfer, and I'm assuming you can use it as a midi pad controller that way (?)

Kind of pricey from what I've seen. Not even sure how much I should be aiming to pay for one. I saw a deal for a floor model with 120 GB HD installed, and memory maxed out for $899. Sounds like kind of a decent deal, but the fact that it's a floor model is a big turn off.

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:06 am

Yeah, definitely stay away from floor models - there's no telling what dumbass was standing over it while drinking soda, or what kid was beating the shit out of while his dad was in the drum section.

The main thing is the new pad set -it is, from all information posted about it, a worthy upgrade to have, and costs $180-200 to have it done after the fact, and you could buy the new one untouched for the price of buying the old one with a separate upgrade.

Info on the pads:

http://1226354.estore.networksolutionsd ... bok?no=220

As far as the USB connection goes - the MPC turns into a big card reader when you utilize the USB port - it will not transmit MIDI in any kind of live or sequencing situation, although you can move MIDI files back and forth from your computer to your MPC. All that means is that it's strictly storage, and you'll still have to have some kind of separate MIDI/USB interface. In fact, when the MPC is in transfer mode, it won't do anything else, including play samples, until you turn the mode off.

Storage in the 120 gb range is nice, but the amount of loaded audio can only get to be so much, and definitely not the expanse of 120 gb of loaded samples, so you really don't need that much. When you consider that the MPC2000/2000xl, which has been the most common MPC sold for about a decade, and that most users used 100 to 250 mb SCSI zip drives and rolled on 32 mb of ram, and you think about what those people have done on that sequencer, the amount of storage in an MPC1000 seems overkill. You could get a 2gb cf card for CHEAP, and that would hold as many samples as you need, especially if your going to use it for a MIDI controller with Live for playing out. Storage would be the least of my worries if looking at somewhere to cut costs, at least in this equation. Do go for the memory, though - worth the money.

Usually Akai has rebates, too, but I haven't seen any on the MPC1000 lately. There is also Guitar Center's "Black Friday" sale the day after thanksgiving, if you care to deal with that.

Footprint: MPC1000 is 13"x9", and the 2000xl is 16"x13".

lola

Post by lola » Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:50 am

aqua_tek wrote:OK time to stop the fetish thing. to go out and start buying a shitload of old drum machines is impractical. With the plethora of samples already available, I can pretty much just buy a big pack of classic drum machine samples, then load them all into drum racks and play them there...

OR...

well i still kind of want a good, reliable outboard tool to work with drums, besides the ER-1... kind of have the ER-1 as the analog sounds layer, then have something to work samples with. Thinking an MPC may be a good idea after all. My roommate has a 5000 and that thing is massive and gives me an insane case of GAS every time I walk into that room. But I'm thinking something more compact (not to mention, cheaper). Like a 1000 or even a 500.

What's a good price for a second-hand 1000? Is the black one better than the blue one? Can I use it as a midi controller too? I know I can look this shit up, but I'm feeling talkative. Part of my effort to ignore this massive headache. Yay, hangovers!

If you want sound, go for a 3000 or 60, diff opamps and da stage, (original linn designs)
The new one's sound much different, cleaner so to say.(but more specs)

An other oldy but goody, but a bit limited, is the good old emu sp1200, load some samples in that machine, instant daftpunk. (but it's a expensive one)

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Nov 22, 2008 7:53 pm

yeah i was looking for some SP1200's but pricey! also pretty hard to find.

I would love to get in on an mpc 60, but seriously, it's like last man says. Kind of a lot of money for a piece of kit that will most surely crap out sooner than later. I guess that's kind of part of the "beauty" of owning vintage stuff though.

Also kind of pricey, which is another detail. I could buy a 1000 for cheaper than a 60 and it's less limited in many ways. Plus I know i won't have to worry about it dying on me anytime soon. I guess I could live with not having a vintage piece for now. I'll trade in nostalgia and collector's item buzz for cost-effectiveness and stability. As far as the dirt and grit that the 60 adds... well I'll just find some good old-school samples and add dirt afterwards with some trickery (Redux is great for this :D )

Feeling tempted by the 2000 though. Question... I see that the 2000 has a SCSI port for zip drives and all that. Could I hook up my Lacie hard drive to it with a Firewire to SCSI adapter, then dump samples into the MPC that way? That'd be pretty nifty

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:11 pm

aqua_tek wrote: Feeling tempted by the 2000 though. Question... I see that the 2000 has a SCSI port for zip drives and all that. Could I hook up my Lacie hard drive to it with a Firewire to SCSI adapter, then dump samples into the MPC that way? That'd be pretty nifty
I've never tried that, and haven't heard any stories online, either, so I don't know, but I do know you could get a USB bus powered SCSI drive for 250mb disks on ebay for under $30, and you could get a 250 MB SCSI drive with cables for your MPC for probably $10 at a thrift store or used computer parts store.

