Robert Henke Granulator

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
glitchrock-buddha

Re: Robert Henke Granulator

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:46 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:What's the CPU hit with this puppy?
Check a few pages back for CPU hit description on my MacBook pro.
Professional Shark Jumper.

stellan0r

Post by stellan0r » Tue Apr 05, 2011 3:11 pm

Hey Robert, thank you for the Granulator!

But where can I find the "additional GranulatorInput device"? :)
15" MBP C2D 2.5 GHz, 6 GB RAM
RME FireFace 400, Genelec 8020, UAD-2, Access Virus TI2 KB
Akai & Korg Toys, iPad TouchOSC/Griid/TouchAble, The Missing Link
Live 8 Suite, M4L

33tetragammon

Post by 33tetragammon » Tue Apr 05, 2011 4:31 pm

stellan0r wrote:Hey Robert, thank you for the Granulator!

But where can I find the "additional GranulatorInput device"? :)
Library>Max Audio Effect>Granulator by Monolake.
it's called ml.Granulator Input.

you know,there is a lesson about Granulator(and the new MFL devices) in Live's help view.

glennv

Post by glennv » Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:42 pm

Thank Robert
Wonderfull toy
Just bought M4L only for this and worth it. Best investment in years only topped by my cwejman modular :-)

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:18 pm

glennv wrote:Thank Robert
Wonderfull toy
Just bought M4L only for this and worth it. Best investment in years only topped by my cwejman modular :-)
wait till glennv sees the API tools ...

UncleAge

Post by UncleAge » Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:38 am

I don't have M4L so I was hoping that one of you might fill me in... It seems as though Henke's Granulator is a lot like Granite from NewSonicArts http://www.newsonicarts.com/index.html

Do any of you have both? If so could you elaborate on some of the differences?

stellan0r

Post by stellan0r » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:36 pm

33tetragammon wrote:Library>Max Audio Effect>Granulator by Monolake.
it's called ml.Granulator Input.

you know,there is a lesson about Granulator(and the new MFL devices) in Live's help view.

thanks, did not see that one ;)
15" MBP C2D 2.5 GHz, 6 GB RAM
RME FireFace 400, Genelec 8020, UAD-2, Access Virus TI2 KB
Akai & Korg Toys, iPad TouchOSC/Griid/TouchAble, The Missing Link
Live 8 Suite, M4L

Capitan Mission
Location: a llitle Brazilian beach, Buenos Aires or Patagonia Argentina

Post by Capitan Mission » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:17 pm

henke wrote:okay, i have to admit it took a while. but ....
have fun!

Robert
Thank you Robert!
This device comes in the right moment for me, I started to read about granular synthesis, microsound, Curtis Roads work, and making sounds with pure data patches.
Its nice to see free releases of great tools, I like that of the patching (and free software of course) world, not only for the money, but because its builds a great community and encourage learning.
I didn't tried it yet, but the video looks awesome. I need Max 5.1.8 or with the 5.1 it will work?
Live! exploring sound space, taking inspiration from everithing. folk abstract pop classical

glennv

Post by glennv » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:28 pm

andrewbrewer wrote:
wait till glennv sees the API tools ...
You make me very curious now ... :roll:
Please tell me

My brain is overloading with new ideas , but still room for much more

Jesus Christ

Post by Jesus Christ » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:46 pm

UncleAge wrote:I don't have M4L so I was hoping that one of you might fill me in... It seems as though Henke's Granulator is a lot like Granite from NewSonicArts http://www.newsonicarts.com/index.html

Ya looks like he was "inspired" by Granite

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 9:57 pm

Glennv, in the effects presets there is a max for live folder and buried somewhere in that folder is an API tools folder. This is filled with max patches that offer all sorts of ways to control virtually ANY parameter in live. Well, there's even more to it than that. I took a look at each device and instantly found uses for the parameter LFO and sequencer patches, but all of the devices there looked like I would eventually find a use. The devices have a lot of overlap with the types of things available at maxforlive.com, but something about this version included in the suite grabbed my attention right away and I was LFO-ing parameters like a mad man!

andrewbrewer

Post by andrewbrewer » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:10 pm

UncleAge wrote:I don't have M4L so I was hoping that one of you might fill me in... It seems as though Henke's Granulator is a lot like Granite from NewSonicArts http://www.newsonicarts.com/index.html

They are pretty different. What is nice about granite is it's built in parameter recorders, including grain scan. Basically you open the thing up and start twisting knobs around, and all of that movement gets recorded and played back to you. When the movements are recorded out of sync you get this constantly evolving sound. The granite grain-specific options are minimal, but granite gives you more sauce to put on the grains like compression, distortion, sample rate redux, reverb-- all recordable into that fun internal parameter sequencer. Granulator (so far at least) seems more focused on how to control the grains, with the added sauce of a filter.

Granulator sounds more harsh and "pointy" than granite (sorry at a loss for words). I feel like granulator could work better as an instrument, whereas granite really excels at free-running sound effects (though to be fair granite can be "played" like an instrument)

With multiple notes granite sounds like it arpegiates over the grains. Granulator plays what sounds like a chord

Jesus Christ

Post by Jesus Christ » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:14 pm

andrewbrewer wrote:(though to be fair granite can be "played" like an instrument)
To be fair playing it like an instrument is practically it's raison d'être

glennv

Post by glennv » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:44 pm

andrewbrewer wrote:Glennv, in the effects presets there is a max for live folder and buried somewhere in that folder is an API tools folder. This is filled with max patches that offer all sorts of ways to control virtually ANY parameter in live. Well, there's even more to it than that. I took a look at each device and instantly found uses for the parameter LFO and sequencer patches, but all of the devices there looked like I would eventually find a use. The devices have a lot of overlap with the types of things available at maxforlive.com, but something about this version included in the suite grabbed my attention right away and I was LFO-ing parameters like a mad man!
Found them. Thanks dude. Aaarrrrgghhhh there goes my little bit of free time. Recently also got an expert sleepers ES-3 with silent way plugins to control my analog gear and modular straight from Ableton. So now i can use these API tools to start driving these babies like a madman. Finaly the total and complete integration i had been always hoping for.

But lest not hijack this thread anymore. All honors back to Robert for giving this granulator away for free ! True spirit of someone who just loves to create and share. Very rare these days where every dickhead (excuse the french) that can write 2 lines of code that nobody realy needs, tries to make money on the apps store.

ThomasHelzle

Post by ThomasHelzle » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:50 pm

I know Granite better than Granulator, but IMO Granite sounds smoother and more "analog". It's the first granular Synth/Effect I really like, since most of the time granulars sound too digital/harsh for my taste.
The sound difference may be biased by the examples though, Robert Henke likes it digital and "sharp".

I find Granite easier to use, I was up and running in minutes, the examples are brilliant and easy to build upon. It's a really clever tool.

Granulator seems good for those little "detail" sounds (Example 07) that are great to give a piece some background life of it's own, but it's interface isn't as self explaining (at least to me).

Granulator will not make me buy MfL (I just use the demo ATM), but if I had it already, I'd be happy to use it :-)

BTW: You can play chords with Granite too: set "Wrap" to the number of voices you want.

Cheers,

Thomas