MY ULTRALITE JUST WENT NUCKING FUTS!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
rikhyray

Re: MY ULTRALITE JUST WENT NUCKING FUTS!

Post by rikhyray » Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:30 pm

What do you see in the device manager ? Should say - "Texas Instruments OHCI Compliant 1394 Host controller" .
I had rather mixed feelings about the Rain company, on the website there are no details that I wanted to know,- less info then on most regular consumer notebook sites. I wrote them asking about couple of details but never received proper info.

UnitedElectric

Post by UnitedElectric » Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:07 pm

Yeah, TD, good work. FYI:

1) I have the fabled TI chipset and the fabled audio rice crispies. I have knowlege of many people who have the 'safe' chipset with the same issues, so I don't know how critical it really is.

2) I have been able to reduce the instances of the flip-outs by killing (disabling) all unused devices when I need audio, especially anything on a shared IRQ with my firewire. Laptops suck because more often than not, you can't change out IRQs. My solution was to disable anything sharing the IRQ, in my case, one of the USB host controllers and my PMCIA comtroller/slot.

3) Whilst reduced, the dreaded crispies of death do show themselves, usually at critical times. I have not had an attack since doing what Teedub recomended and I'll keep everybody posted on stability. I have not gigged or done a long session since making this change so I am cautiosly optimistic.

Alas, MOTU is broke. I know others are getting stability, but there are thousands of people dealing with this crapola. Check Youtube and you'll see the incredible dancing level meters on multiple MUTO models.

Teedub

Post by Teedub » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:16 pm

If I remember correctly, in my device manager it just says "OHCI Compliant 1394 Host controller". I'll check when I get home and edit if this is incorrect.

edit-----------------------------------------------------

Finally got word from ASUS and the firewire chipset is a Foxconn.

the shaman

Post by the shaman » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:11 pm

excuse my language but...PH*CK MOTU!!! THEY SUCK SO MUCH!!! :evil:
**HIGHER GROUND PRODUCTIONS"- Livebook 320 GB Laptop/KOMPLETE 5/KORE 2/MASCHINE/AKAI MPK 49/MBOX 2 MINI/ABLETON LIVE 8.2 SUITE

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Is it possible to connect a MOTU Ultralite to a Mac Pro using the Firewire 800 port using an adapter? My Ultralite is the version before Mk3 and is Firewire 400.

willdahbe

Post by willdahbe » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:46 pm

fatrabbit wrote:Is it possible to connect a MOTU Ultralite to a Mac Pro using the Firewire 800 port using an adapter? My Ultralite is the version before Mk3 and is Firewire 400.
yes, you can just get a firewire 400 to 800 cable.

fatrabbit

Post by fatrabbit » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:04 pm

willdahbe wrote:
fatrabbit wrote:Is it possible to connect a MOTU Ultralite to a Mac Pro using the Firewire 800 port using an adapter? My Ultralite is the version before Mk3 and is Firewire 400.
yes, you can just get a firewire 400 to 800 cable.
Thanks for the info!

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Thu Sep 17, 2009 11:45 pm

Damn that is some scary shit....and I started today thinking about getting an ultralite............so should I give up on that idea?

and as for only using the firewire interface for ASIO and the Reaktek or whatever card (yuk) for all the other windoze stuff: well, that was an interesting read, but that cain't be right, surely? 8O

epiphanius

Post by epiphanius » Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:25 am

Put me down for rethinking an ultrlight purchase as well. I was interested in something with dc coupled outputs in order to drive analog gear. Any alternatives come to mind?

e.

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:46 pm

ourgh!!!! it's driving me mad these days. hiss and noise all over the place. what was the workaround again? it has something to do with my FW slot on my desktop, right? should i try and buy a new one? no settings in windows or motu helped so far...
please help before i smash it.. :evil:
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

UnitedElectric

Post by UnitedElectric » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:35 pm

Just to post a report on my Ultrapoop. I have done the Teedub fix (thanks for the effort though) and my Utralite is still wiggin. Still unstable. To Ebay with her. I have done EVERYTHING. I will never get near a firewire interface again and NEVER near MOTU on my Windows setup. Looking at the Edirol/cakewalk ua-101. I need lots of ins and outs, but I don't really have a need for more than two mic pres. Any other ideas? Express card? Love you all like my children...

Goran@Irrupt

Post by Goran@Irrupt » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:35 pm

he guys,
there are new drivers on MOTU website. no more 11/12 outs as master outs! i'm running them for a couple of hours now with no probs. let's hope they fixed the bugs!
http://www.irrupt.com ? Irrupt Studios / A&R

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:37 pm

WebSite! wrote:he guys,
there are new drivers on MOTU website. no more 11/12 outs as master outs! i'm running them for a couple of hours now with no probs. let's hope they fixed the bugs!
Even though my Ultralite is running fine, cheers for the heads-up! What does "no more 11/12 outs as master outs!" mean exactly? My master outs are on 1/2.

UnitedElectric

Post by UnitedElectric » Mon Oct 26, 2009 2:59 pm

Website is speaking of the the fact that outs 11-12 had to be chosen in the pulldown on the Live master track as the mains on the Ultralite. But a taste of the weirdness that is this machine.

8O

Post by 8O » Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:11 pm

UnitedElectric wrote:Website is speaking of the the fact that outs 11-12 had to be chosen in the pulldown on the Live master track as the mains on the Ultralite. But a taste of the weirdness that is this machine.
Strange, not on my Ultralite. Main outs in Live are 1/2. Headphone cue is on 13/14. And it's been like that as long as I remember - for a good few years now. This is a pre-Mk3 Ultralite with Live on a Mac - maybe it's a Windows thing?