New Apple MacBook out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue May 16, 2006 7:12 pm

Some "un-glossed" pictures from an apple store here:
http://www.appleinsider.com/article.php?id=1748

Looks the business. It'll either go great with my thinkpad, or I'll get two, hehe.
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Tue May 16, 2006 7:17 pm

the unknown wanderer wrote:Iv took the plunge and orded one of the little beasts

black

100gb hd
2gbram

yehah!!!

im still keeping my p4 3.0mhz 1gb ram also but getting rid of my old crappy unreliable 1.1gig celeron laptop

out with the old in with the sexy new
How much man?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue May 16, 2006 7:21 pm

tomperson wrote:
the unknown wanderer wrote:Iv took the plunge and orded one of the little beasts

black

100gb hd
2gbram

yehah!!!

im still keeping my p4 3.0mhz 1gb ram also but getting rid of my old crappy unreliable 1.1gig celeron laptop

How much man?
You can build one on the Apple Store site and get a price quote... $2,099 (without Applecre, which IMO is essential)
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

gomi

Post by gomi » Tue May 16, 2006 7:29 pm

chris vine wrote:Don't want to wind the macheads up, but where can I get a PC laptop that has all those nice macbook/powerbook hardware attributes....sexy case, backlit keys etc but still runs windoze? I have too many plugs/apps that are PC.
You can run Windows on ANY of the new Macs.

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Tue May 16, 2006 7:34 pm

All i need now, is a (not so) poor sap to sell my g5 to :twisted:

Damn you apple. To think i was willing to save up 3000€ for a mb pro....
I wonder what will be wrong with these books. I mean, it's too good to be true really :wink:

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Tue May 16, 2006 7:36 pm

It seems it doesn't have glowing keyboard.
Too bad, that was one of the coolest features for live usage :(

And what's the fuzz about those glossy screens? What makes them better?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

draff

Post by draff » Tue May 16, 2006 7:39 pm

Can anyone really list out the differences in the macbook and macbook pro? I know the following:

screen size
pro has a built in mic (whoopee)

but what else? I can get the macbook with a 2 ghz duo, I can get the 120gb HD, I can get the 2gb of RAM, it has optical audio in/out, so what is the difference that causes the price gap? Is it just the technical things like front side bus, cache, etc? You know, stuff that I don't know a whole heck of alot about anyway? And does this stuff make that big of a difference?

I can deal with the smaller screen for all of the other benefits and low cost if performance is on par...

Anyone?

4onthfloor

Post by 4onthfloor » Tue May 16, 2006 8:02 pm

draff wrote:Can anyone really list out the differences in the macbook and macbook pro? I know the following:

screen size
pro has a built in mic (whoopee)

but what else? I can get the macbook with a 2 ghz duo, I can get the 120gb HD, I can get the 2gb of RAM, it has optical audio in/out, so what is the difference that causes the price gap? Is it just the technical things like front side bus, cache, etc? You know, stuff that I don't know a whole heck of alot about anyway? And does this stuff make that big of a difference?

I can deal with the smaller screen for all of the other benefits and low cost if performance is on par...

Anyone?

You can add integrated graphics and non-illuminated keys to the list, but depending on your usage, those might not make a whole lot of difference either. Also, it doesn't look like you can opt for the 7200 RPM HD on the 13. Also, I read a lot of people bitching about the "glossy" display, but I have no experience with that, so i'm not sure if that would affect your judgement. Just something else to consider.

bigbadotis

Post by bigbadotis » Tue May 16, 2006 8:22 pm

dude, one of those little dots next to the iSight *has* to be a microphone. I know it's not in the tech specs, but what's the point of providing an iSight for videoconferencing if you don't include a cheapo mic.

actually, taking a closer look at the specs, I think the mic is included as part of the iSight. That's why it's not listed in the audio specs.

Look at this picture:

http://www.apple.com/macbook/isight.html

the dot to the left is the mic.

ultrasource

Post by ultrasource » Tue May 16, 2006 8:23 pm

i'm working on a hp L2000 lappy with a glossy screen. it's nice, but as pointed out earlier.... i deal with a lot of glare. i'm actually surprised it's not an option (as it looks like it is on the macbook pro, now).
i'm glad i didn't get a macbook pro now.... i'm much more comfortable spending 1200 than 2000. I don't need the insane graphics performance.
HP L2000 | Live 5 + Operator | MOTU 828mkII | other stuff

the unknown wanderer

Post by the unknown wanderer » Tue May 16, 2006 8:25 pm

tomperson wrote:

black

100gb hd
2gbram

yehah!!!

approx £1350

How much man?

robtronik

Post by robtronik » Tue May 16, 2006 8:34 pm

bigbadotis wrote:dude, one of those little dots next to the iSight *has* to be a microphone. I know it's not in the tech specs, but what's the point of providing an iSight for videoconferencing if you don't include a cheapo mic.

actually, taking a closer look at the specs, I think the mic is included as part of the iSight. That's why it's not listed in the audio specs.

Look at this picture:

http://www.apple.com/macbook/isight.html

the dot to the left is the mic.
its not. Its the LED light to let you know that the camera is on (or off if it isn't lit).

rob.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Tue May 16, 2006 8:55 pm

robtronik wrote:not. Its the LED light to let you know that the camera is on (or off if it isn't lit).
Then, how in the world are you gonna produce those voyeur cameras???? heheheheheits

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue May 16, 2006 9:09 pm

It has a mic. Its located in the speaker grill on the MBPs, so I would bet its the hole next to the camera. The one on the left.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

4onthfloor

Post by 4onthfloor » Tue May 16, 2006 9:15 pm

Can anyone tell me how crucial a 7200 RPM HD would be for running Live 5.2, seeing as it doesn't look like you can upgrade past the 120 5400 RPM on the 13.3?