My short romance with a macbook pro

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
jamester

Post by jamester » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:13 pm

With that $1200 you can buy a dedicated PC to go onto the Ableton forum with.

I hear ya, but actually I've contemplated going the opposite route: The one advantage OSX still clearly has over XP is internet security/virus risk. I'd rather keep the DAW on XP, and get a little Macbook for intenet/coffee shops/travel. Unfortunately, this is the more expensive solution...
Purrrfect Audio PC by Jim Roseberry
Edirol UA-1000, Korg PadKontrol, Dynaudio BM 5A's
REAPER, Live, Sound Forge

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:16 pm

jamester wrote:
With that $1200 you can buy a dedicated PC to go onto the Ableton forum with.

I hear ya, but actually I've contemplated going the opposite route: The one advantage OSX still clearly has over XP is internet security/virus risk. I'd rather keep the DAW on XP, and get a little Macbook for intenet/coffee shops/travel. Unfortunately, this is the more expensive solution...
:D wacky wacky world, eh?

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Aug 01, 2006 5:18 pm

Its a pity you had so much trouble. I am on my 5th Mac and have had VERy few issues... my iBook a few years ago had the logicboard replaced twice, but in a very timely manner and without a penny out of my pocket.

And I would call myself a power user (I pay my bills exclusively with my Mac).

After Adobe gets the UB out, I will be jumping Intel...

BTW, had a PC once and was just bored with it. It worked well enough, but the machine itself and the OS was uninspiring.

I would definitely give it a shot at a later date, if I were you. The Intels are about 80% there.

Also, look into Applecare next go-around. It would have covered all the defects and most likely would have covererd the thermal putty reapply that would have remedied the heat issue...

Peace.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

kovacs

Re: wow..

Post by kovacs » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:16 pm

veggieryan wrote:I think its just too many new apps mixing with old ones.. some in rosetta..some native.. it will take time to get it all sorted out...
...and this never occurred to you before buying it, apparently. Exactly how long did you have your machine so you could run 40 apps simultaneously and have your machine crash?

I have used a Mac for about 10 years and can honestly say a) I am a power user and b) I don't own 40 apps.

I wish topics like this were moved to some sort of off-topic forum. They have absolutely nothing to do with making music with Ableton Live.
2011 MacBook Pro 13" 10.9 // Live 9 Suite // Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette

glitchrock-buddha

Post by glitchrock-buddha » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:45 pm

kovacs wrote: I wish topics like this were moved to some sort of off-topic forum. They have absolutely nothing to do with making music with Ableton Live.
I am extremely happy with my macbook, and it's too bad the original poster didn't give it another chance, but the above quote is pure B.S. Macbooks have been discussed over and over here. You can't just say the negative experiences should be cast off and lets all just praise them all the time.

Maybe it was a lemon, and the forum makes him realize that, and if it's user error, maybe the forum helps point it out. Doesn't hurt to post the problems.
Professional Shark Jumper.

jamesp

Post by jamesp » Tue Aug 01, 2006 7:47 pm

kovacs wrote:I wish topics like this were moved to some sort of off-topic forum. They have absolutely nothing to do with making music with Ableton Live.
That's how I felt about all of the "I <heart> my new macbook" threads.

veggieryan

okay

Post by veggieryan » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:29 pm

http://www.appledefects.com/wiki/index. ... acBook_Pro
that is what I am refering to all nicely summed up in a wiki. I want to point out that the electrical shocking was the biggest concern for me. We are electrical beings, our bodies are conductors, so having a computer shocking me all day is NOT COOL with me. I did use my HUM-x by ebtech(a magical and highly recomended 50 dollar piece of hardware) to reduce this somewhat but could never get it to go away.. again.. very scary and not good.

also, usually i have about 33 apps open to be exact. my browser, flock, which is very cool BTW usually has about 100 open tabs which are like windows. thats the way I use the internet... lots of tabs for maximum information...so it easily uses the resources of 10 smaller apps.. which is why i said 40. I am a web developer and graphic designer as well as a musician and I like to be able to switch back and forth alot. I am always pushing the hardware to the max and that seemed to get me alot of kernel panics in the early intel-mac OSX. so SOME people DO need to run alot of apps.. its not THAT unusual...

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:08 pm

Yowza! 8O 8O 8O

Glad I didn't jump at the 1st gen...Might wait a bit on V2 as well.

What I am REALLY hoping for is a new form factor on the new Mernom chip rigs...
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

Hardtoe

Post by Hardtoe » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:09 am

Yo,

I had my new Macbook for about 2 days when it started turning off randomly (instant black screen, no shutdown) and not booting up (lots of chimes, reset pmu & p-ram to start after maybe 15 tries).....my logic board was screwed - judging by apples own forum, alot of people suffered this problem - lucky for me my local apple repair store (in Canada they do it in town) was able to replace the logic board quickly and my computer has been perfect since - but apple definately knew about this issue and was very good about fixing it ASAP....Now that it is fixed, it is the best computer I have ever owned and it a whole different league than my old iBook - there have been some problems, but this machines a great ride-I don't think the ones you would buy now would still have the problems that the early buyers endured! It's hard to believe you use 33 apps at once, but this is a serious demand for any computer....anyway, I think you just had a lemon - bad luck...

Cheers,

Orion

robtronik

Re: am I?

Post by robtronik » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:16 am

veggieryan wrote:am I a troll for trying to save honest people from wasting their money?

people.. the second revision of macbooks should be coming out soon.. at the very least.. hold your horses until the issues are fixed.

sheesh!
I'm running a macbook pro. it's kicking ass. Not sure why you had your problems.. maybe you are cursed.

rob.

Machinesworking

Re: am I?

Post by Machinesworking » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:32 am

kabuki wrote:MW, it just seems that you have a personal issue with the original poster... why take it all so personally? Why care if he doesn't like how Live works on his tablet. I would suggest that he get a Mac ( :wink: ) but I don't think he would be too into hearing it.
Actually I don't take anything on the internet personally, it's just relaxation to me. Debate, argument, agreement etc. it's just conversation....
In fact I take things so light about this, that I don't have a problem with calling people trolls when they are acting like one, and yes, I'm exactly like that in real life as well.
I see you taking a side for whatever reason, and not looking at the bigger picture here. I don't see any rational thinking in veggieryans critical evaluation of the state of macbnooks, I see a lot of conclusions jumped to, and a lot of serious strange behavior. I'm not one to avoid pointing that out. He did no research when he made a switch to a new platform, and wondered why he had problems, then he lists every problem that has cropped up as being present in his macbook....
Sure it's possible it happened to him, yet he once again buys a laptop, PC this time, and doesn't make sure it's a good combination with the program who's designers are hosting the forum we are writing on... Then he proceeds to bash at Ableton......
What else do you need? What further proof does there need to be that it's attention whoring, and ignorance more than bad luck?
Maybe you're right, my tolerance for people who expect that the world is perfect, and that they don't have to take any responsibility for their bad choices isn't what it should be?
Just remember Veggieryan, 'Fool me once, shame on — shame on you. Fool me — you can't get fooled again' :wink:

warpus

Post by warpus » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:09 pm

Waves has just released their entire line of plugins as universal binaries. Yep, my Mac Book Pro just got even more useless. I don't see how anyone can actually make any music on these crap machines. It must take talent or something.