Ableton, Serato & Cycling!!!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:38 am

Its a conspiracy to get the forum on topic again!

tone how does the TT1 compare to the 1200, would you actually sell the 1200 first??
(or did i read that wrong)
i tried to mix on a newmark once...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:55 am

doc holiday wrote:Its a conspiracy to get the forum on topic again!
makes sense!!!!

the 1200 is great to own if you play out. it's the most common deck out there, very basic, if you get used to something 'fancy' and hit a club with a plain ol' 1200, you can get out of your element. I have one because it was my first deck and found one for $150. I don't play out, ever.

the TTX is amazing.
the TTX spins up at least as fast as the 1200, plus it has
- adjustable spinup speed
- adjustable spindown speed
- instant reverse
- pitch lock
- the readout can rotate to read if you're in battle or standard mode
- bpm counter (don't use it)
- line out
- phono out
- spdif out
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:07 am

I've owned six different 1200's over the last 14 years.

it's what i know.

i do like the pitch adjustment display on those, it really helps ride the pitch. the pitch fader feels different i wrecked alot when i tried numarks, but paying attention to that display helped me with the awkward feel.

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:12 am

dom wrote:
Tone Deft wrote:c'mon dom, we know you know, what's up???
tone, old boy, you know it's easier to go clubbing with the pope than getting an answer to this question from me ;-)

i could only tell you that since midi was added in live4 i wasn't as excited about all the things to come...
but you don't want that.
you've told me more than I need to know, it's clear what the new feature set will be... the next wave in music.
a modular cowbell vocoder donk synthesis engine, powered by Live and msp, and configured with max.
Tone Deft wrote: anyone know any hard hitting pipe carrying motherfuckers in the NYC area that wanna make some scratch?
get a bunch of those, i'm a tall bastard ;)

dom
"Tall guys fight till they're burger."
I'll make sure they're Ableton users with lots of bugs, I might not even have to pay them. we'll dump you in the East River with Zicarelli's card in your pocket.
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:32 am

Tone Deft wrote:
doc holiday wrote:Its a conspiracy to get the forum on topic again!
makes sense!!!!

the 1200 is great to own if you play out. it's the most common deck out there, very basic, if you get used to something 'fancy' and hit a club with a plain ol' 1200, you can get out of your element. I have one because it was my first deck and found one for $150. I don't play out, ever.

the TTX is amazing.
the TTX spins up at least as fast as the 1200, plus it has
- adjustable spinup speed
- adjustable spindown speed
- instant reverse
- pitch lock
- the readout can rotate to read if you're in battle or standard mode
- bpm counter (don't use it)
- line out
- phono out
- spdif out
Now it comes with USB out too. It's a cool deck, a lot of cool features. A bit ugly for my tastes. The Vestax PDX2000 has a faster instant reverse. There are a few really cool decks out there, but when it came time to get a couple for myself I went with used 1200's from Craigslist. I'm happy with them, but the more I got to learn about turntables, the more I discovered the imperfections of my own decks.

One great thing about this partnership is that it gives us forum rats license to gab on and on forever about record players and vinyl. FOREVER. :twisted:

If I were to get new turntables I'd get a pair of PDX-3000MIX:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/newsLe ... Player.jsp

Baron von Case

Post by Baron von Case » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:43 am

Yay. More good news for DJs. :roll:

Which begs the question, why do I use Live if it's so DJ oriented? Oh yes, because I can't afford a Mac at this point and my only affordable alternative is SONAR. :?

Lo-Fi Massahkah

Post by Lo-Fi Massahkah » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:51 am

Not so thrilled.

Hoping that in the end it'll inspire me and be of value, though. :?

.m

six_o_clock_crow
Location: Portsmouth: small town near Havant & Waterlooville, UK

Post by six_o_clock_crow » Sat Oct 18, 2008 8:08 am

Baron von Case wrote:Yay. More good news for DJs. :roll:

Which begs the question, why do I use Live if it's so DJ oriented? Oh yes, because I can't afford a Mac at this point and my only affordable alternative is SONAR. :?
I have Sonar too and haven't touched it since upgrading to Live. I agree with the point about more good news for DJ's though.

