PLEASE make AMERICA the 1st COUNTRY CHOICE

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
mechcon

Post by mechcon » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:26 pm

whilst we sit back, kick our feet up, and relax
iMac 2.16GHz, MacBookPro 2.4GHz, OS10.5.4, Logic Studio, Live6.0.10, Reason4, Presonus Firebox, EvoMK429c, BehringerUMX25, Korg PadKontrol, NovationRemoteSL0.

http://www.mechanisedconvulsions.com

glu

Post by glu » Mon Nov 06, 2006 4:24 am

a problem with our economic foundation is that the success of business is dependant on the growth of consumption. If the consumers do not increase the rate of consumption, the market will eventually collapse. The U.S. will continue to consume and live prosperously until shit happens.
no prevailing genre of music:
http://alonetone.com/glu

bstalz

Post by bstalz » Mon Nov 06, 2006 5:28 am

stale bread wrote:... legaly and unlegally ...
illegally :!:

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:43 am

what a shite thread.

If this is actually a real discussion perhaps its worth pointing out that when people 'hate on' america its generally at the governance and foreign policy rather than the american people. The only problem is that you get idiots that defend their country blindly no matter what their country does.

Many governments (particularly the american) serve big business, they are not working for society's best interest. It would do some of you good to realise that.

Cryptic UK

Re: PLEASE make AMERICA the 1st COUNTRY CHOICE

Post by Cryptic UK » Mon Nov 06, 2006 11:33 am

Mr. Computer Dude wrote:if it was not for AMERICA, all U europeans wolud be overtaken by TERROR and those who HATE FREEDOMS.

So you should make AMERICA the FIRST CHOICE that comes up on the country dropdown in the ableton shop.

Please handle this right away.
Fuck off.
Drums

pev

Post by pev » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:03 pm

stale bread wrote:everybody's screaming at the president but not saying shit about the people who put him in office.
I wasn't aware that the people had put him in office. I thought it was a joint venture between Diebold and Katherine Harris?

~Pev

Meef Chaloin

Post by Meef Chaloin » Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:11 pm

pev wrote:
stale bread wrote:everybody's screaming at the president but not saying shit about the people who put him in office.
I wasn't aware that the people had put him in office. I thought it was a joint venture between Diebold and Katherine Harris?

~Pev
even if it had been democratic does that not mean Stale thinks we should be 'hating' on the american people? :lol: :roll:

forge

Post by forge » Mon Nov 06, 2006 1:27 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote: The only problem is that you get idiots that defend their country blindly no matter what their country does.

Many governments (particularly the american) serve big business, they are not working for society's best interest. It would do some of you good to realise that.
perfectly put

I've said the same thing in about 50 paragraphs, but you summed it up right there

pev

Post by pev » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:19 pm

Meef Chaloin wrote: even if it had been democratic does that not mean Stale thinks we should be 'hating' on the american people? :lol: :roll:
Heh... I think hate's too strong a word, but I'd certainly question the wisdom / intellect / motives of anyone that actively wanted a daft muppet like dubya to run the country in which they live. Still, it's not as if the only other candidate with a chance of getting into office is really much of an improvement. Bipartisan elections aren't really what I'd picture as the right advert for my image of what democracy is all about...

~Pev

Pitch Black

Post by Pitch Black » Mon Nov 06, 2006 9:52 pm

pev wrote: I'd certainly question the wisdom / intellect / motives of anyone that actively wanted a daft muppet like dubya to run the country in which they live. ~Pev
Remember when Reagan had bowl surgery while in office. Rumor has it they didn't find a tumor - it was Jim Henson's wristwatch.

forge

Post by forge » Mon Nov 06, 2006 10:13 pm

Pitch Black wrote:
pev wrote: I'd certainly question the wisdom / intellect / motives of anyone that actively wanted a daft muppet like dubya to run the country in which they live. ~Pev
Remember when Reagan had bowl surgery while in office. Rumor has it they didn't find a tumor - it was Jim Henson's wristwatch.
:lol: :lol:

that's noofin! My wife's so fat.....

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:02 am

pev wrote:Bipartisan elections aren't really what I'd picture as the right advert for my image of what democracy is all about...
I agree. We get told here by the democrats that any vote for any other party is why the republicans win. It's a never ending cycle.
I voted for Nader in the first GWB VS Gore election anyway though. :P

M. Bréqs

Post by M. Bréqs » Tue Nov 07, 2006 5:40 pm

Machinesworking wrote:
pev wrote:Bipartisan elections aren't really what I'd picture as the right advert for my image of what democracy is all about...
I agree. We get told here by the democrats that any vote for any other party is why the republicans win. It's a never ending cycle.
I voted for Nader in the first GWB VS Gore election anyway though. :P
I admire the US political system in some regards; Your seperation of the branches is superior to Canada's. Here, the executive is formed of cabinet, which are members of parliament chosen to be the legislative branch. In fact, there is virtually no seperation between executive and legislative.

Additionally, our judicial branch is appointed by the Prime Minister, as is our head of state (the Governer General, who has rarely used powers of veto) and the second house of the legislature, the Senate. Our senators are appointed, and stay for life (up to 75 years old).

So essentially, with a majority government in parliament, we elect a 5 year dictatorship over all branches of the government. In that sense, the US system is far superior.

However, we have a healthier electoral system. Elections canada http://www.elections.ca is the national authority for all elections, which ensures no regional or provincial regulations result in questionable results. No electronic voting machines, everything's pencil on paper ballots.

Also, with more than two major parties, we get real options...

It just sucks if we elect a majority government. Totally. With us, it's all or nothing, either we get an effective minority govt that has to rule by party consensus, or a five year dictatorship where they do nothing of substance and just ride the system into the ground.

forge

Post by forge » Tue Nov 07, 2006 11:06 pm

M. Bréqs wrote:[

I admire the US political system in some regards; Your seperation of the branches is superior to Canada's. Here, the executive is formed of cabinet, which are members of parliament chosen to be the legislative branch. In fact, there is virtually no seperation between executive and legislative.
without knowing anything about the canadian system, it sounds like the Australian system which isnt too bad really

and in the UK I was always very cynical of the house of Lords which is about as undemocratic as it gets - but there are advantages - the major one being they are not trying to please anybody and have nothing to gain personally from passing bills and it actually often ends up being more fair and socially conscious

the biggest fault with the US system is the 2 term limit because - the vietnam war being the perfect example - presidents will become more concerned with upcoming elections at home than finishing a job abroad

the vietnam war has always been a shining example of the ineffectiveness of the US political system because they should have won it and everybody knows that - the British proved that kind of guerrilla style jungle war could have been won 10 years earlier in Malaya and the US had far more resources - not to mention troops from other countries (like australia who while small have always had a very effective and well respected army) - but it was internal politics that soured it and cost far too many lives and made a complete mess of it

and look what's happening in Iraq now!

I really hope the Dems sweep this election - largely because I'd like to see Bush impeached and the admin answer to their immoral actions, but I also worry what will happen to Iraq if they pull out - civil war could last for years to come