Or you could go even more compact for a little more dough and get the option for way more storage in a smaller space by getting the MCD reader for install into the MPC:

http://www.mpcstuff.com/2000xl-mcd-mult ... drive.html

that would allow you to use a CF card in the mpc - that along with a USB CF reader for your computer would give you plenty of storage, for a tiny footprint.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sat Nov 22, 2008 9:31 pm

Thanks, yeah that was just an idea that crossed my mind briefly. Would be nice to be able to do that. Maybe some MPC modding geniuses will figure out a way to work this eventually, if its not possible now.

Well, I'll keep looking into it. Found someone selling a 2000XL SE-2 (the one with yellow finish and red pads + all the upgrades) for $500 8O VERY TEMPTED, but so weird... I would have expected that to be a more expensive deal. Contacted for details.

shit looks hot!

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Sat Nov 22, 2008 11:59 pm

aqua_tek wrote:Thanks, yeah that was just an idea that crossed my mind briefly. Would be nice to be able to do that. Maybe some MPC modding geniuses will figure out a way to work this eventually, if its not possible now.

Well, I'll keep looking into it. Found someone selling a 2000XL SE-2 (the one with yellow finish and red pads + all the upgrades) for $500 8O VERY TEMPTED, but so weird... I would have expected that to be a more expensive deal. Contacted for details.

shit looks hot!
Use paypal, they're insured - also, is that deal for the MFC42 and 2KXL? That price is super low, if it is...I would jump on it, but pay so that you're covered.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Nov 23, 2008 12:59 am

not sure about the MFC being included. he put up that picture on the posting, but that's from a harmony central article, and there's no mention of the filter module in the post itself. So it's kind of misleading.

I've asked him about that, amongst other details. Still waiting for him to write back. We'll see.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Nov 23, 2008 7:26 pm

HO

LY

SHIT!

I did something crazy last night while WAY UNDER the influence of alcohol. This was like... 5 AM-ish... got back from a party with my roommate. We hung out with some other audio-savvy friends at the pad, and geeked out over this same topic, while looking at all sorts of gear auctions on ebay, then we see this one auction with an MPC 2500 going for like... 700 bucks.

So, jokingly, we decide that I should place a bid on it... Max bid of 800 bucks, thinking that there was no way the final price would stay below that. Wake up today, and what do I see in my gmail inbox? Well well! It's an invoice! Seems like I won that auction.

MPC 2500 for $790 8O

So I guess that settles the thread. Got a new 2500 coming in the mail soon :lol:

last man on earth

Post by last man on earth » Sun Nov 23, 2008 8:10 pm

That's a good deal - be sure and check every single button as soon as you get it, including the pads. Memory is vital, CD/Storage isn't as vital, although worth checking into if you're using it a lot at home (hard drive I mean, not the CD tray).

Have fun!

MPC MIDI is solid as gibraltar, so getting that set up as the MIDI master in your rig is something you'll want to focus on - probably want to get a MIDI/USB interface next, if you don't have one.

aqua_tek

Post by aqua_tek » Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:54 am

oh hai! Got it today...

and it had two unexpected (but good surprises). 1: It already has the 128 mb ram upgrade installed. 2: It has the CD-R/DVD drive installed. Aside from having arrived looking a bit dusty, this thing seems to be working perfectly at the moment. I kind of feel like I stole it from this guy 8O

As I have no more space in my room, I've had to place it on my little night table for the time being, as evidenced here.

Actually fits on that little tabletop perfectly. Just wish I had a little more space to be able to roll that table closer to my desk. It's not too far as it is. Close enough to be able to hook it up to the Fireface briefly, and the MBP for usb transfers.

Transferring a bunch of samples into the newly formatted 2 GB compact flash card I bought for it, as I write this... and I guess so far my only complaint is that this shit is taking forever