Create "Group" from track selection

Share what you’d like to see added to Ableton Live.
Soma

Post by Soma » Sat Apr 07, 2007 6:36 pm

bry2k wrote:On a related note - no one has mentioned the term "solo isolate"
Actually, if the idea in post one were implemented, it would be very nice to have all tracks in a group and send returns also soloed when the group is soloed. And have all tracks in the group muted when the group is muted. I think that has been mentioned by at least few people.

Josh Von

Post by Josh Von » Sat Apr 07, 2007 7:47 pm

mercyplease wrote: I dont see any of the heavy post hitters around here asking for such a basic feature. I mean its so needed I find it hard to believe there was no attempt made to put this in live 6.
We have been asking for it for years, actually .. this thread is only the latest iteration of the request.

If you did a search you would find the request for true group / soloing over and over again.

I hope this has nothing to do with ableton just being different for the sake of it.
Who knows why - but since its such a basic necessity there must be some reason for the delay.

We'd like to think its not for that reason (for the sake of being different), but when you look at features like:

zoom functionality -- non-standard implementation, lack of mousewheel zoom etc, and

no true hotkey customization -- no ability to remap basic global functions .. say CTRL-L .. to another key internally etc)

MIDI editing -- no ability to edit MIDI within the track view .. etc ..

Then its easy to wonder if thats the case .. true ..

Soma

Post by Soma » Wed Apr 25, 2007 3:10 pm

You tell'em josh :lol:

alvaro

Post by alvaro » Tue May 08, 2007 3:54 pm

*bump*

Folder / group / bus tracks... or whatever you name it.... a must for Live 7

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Tue May 08, 2007 4:13 pm

I've probably posted before in this topic, but what the hell.. +1

If v6 had had track folders, my current project would have been finished a long time ago I would guess =/

ashtonron

Post by ashtonron » Thu May 24, 2007 8:37 am

arggghhh..

bump

Jonny Pancake

Post by Jonny Pancake » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:33 am

if version 7 or an earlier version 6.0.8 ? dont support folder tracks i will sell my fucking ableton and get sonar or cubase! :!:

bendybones

Post by bendybones » Tue Jun 05, 2007 10:03 pm

I LOVE the idea!! Would be superb!

Besides that...
forge wrote:that we cant even solo groups we curently have was cause for much whinging
The workaround I use is this, but maybe its not what u're after - apologies if i missed the point:

All impulse slots (for example) routed to seperate audio tracks then routed to a buss.
Simply assign the same midi or keyboard shortcut to every drum channel playing, and the buss, and any return tracks that are being sent drums.
With one button all drums are soloed.

Soma

Post by Soma » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:24 pm

Summer NAMM is coming!
Cross your fingers!

djgroovy

Post by djgroovy » Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:26 pm

+ 1 :)

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Wed Jun 13, 2007 11:46 am

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Jun 20, 2007 2:49 pm

Yeah, group tracks would be good.

This has been requested lots of times before. The only reason I can see why they wouldn’t do it is if they were concerned that this kind of feature detracts from the live performance aspect of Live. And some people seem against anything that makes Live more DAW-like.

You sometimes see requests like this replied with “If you want a traditional DAW, why not buy Cubase”. I think they’re missing the point.

For those people, here’s a few things that could be included in group tracks to make them a useful live performance tool in session view:

1. Group solo, as mentioned before.
2. Group launch and stop buttons, like a sub-scene (individual launch and stop buttons visible when expanded).
3. Group clips for envelopes containing group master automation. Not unlike dummy clips. This clip could be cut and copied around to move everything in the group folder. Or, when expanded, copy and pasted just to move the automation to other scenes.

And for arrangers, some more:

1. Multiple takes of a recording could be set to record onto subsequent audio tracks. These could then be opened up and edited in arrange view, cross fader curves added etc. And if they were really clever, this group could then be combined as a single group clip and moved back to the session view without rendering. Also useful for chopping up beats etc.
2. MDI parts could be overlaid so that you could see notes on other tracks in the same group as ghost notes (uneditable).

Just some thoughts.

Soma

Post by Soma » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:50 pm

I don't see pictures I made on the first page as particularly "distracting" or "conventional".
Seems to fit very well with the way Live works.
Also it would be HUGE for Dj's because you could have group scenes. It would be like sets inside sets and could be a solution combining sound sources with dummy tracks for more DJ control.

Soma

Post by Soma » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:25 pm

bump

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:14 am

I'll be surprised if this isn't implemented in v7. Seriously.

More than 100 replies and more than 12 000 views :P