Live 7 - SLICER - Stale Bread - Review

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
EgAD

Post by EgAD » Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:04 pm

gaspode wrote:
longjohns wrote: Then on that chain you'd put a Sampler, with it's key zone mapped for 16 consecutive notes, ideally beginning on a C.

On the main drum rack you'd probably want to keep the 16 pads which correspond to this zone clear of other samples.

(But you could layer different sounds on top of each of the 16 pitches of the other sample, if you wanted to) ;)
I think I noticed on the video that you could drag pads/slices off of the drum slicer and then make them a different 'track'. As you said, not quite the same, but it probably works more or less as well. I'll have to give it a try and see how it feels when I get a chance to play with it.

Greg
thats just the thing to do to, and actualy thats more elegant than the mpc doing 16 levels or autochromatic on the 1000 via the jj os, because when you drag/copy that one pad out to it's own track you then I'm assuming have the same thing you would have if you had just loaded up a simpler/sampler and dropped a sample in it, no need to set perameters of anything and it's very quick to just drop and go. ... the one sample all up and down the keyboard

ableton are such sly bastards, the price for the upgrade minus the plugs is bewilderingly worth it. if the slicer and drummrack were sold by a third party co they would have charged $199 at least and that would have been good deal

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:25 am

EgAD wrote: when you drag/copy that one pad out to it's own track you then I'm assuming have the same thing you would have if you had just loaded up a simpler/sampler and dropped a sample in it, no need to set perameters of anything and it's very quick to just drop and go. ... the one sample all up and down the keyboard
That is not how it works. The dragged pad will be in it's own drum rack, mapped to the same single key it was before. So you'll have to take the extra step to modify the chain to accept 'all notes'

That will cover pitch, but I guess doing it with the other parameters will be more involved.

Oscar F

Post by Oscar F » Thu Oct 11, 2007 5:40 am

TITBAG wrote:i think its an outrage that the limit is 128. i regularly need 129 slices for the major works i am currently constructing with letitia dean. ableton MUST give me free upgrades for life, or £10k out of court settlement

You only need that many slices too prove your arse is more like a slot machine than a salami repository :lol: .
Somewhere between a rock and a hard place is actually nowhere.

TITBAG

Post by TITBAG » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:11 am

Oscar F wrote:
TITBAG wrote:i think its an outrage that the limit is 128. i regularly need 129 slices for the major works i am currently constructing with letitia dean. ableton MUST give me free upgrades for life, or £10k out of court settlement

You only need that many slices too prove your arse is more like a slot machine than a salami repository :lol: .
it's 'to' not 'too' and the rest of your sentence makes no sense

BarryFell

Post by BarryFell » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:22 pm

Poster wrote:
globalgoon wrote:is there any way of auto detecting the transients?
no.. but I assume that would be something they eventually will add..
That's not so good. In Guru it slices on the transients AND maps the slices to where it thinks they should appear on the arrangement grid. (ie kicks/snares/hats/persussion)

Great as well as you can then replace all the slices with your own hits and keep the pattern. :) Handy if you are too lazy to write your own drums hit by hit or just want a creative step up. There's also the randomise feature so you can remove/add random hits from any track in or all of the pattern which can be interesting. Plus the patterns can be exported as MIDI.

That's just 1 very cool feature of Guru. Another very interesting one is the per engine groove control (pretty much the same in function as Reason 4's new Groove Mixer) and something I know people here have been complaining about not having in Live7.

Anyway, that's Guru. We're talking about Live7's slicer. Maybe Guru has some features that Live8's slicer will have though. :)

EgAD

Post by EgAD » Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:31 pm

well if thats not how it works i guess thats a plus or minus depending on how you look at it, but for the dude asking about pitching samples like an mpc it doesn't even make sense to use the slicer/drumrack for that, just drop your sample in a sampler or a simpler and you're good to go, leave the slicer for samples that you want to slice.

thanks for the clarification longjohns

and about Guru, isn't the case that in Live you can slice by warpmarkers and then keep the midi file and replace the drums with whatever you want?

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:06 pm

So I just got my hands on the beta. Slicing is near perfect for me. It's missing transient detection, but messing around with a custom drum rack with filter and loop length macros makes me kind of forget that :D Slicing with warp markers will also be immensly useful for me. L7 FTW!

gp23

Post by gp23 » Sat Oct 20, 2007 4:17 pm

Yes, it is a nice implementation. I think it should have transient detection, and I'm not sure why this has been left out seeing as it is a part of basically every other slicer out there. But the amount of control over the slices once they've been made is excellent and slicing via warp markers works well.

ilia

Post by ilia » Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:47 pm

gp23 wrote:Yes, it is a nice implementation. I think it should have transient detection, and I'm not sure why this has been left out seeing as it is a part of basically every other slicer out there. But the amount of control over the slices once they've been made is excellent and slicing via warp markers works well.
+1 for transients. none of the stuff I want to chop is on the beat.

3phase

Post by 3phase » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:13 pm

what anybody would want with 256 slices? 128 are more than enough
mac book 2,16 ghz 4(3)gb ram, Os 10.62, fireface 400,

Actuel

Post by Actuel » Sat Oct 20, 2007 8:45 pm

ilia wrote: +1 for transients. none of the stuff I want to chop is on the beat.
just use the warp markers. it's a cinch and guarantee's an accuracy that transients don't give you anyway...there's always some adjustment, unless is robot's you're sampling.

cheers...give it go! :wink:

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Oct 20, 2007 10:24 pm

yes, transients would be nice.
but ... I find that using warp markers is actually just as quick in real world situations, especially if the loop is a little 'dirty'. With automatic detection some time is always taken cleaning up bogus transients

ilia

Post by ilia » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:40 pm

Angstrom wrote:yes, transients would be nice.
but ... I find that using warp markers is actually just as quick in real world situations, especially if the loop is a little 'dirty'. With automatic detection some time is always taken cleaning up bogus transients
Here's my typical scenario -- sample a bunch of real world/"field" hits, slice them -- make a drum kit. Right now I have to use some scripts written in another software to split those into individual files. Wish we had a threshold sampler/recording mode, but slicing by transients could go a long way.

Angstrom

Post by Angstrom » Sat Oct 20, 2007 11:56 pm

ilia wrote:
Angstrom wrote:yes, transients would be nice.
Here's my typical scenario -- sample a bunch of real world/"field" hits, slice them -- make a drum kit. Right now I have to use some scripts written in another software to split those into individual files. Wish we had a threshold sampler/recording mode, but slicing by transients could go a long way.

I'm not sure why the warp markers are not appropriate in this scenario though. Are there too many hits to manually move the markers onto the strikes ?
Or have I missed the point?

Idonotlikebroccoli

Post by Idonotlikebroccoli » Sun Oct 21, 2007 12:17 am

It can for example be fun to just slice up a rising pitch ambient texture and play different little segments from it by midi. It's fun with warp markers and 1/32 beats too, but transients would be just that little bit cooler imo.

I have nothing to complain about when it comes to the current solution though. All Live needs now are automation curves and group tracks, and I honestly don't think there will be anything I'd miss. More flexible rewire perhaps, but that's developed by propellerheads ;)