There will never be another legacy artist

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Johnisfaster

Re: There will never be another legacy artist

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:14 pm

Question: How stupid do you have to be to assume that the way it is now is the way it will always be?

Answer: Very stupid.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Big V

Post by Big V » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:17 pm

beats me wrote:Given today's music industry and fan's short attention span, name one artist, band, or DJ that came out in the last 5 years that will still be packing arenas 30 years from now.
I hope Gogol Bordello cause they're a fairly superb live band!

[!!! are as well unbelievable good on stage!]
jazz is a woman's tongue in your mouth
cool, licking you slowly, revolving around
inside your cheeks.
letting you know who's come to visit.

pulsoc

Post by pulsoc » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:18 pm

beats me wrote:Given today's music industry and fan's short attention span, name one artist, band, or DJ that came out in the last 5 years that will still be packing arenas 30 years from now.
I love how 2 or 3 posts actually attempted to answer the question, 30% didn't even read the full question (talk about lack of attention spans!), and the rest just love to hear themselves expound. Hijack on!

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:19 pm

nuxnamon wrote:I often see people criticize other people when they themselves don't really even compare to who they are putting down..
Talent isn't a prerequisite for a valid opinion.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

nuxnamon

Post by nuxnamon » Thu Nov 19, 2009 8:37 pm

LoopStationZebra wrote:
nuxnamon wrote: who am I to put down Dj's like Hawtin, Tiesto, etc..

YOU ARE NUXNAMON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

nuxnamon wrote: but I still have to respect what they do..

No. You don't.
yeah, i probably don't..
but I do have to respect you LSZebra.. (bows to the great taint) :D

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:19 pm

OK, I'm going to have a bit of a laugh at myself.

I haven't listened to music on the radio, terrestrial or satellite, in probably a good 5 years. But yet I am constantly checking out new music whether it's through streaming internet stations, recommendations from friends or sites, niche sites like Beat Port, or Wal-mart like sites like itunes. I can still find out what's commercially hot by the chart systems. I found out about Lady Gaga from a live performance she did on TV. Recently I've bought some great songs after researching what was used in certain car commercials.

So when people mention radio I think what is that? Who the fuck listens to the radio anymore? It's like saying MTV is the best source for music videos or you have a monochrome monitor attached to your computer because you can't handle millions of colors. I don't listen to radio because I don't have to and I guess on some level I was discounting that.

But you still can't say things haven't changed overall and there are countless "internet sensation" music success stories.

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:28 pm

beats me wrote:So when people mention radio I think what is that? Who the fuck listens to the radio anymore?
Every day... Radio Eins in Berlin, FM4 in Bavaria. When I've been on business trips in the states I was horrified by the appalling stuff on the radio stations and the lack of variety - ok, this is just commuting in California and Texas, but still...

Here's a sample from Radio Eins - it's in German, but you can name-check the artists easily... http://www.radioeins.de/programm/sendun ... index.html - and this is part of regular programming...

beats me

Post by beats me » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:35 pm

8O wrote:
beats me wrote:So when people mention radio I think what is that? Who the fuck listens to the radio anymore?
Every day... Radio Eins in Berlin, FM4 in Bavaria. When I've been on business trips in the states I was horrified by the appalling stuff on the radio stations and the lack of variety - ok, this is just commuting in California and Texas, but still...

Here's a sample from Radio Eins - it's in German, but you can name-check the artists easily... http://www.radioeins.de/programm/sendun ... index.html - and this is part of regular programming...
I've heard from other people that California is one of the worst places for radio stations, and although I haven't been listening, there has been a lot of stations that changed their format from something somewhat unique to something there's already a bunch of. SoCal is all Pop and Ranchero stations.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 19, 2009 9:53 pm

beats me wrote:SoCal is all Pop and Ranchero stations.
been down there lately? KROQ is CBS owned and plays good alternative rock, there are a few others I'm spacing on, RadioX is one but I can't find it, I'm thinking of something else. I'd say their radio is better than ours, at least when we drive through there I can find a few stations to listen to, enough for me to give props in this thread. maybe I'm wrong.

in SF I just listen to Live 105, KFOG, NPR and The Bone, none are Clear Channel but that's rare. I listen to the radio when I want to hear something that's not on my iPhone, or on my short commute when it's not worth plugging in the mp3 player.

I'd say your way of listening is probably more like what 'dem damn kids' do today, but I wouldn't know.

one of you old fucks go ask your kids. ;) :lol:

FWIW I heard of Lady GaGa after the wife asked me about her, she was exposed to teh suck through a Clear Channel station she listens to when she runs. I told her to not do that, she won't listen and admits cheeseball music is more fun to listen to.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:00 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I heard of Lady GaGa after the wife asked me about her, she was exposed to teh suck through a Clear Channel station she listens to when she runs.
Thats the sad thing about the musical climate these days, people are listening to stuff they don't even like just because it's "fun". How bout challenging? when was the last time you heard someone say "I enjoy listening to this on the radio because it makes me think"?

nope, "fun" rules.

I f*ing hate Lady Gaga so much.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:19 pm

Johnisfaster wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:I heard of Lady GaGa after the wife asked me about her, she was exposed to teh suck through a Clear Channel station she listens to when she runs.
Thats the sad thing about the musical climate these days, people are listening to stuff they don't even like just because it's "fun". How bout challenging? when was the last time you heard someone say "I enjoy listening to this on the radio because it makes me think"?

nope, "fun" rules.

I f*ing hate Lady Gaga so much.
you'd have to take up an exercising hobby to understand. we laugh about it, she really likes "jock rock" when she runs, stuff like Kid Rock, stuff she'd NEVER even consider listening to but when you're running a half marathon it's over 2 hours of pounding the pavement you need something to keep you moving.

so, blame people that exercise? I think not.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

8O

Post by 8O » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:23 pm

Tone Deft wrote:you'd have to take up an exercising hobby to understand. we laugh about it, she really likes "jock rock" when she runs, stuff like Kid Rock, stuff she'd NEVER even consider listening to but when you're running a half marathon it's over 2 hours of pounding the pavement you need something to keep you moving.

This is what you want: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/9539-4533/

ze2be

Post by ze2be » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:25 pm

Joss Stone perhaps?
Joss Stone (born Jocelyn Eve Stoker[2] on 11 April 1987) is an English soul and R&B singer–songwriter and actress. Stone emerged to fame in late 2003 with her multi-platinum debut album
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joss_stone

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:28 pm

8O wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:you'd have to take up an exercising hobby to understand. we laugh about it, she really likes "jock rock" when she runs, stuff like Kid Rock, stuff she'd NEVER even consider listening to but when you're running a half marathon it's over 2 hours of pounding the pavement you need something to keep you moving.

This is what you want: http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/9539-4533/
8O :lol:

I'll pass it along. listening now, might need another Red Bull to keep up.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

silveriofunk

Post by silveriofunk » Thu Nov 19, 2009 10:34 pm

there is a lot of great music being written at the moment... Them crooked vultures released a massive album last week (ok, dave grohl, josh homme and john paul jones, still great album)

music in general has changed for the better i think

all i want is quality music and if all you got is one great album, then so be it... some of us will find that album

more opportunities for the rest of musicians out there...