New Apple MacBook out

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
forgie

Post by forgie » Tue May 16, 2006 5:30 pm

snowtires wrote:
guatamaham wrote:
snowtires wrote:not to mention that whole 'voiding the warranty' thing
installing your own ram chip doesn't void the warranty. the manual even tells you how to do it.
reeeaaaally. how very interesting. in that case, why would anyone buy apple's memory upgrade?
Because half of Apple's customers don't know that you can install it yourself, or if they do they are scared to do it themselves. It's just for suckers really.

mcconaghy

Post by mcconaghy » Tue May 16, 2006 5:32 pm

snowtires wrote:
guatamaham wrote:
snowtires wrote:not to mention that whole 'voiding the warranty' thing
installing your own ram chip doesn't void the warranty. the manual even tells you how to do it.
reeeaaaally. how very interesting. in that case, why would anyone buy apple's memory upgrade?
Convenience. Too many people are still too scared of their computers to carry out a simple mod like increasing memory, and will gladly pay the premium to max out the sucka.

robin

Post by robin » Tue May 16, 2006 5:34 pm

mcconaghy wrote:
Convenience. Too many people are still too scared of their computers to carry out a simple mod like increasing memory, and will gladly pay the premium to max out the sucka.
That and the upgrade to 1GB (2x512) is about £60 on the apple site. That seems quite reasonable if you're gonna stick at that and not upgrade top 2GB later.

scientist

Post by scientist » Tue May 16, 2006 6:11 pm

so does anyone know how live will react to the integrated graphics ram? my 12" powerbook sees some serious video slowdowns when i'm pushing the processor, and the thought of it being an even worse problem with the new laptops makes me worried...

Kodama

Post by Kodama » Tue May 16, 2006 6:13 pm

That's not anything whatsoever to do with your graphics card.

It's CPU overload.

You will really want a Duo Core!
GO VEGAN!!! - Macbook Air, Bass Station II, Some Korg shit, Live Suite, U-He, Audio Damage, Microtonic, Ohmicide, more soft stuffs, awesome controllers, euro rack modular synth,an awesome cat.

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Tue May 16, 2006 6:17 pm

gomi wrote:
tomperson wrote:What i don't like is that the discs are rather small (60 and 80) and it comes with little memory. I wonder, can these beasts be upgraded with normal memory?
what 1GB of 667 DDR2 Ram is not good enough for you?
I think they come with 512 (2x256) by default, did I read the wrong specifications?
iterate wrote: ORDERED!

white 2.0 GHz. Upgraded the hard drive to 80gb (I have an iMac at home that I'll have all my mp3s on), didn't upgrade the RAM. Ordered two 1 GB sticks from DealRAM for $180 instead of paying Apple's $500 for 2GB.

Will post impressions once she arrives.
How much did it cost in the end with the bigger hard drive and 1gb extra ram?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

LOFA

Post by LOFA » Tue May 16, 2006 6:43 pm

8O

I wonder if I can make a deal with my GF to get this and resell it to her real cheap when the meroms come out....... 8O

4onthfloor

Post by 4onthfloor » Tue May 16, 2006 6:53 pm

anyone heard whether the keyboard is backlit on these puppies?

the unknown wanderer

Post by the unknown wanderer » Tue May 16, 2006 6:58 pm

Iv took the plunge and orded one of the little beasts

black

100gb hd
2gbram

yehah!!!

im still keeping my p4 3.0mhz 1gb ram also but getting rid of my old crappy unreliable 1.1gig celeron laptop

out with the old in with the sexy new

chris vine

Post by chris vine » Tue May 16, 2006 7:06 pm

Don't want to wind the macheads up, but where can I get a PC laptop that has all those nice macbook/powerbook hardware attributes....sexy case, backlit keys etc but still runs windoze? I have too many plugs/apps that are PC.

I worked with a G4 Powerbook last year and liked everything about it except the OS........ :oops:

:wink:

kabuki

Post by kabuki » Tue May 16, 2006 7:07 pm

chris vine wrote:Don't want to wind the macheads up, but where can I get a PC laptop that has all those nice macbook/powerbook hardware attributes....sexy case, backlit keys etc but still runs windoze? I have too many plugs/apps that are PC.

I worked with a G4 Powerbook last year and liked everything about it except the OS........ :oops:

apple.com

install Windows on it.
15" PB 2.5 Ghz, 4 Gig RAM, 750 GB HD, Live 9 still no cue points or program change messages?!?. Doesn't do shit.

snowtires

Post by snowtires » Tue May 16, 2006 7:08 pm

chris vine wrote:Don't want to wind the macheads up, but where can I get a PC laptop that has all those nice macbook/powerbook hardware attributes....sexy case, backlit keys etc but still runs windoze? I have too many plugs/apps that are PC.

macbooks run windows

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Tue May 16, 2006 7:09 pm

kabuki wrote:

apple.com

install Windows on it.
yeah man, BootCamp! Chris, which rock have you been hiding under?
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

kenn michael

Post by kenn michael » Tue May 16, 2006 7:09 pm

damn, perfectly said kabuki!

kenn michael

Post by kenn michael » Tue May 16, 2006 7:12 pm

don't have to worry about the integrated graphics on these new machines in terms of Live performance...

i run Live on my duo mac mini with a 24" Dell display, and it runs beautifully.