Tweaking Live

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tommy Genes

Post by Tommy Genes » Fri Oct 15, 2004 1:21 pm

sweetjesus wrote:If enough of you say that you would like this, I could write a little program that does this and provide you with a config menu so you can choose the path for your Live software since it changes every version.
And then...
sweetjesus wrote:can everyone who will want this app give me their platform, so i can target the registry keys to the os used by the majority of people.
Deifinitely count me as one who would use it on XP Pro.

-- T. G. --

dave dominey

Post by dave dominey » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:08 pm

sweetjesus wrote:
dave dominey wrote:cool stuff
id use this little app in win2k

cheers
dave
Win2k Pro or advanced server?
pro

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:04 pm

Okay everyone,
I've started work on this small utility. I will eventually release it under GPL (open source), so as to ensure that others can continue making modifications for a smoother live experience.

I have two ways I can go about making this program, a lot will depend on how much registry keys differ throughout different versions of windows.

I'd like to start off by asking for 2 people to alpha test this for me in the coming days. Please volunteer if you are someone who is relatively tech savvy (coding proficient or a systems administrator). This is because the utility makes some very small changes, but if there is a small problem in the code and it does not restore the old windows shell, you may not know how to fix it otherwise and I would hate to piss any fellow abletonians off.

Also if you want to alpha test, make sure that you aren't about to use your computer in a mission critical situation as once again, i'd hate to mess up somebody's gig....

So if you're keen, leave me a PM.

Tommy Genes

Post by Tommy Genes » Wed Oct 20, 2004 12:04 pm

sweetjesus wrote:I'd like to start off by asking for 2 people to alpha test this for me in the coming days. Please volunteer if you are someone who is relatively tech savvy (coding proficient or a systems administrator).
Have you found your alpha testers yet? I'd hate to see the project falter because you haven't. I don't necessarily have coding skills, although I still consider myself tech savyv, but I might still be willing to alpha test with proper hard drive and registry backups.

-- T. G. --

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Wed Oct 20, 2004 1:47 pm

Question... when you're done with your session, how do you close your computer if you dont have any menu ? :?

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Oct 20, 2004 4:13 pm

Hervé wrote:Question... when you're done with your session, how do you close your computer if you dont have any menu ? :?
Two ways,

ctrl + shift + escape brings up the task manager and from there you can shut down/restart etc . . .

otherwise, computers now do a proper shut down if u just hit the power buttons quickly.

I am working on an option in the app for making the registry keys swap back to normal just after bootup so that when you restart, you will get your old windows explorer shell back.

epilacs

Post by epilacs » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:19 pm

two things...

first, couldnt the same effect (on win) basically be achieved
via the task manager by ending the explorer process?
i have been using this method for a while now on xp home
with no issues.

second, the registry info /shell commands might be easy to find
on a site that deals with windows replacement shells, such as
black box, etc..
i have seen some apps on sites like http://www.virtualplastic.net
and http://shellcity.net that allow for easy
shell switching and such.

sweetjesus

Post by sweetjesus » Wed Oct 20, 2004 5:35 pm

epilacs wrote:two things...

first, couldnt the same effect (on win) basically be achieved
via the task manager by ending the explorer process?
i have been using this method for a while now on xp home
with no issues.

second, the registry info /shell commands might be easy to find
on a site that deals with windows replacement shells, such as
black box, etc..
i have seen some apps on sites like http://www.virtualplastic.net
and http://shellcity.net that allow for easy
shell switching and such.
You are right about killing explorer using task manager. the only upside i REALLY see is the fact that in the event of a crash, you can reboot straight into live a lot quicker.

epilacs

Post by epilacs » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:40 pm

hmm i do know that there is a registry tweak that
allows automatic reload of explorer on crash.
this can also be set to reload windows completely.

maybe this feature could be included in a swithching utility,
such that if ableton is being utilized as shell, a program crash
can result in ableton being automatically reloaded.

fzero

Re: Tweaking Live

Post by fzero » Thu Oct 21, 2004 2:17 am

dirtybomb wrote:When I use Live in a live environment, I run it as a 'Custom user interface' or 'shell' in Windows XP Professional. Basically what this is if you aren't familiar with it, is replacing Explorer with Live as a shell. This means there is no desktop environment, no taskbar, no start menu, no applets running, etc.

There are many advantages to this when using Live - improved stability, free memory, improved performance, etc. The disadvantage is you lose a practical way to multi-task. (But who needs multi-tasking when you only need to run Live live?)
:idea: Isn't it possible to alter the group policy for one user and leave the other with the standard shell? Windows XP is multi-user, and this setting seems to be user-dependent.

This way, Windows would ask you a login/password each time you boot and you could simply choose the right user for the right task. I'll try this here and come back to tell you guys if it works. 8)

Rx

Post by Rx » Fri Oct 22, 2004 2:25 am

this appeals to the utter geek in me. i'd like to try it out in XP Pro.
Arp Laszlo
arphaus.com

Dell 6000d: 2.0ghz Pentium 760 | 1gb DDR2 ram
Echo Indigo DJ | Korg microKONTROL | faded black t-shirt emblazoned with 'Detroit' in gothic type

Hervé

Post by Hervé » Fri Oct 22, 2004 9:29 am

Tooo bad, i'm on Osx :wink:

bleakbard

Re: Tweaking Live

Post by bleakbard » Wed Nov 16, 2005 9:50 pm

fzero wrote:
dirtybomb wrote:When I use Live in a live environment, I run it as a 'Custom user interface' or 'shell' in Windows XP Professional. Basically what this is if you aren't familiar with it, is replacing Explorer with Live as a shell. This means there is no desktop environment, no taskbar, no start menu, no applets running, etc.

There are many advantages to this when using Live - improved stability, free memory, improved performance, etc. The disadvantage is you lose a practical way to multi-task. (But who needs multi-tasking when you only need to run Live live?)
:idea: Isn't it possible to alter the group policy for one user and leave the other with the standard shell? Windows XP is multi-user, and this setting seems to be user-dependent.

This way, Windows would ask you a login/password each time you boot and you could simply choose the right user for the right task. I'll try this here and come back to tell you guys if it works. 8)
yes, it works nicely! had the same thought and just tried it out. have a windows shell username and an ableton shell one 8)

now to see what improvement there is in performance...thanks dirtybomb!
Last edited by bleakbard on Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lola

Post by lola » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:20 pm

Tested it, works brilliant, thanks!

Less glitches in Live also.

Brilliant tip~!

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:59 pm

hey dirtybomb!!!

thank you!!! starting direct from live5 my cpu went down from 30 to 23 % with the live5 performing test.

great!!!

8)

latitude d800 1.8 GHz centrinp