Like I said before, I am happy for those that will get some use out of this - when it happens - but I wish Ableton could give us some more non-DJ features for messing with audio loops.

jonny72

Post by jonny72 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:37 am

dom wrote:
jonny72 wrote:
dom wrote: interesting, how does announcing something in the future help the sales of the current version?
wouldn't the opposite be true, waiting for the things to come instead of spending money now?

dom
Well, it can stop people from switching to another DAW and could encourage new users (tempted by the suggestion of what the Cycling and Serato deals could bring).
i get this point. but if ableton would base its business on such stunts it wouldn't have survived till now. maybe it helps a bit that those two deals are not dealing with stuff being present in other daws yet.
Not sure I suggested it was a stunt or a deliberate vaporware plan by Ableton, but if I did then that isn't what I meant. I'm just pointing out that it looks bad announcing another partnership when nothing has come of the last one in a very long time.

I'm sure Cycling have lost some potential sales as a result of the partnership being announced. I'd been giving some serious thought to buying Max/MSP but am now waiting to see what happens with Live and other people have said the same thing.

Again, I'm not saying this was some kind of evil master plan on the part of Ableton but making announcements and not delivering promptly has knock on effects.

Hidden Driveways

Post by Hidden Driveways » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:02 pm

I think there has been an incentive added for anyone considering taking the plunge with max/msp. The fact that it's taken a long time to come about just proves that this is done with great care.

Now there is an incentive for an Ablenerd to get into Scratch Live. Especially if your name is Forge.

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:28 am

Baron von Case wrote:Yay. More good news for DJs. :roll:

I think maybe you just lack imagination or something. This must be very rough for you, this good news for DJ's.

Just curious, what was the last good news for DJ's?

Personally I'd rather see anything that puts the focus of Live more on being a Live performance tool over it being a Cubase or a Logic.

Personally I don't DJ with Live, but last I checked DJing was performed live, like out in a club with people there dancing or sulking or stroking each others goatees or whatever...

twiddling with track groups and submixes micro editing midi automation, well, more like you and your cat alone in the studio or something, not as exciting live.

smutek

Post by smutek » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:51 am

dom wrote: i could only tell you that since midi was added in live4 i wasn't as excited about all the things to come...
That really is very encouraging.

djadonis206

Post by djadonis206 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:28 am

Patch wrote:Drag n' drop Live clips onto a Turntable to scratch 'em? Control Lives master tempo with control vinyl? Who knows...
WOW

This is like the THE THING i've been waiting for

So imagine

Cue up a track in live with control vinyl

it's rocking

cue up another track on deck two - mix...lock 'em in

scratch over those two, loop the scratch or just just the drums

lock that into the other 2 tracks

cue up another track with control vinyl, double beat that one over your three tracks

boom boom boom boom boom boom boom boom

drop that track, mix out of track track two, fire off a filter on track one and apply some dotted delays on track three while bringing in the 4th track - triggered up with control vinyl

Oh please make this a reality

not to mention recording loops (better than torq I hope - yet their latest major update is still yet to be released)

this is great news - I really don't make music anymore (cause I don't have time and it's boring), I just mix beats, if I can mix beats with my decks inside Live I'd be so happy

make it a reality, I know you guys can do it

awesome

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: 8)
Ableton | Elektron

Music

j2j

Post by j2j » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:55 am

smutek wrote:stroking each others goatees or whatever...

Why do I picture you spinning really hard house?

:D
too many lasers...

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:21 am

djadonis206 wrote:this is great news - I really don't make music anymore (cause I don't have time and it's boring), I just mix beats, if I can mix beats with my decks inside Live I'd be so happy
:? you made same really good jams back in the day, back when my post count was a number I could count to, twice!
In my life
Why do I smile
-Moz