fuck trance

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Nod

Post by Nod » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:54 pm

thefool wrote:oh not doubting the last hehe. About his head that wasn't nice to say :(
I honestly wasn't referring to his physical attributes mate - merely the ego :wink:

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 7:59 pm

Nod wrote:
leisuremuffin wrote:Sure, your right, he doesn't mix all of those records. Probably has very little to do with tracking vocals too. But i'll bet that not much of the drum and key parts that he writes gets changed at all. And the stuff he writes is really good. There's a difference between that and sombody like sasha putting his face on a track that he barely touched at all.
That's a reasonable point - on the basis that he is the one doing it. Sadly I can't make that assumption and would only believe it if the process was captured on unedited film. In much the same way I don't assume that someone can genuinely sing note perfect just because it happens to be on a record. The old adage of knowing 'too much' about music to really enjoy it may well be applicable - the other side of that is that your appreciation for genuine magic is all the more potent.
as far as stealing other peoples work, he's one of the people who steered the entire genre away from a style of production that was built on nothing but stealing other peoples work. He deserves some credt for that. And like i said, it's his influence that has opened up that whole market for people like us to work in if we choose to.
Why exactly do you think TL is somehow responsible for this? In my view it's another example of the application of cheap consumer music technology versus much stricter sampling laws (hence no more 'real' PE records). If you think he's really done something worthwhile I can certainly respect your views LM quite simply because they certainly come over as far better constructed than any of his I've heard :)
oooooooo kaaaaaaaaay.

if that's the case we can't assume anyone makes the records they say they do. On what basis do you charge that it's more likely in timbaland's case?

How do I attribute that to him? By listening to the ground breaking stuff he was doing in the 90's. Have you actualy listened to any of the guy's tracks or are you just jumping on the bandwagon of hate?

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

thefool

Post by thefool » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:31 pm

Nod wrote:
thefool wrote:oh not doubting the last hehe. About his head that wasn't nice to say :(
I honestly wasn't referring to his physical attributes mate - merely the ego :wink:
:lol:

I do notice he wears really really BIG pants sometimes though

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Thu Jan 24, 2008 8:35 pm

L.M. don't hold your breath, I gave up on disbelieving in evil along time ago

Nod

Post by Nod » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:04 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:oooooooo kaaaaaaaaay. if that's the case we can't assume anyone makes the records they say they do.
In terms of modern recording techniques, and the the number of individuals involved in a major release, that's it in a nutshell.
On what basis do you charge that it's more likely in timbaland's case?
Take a look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ZhIgJbsuY

You may find this snippet musically impressive. I don't. That's a obviously a subjective opinion and you are as entitled to yours as I mine. But here's a question for you: why did it take 11 engineers to mix this (the final cut being done by Mannie Marroquin)? Should we take it that the other 10, no doubt highly paid/sought after, were crap - or was it just that the original material was so poorly 'produced'?
How do I attribute that to him? By listening to the ground breaking stuff he was doing in the 90's. Have you actualy listened to any of the guy's tracks or are you just jumping on the bandwagon of hate?
You said he was influenced by other genre's techniques such as IDM. Hence - it's not ground breaking outside the musical terms of the genre he inhabits.

leisuremuffin

Post by leisuremuffin » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:16 pm

Nod wrote:
On what basis do you charge that it's more likely in timbaland's case?
Take a look at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-ZhIgJbsuY

You may find this snippet musically impressive. I don't. That's a obviously a subjective opinion and you are as entitled to yours as I mine. But here's a question for you: why did it take 11 engineers to mix this (the final cut being done by Mannie Marroquin)? Should we take it that the other 10, no doubt highly paid/sought after, were crap - or was it just that the original material was so poorly 'produced'?

relevence? Not a timbaland production. Timbaland was brought in by kanye to help with some of the drum parts.

as far as your first point, it's just ridiculous to try to argue that so i wont.

and on the final point, are you saying that if someone is influenced by something else it can't be groudbreaking, or good? news to me.

.lm.
TimeableFloat ???S?e?n?d?I?n?f?o

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:32 pm

Idonotlikebroccoli wrote:Trance is actually great as long as it's done right. Especially the trance from the mid-nineties is brilliant, as it actually focused on entrancing unlike the pop'ish stuff they call trance nowadays.

Lots of good trance here: http://youtube.com/user/Bondangoed

There's been some good recent trance as well though. Check out the albums "Whirloop - A Fascination For Clouds" and "Solar Fields - EarthShine" for example.
Quoted so people would see that instead of having lame unrelated discussions. There is a lot more to trance than Tiësto, Paul van Dyk, Ferry Corsten etc. Open your minds people :)

Nod

Post by Nod » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:25 pm

leisuremuffin wrote:relevence? Not a timbaland production. Timbaland was brought in by kanye to help with some of the drum parts.
The relevance is he's, and his 'chops', are in it :)
as far as your first point, it's just ridiculous to try to argue that so i wont.
Fair enough - I'm not looking to argue LM. Just feel that sometimes, especially with commercial music, the 'artists' role can be somewhat overstated in comparison to all the other people that make it possible.
and on the final point, are you saying that if someone is influenced by something else it can't be groudbreaking, or good? news to me.
No - it certainly can be. And to turn that back to the OP's question it was acid house that originally sprang the likes of the KLF, System 7, Juno Reactor, Sabres, Black Dog, Orbital et al. So, as per Idonotlikebroccoli's comment, for those who haven't seen it before - enjoy this oldie and goodie:

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

Jacqueslacouth

Post by Jacqueslacouth » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:01 am

Not that you can use apple loops in Live anymore with bloody caf files. I am glad I didn't sell my old jam pack discs when I bought Logic 8. I find I use both for different types of projects. I am much easier using Logic for more rocky guitar type stuff, but I am just starting to get into Live gfor electronica jamming type thingy. Still finding my feet though, but I love it. Lots of fun. I also find the limitations of using only operator, loop library and impulse actually enhance creativity while I find the plethora of synths in Logic distracting.
Loving your children, caring for the environment and respecting each being you meet for who they are and not who you think they should be....COOL!!!!!

thefool

Post by thefool » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:07 pm

Jacqueslacouth wrote:Not that you can use apple loops in Live anymore with bloody caf files. I am glad I didn't sell my old jam pack discs when I bought Logic 8. I find I use both for different types of projects. I am much easier using Logic for more rocky guitar type stuff, but I am just starting to get into Live gfor electronica jamming type thingy. Still finding my feet though, but I love it. Lots of fun. I also find the limitations of using only operator, loop library and impulse actually enhance creativity while I find the plethora of synths in Logic distracting.
Hey man i think you can find the answer here: http://youtube.com/watch?v=3rL1kXvfFhU

fine tune btw.
I think you asked the question the wrong place :P

john gordon

Post by john gordon » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:06 am

bump

dcease

Post by dcease » Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:00 am

ahhh... .lm. ...

defender of...
everywhere!