iTunes 11

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
beats me

Re: iTunes 11

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:08 pm

Komodovaran wrote: No. :( We only just recently got Netflix, and it's still missing a lot. Hulu is still off limits, as are many other things.

And the labels and studios worry so much about piracy, but apparently not enough to combat it with proper service.

:x

Edit: and then I saw this, which is just ridiculous

More legal jargon.

So the music industry claims Apple screwed them in their deal so they put the breaks on countries outside the US….so they get no money.

Here’s the order of how I get music.

1. iTunes

2. Amazon (but if it’s not on iTunes it’s probably not on Amazon either)

3. Beatport (maybe, if I discover it on beatport but it’s available for cheaper on iTunes I’ll buy it there)

4. Rip it from Youtube

I don’t know what people do when iTunes isn’t available but it’s most likely straight to step 4 or just streaming everything and the labels and artists aren’t getting a dime.

footsy

Post by footsy » Tue Dec 04, 2012 5:53 pm

I like it, and yet I don't.

It's very simple and beautiful... but it's kinda annoying that you can't go back to the original list style. I miss that, I've used it that way for years. I have no use for the album covers to be perfectly honest.

That and some album covers are ugly as sin
"A Positive mind is the Key to success" - Tydi

beats me

Post by beats me » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:02 pm

footsy wrote:I like it, and yet I don't.

It's very simple and beautiful... but it's kinda annoying that you can't go back to the original list style. I miss that, I've used it that way for years. I have no use for the album covers to be perfectly honest.

That and some album covers are ugly as sin

You can still have the list view from song view and bring the sidebar back in the view options if you liked that too.

I was one of the people that was irratated when they removed the color icons from the sidebar but now that they've brought it back it looks dated and like Apple took a step backwards. Also seems like something Ive would frown upon.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:02 pm

H20nly wrote:updated on Friday morning... didn't use it... hauled ass to work.

had a long lost friend over and some neighbors which turned into a bit of a party Friday night through the wee hours Sunday morning... often, we couldn't find my fucking music. :lol: :oops: :lol:

coincidentally, after buying an album it was easier to find (for a little while)... :x

what is the secret handshake/keyboard combo for show my music when you open instead of the damn store?

fuck you iTunes, vinyl saves!!
okay... i sat down with it again, this time not drunk... n stuff. i found the big ass "Library" button on the far right and have to admit that it was probably more of a shocker at the moment (first launch) than it really is in the big picture.

still, fuck you iTunes. :x
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:07 pm

Apple will be releasing an update that restores find duplicates.

But obviously this is a feature that people who claim to have over 100,000 tracks never use.

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 05, 2012 3:17 pm

I bought the new Ke$ha and Apple charged me but it didn't download. For the first time ever I'm going to have to use the "report a problem" link on my receipt email. :x

I have iTunes display the sidebar (because I'm old school) but when downloading something it no longer displays that in the list in the sidebar. Figures now that they removed that it actually didn't download somthing. :x

However I did discover there is a downloading icon in the top right of the window. If you click that another window opens displaying your downloads and their progress. I didn't discover that until after it didn't download the Ke$ha ablum. :x

beats me

Post by beats me » Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:17 pm

When looking at an artist's album catalog in the iTunes store now it no long displays the release date for each album on the collective page. You have to click on each album and open it to find the release date. Not cool. :x

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:54 pm

what's the scoop with the "get info" ...erm... feature? when i option click on it i get a box that expects me to add the info. :? what good is that? or... why not call it "add info"?

does iTunes really not have any type of CD database to pull from if you didn't have the good fortune to purchase music from the iTunes store?

man i miss MusicMatch Jukebox. *sigh*
LoopStationZebra wrote:it's like a hipster commie pinko manifesto. Rambling. Angry. Nearly divorced from all reality; yet strangely compelling with a ring of truth.

andydes

Post by andydes » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:45 pm

H20nly wrote:what's the scoop with the "get info" ...erm... feature? when i option click on it i get a box that expects me to add the info. :? what good is that? or... why not call it "add info"?

does iTunes really not have any type of CD database to pull from if you didn't have the good fortune to purchase music from the iTunes store?

man i miss MusicMatch Jukebox. *sigh*
It does when you rip from cd if you are connected at the time. Never seem to works retrospectively (check me and my big words).

This is how I prefer to get my music if I can- get bus to town, buy in actual shop, get bus home, copy into iTunes.

Really.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:53 pm

^ yeah i popped in several CDs last week, but alas no album art and poor tagging on some of them...

'Deltron 3030' which admittedly is a weird album in more ways then one including the title/artist thing, but c'mon... this is iTunes and Apple and that album was a huge success.

'Abstract Rude & Tribe Unique - Showtyme' - iTunes listed it as a 2007 album even though it was released in 04, had no cover art and botched the artist name.

both of those examples can be purchased at the iTunes store... :? :x

i did find that a good indicator for when you've got the tag sorted is if iTunes adds the artwork... at that point you've got it nailed, but it seems to be a lot of work. you'd think a CD database that can pull the names of the tracks could also [correctly] provide the name of the artist who makes them and find the cover work... you'd... think.
at least, i would...

...retrospectively of course! 8)

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:56 pm

that made me notice....dragging in artwork and id3 tagging is gone now? or hidden?

simmerdown

Post by simmerdown » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:08 pm

ahhhh...i tried drag and dropping everywhere but there...
You can still add art from the Info window: select one or more tracks, press Command-I, then paste or drag the artwork to the Artwork well, for multiple tracks, or the Artwork tab, for single tracks.

But I spotted something interesting; another way to add album artwork. If you drag a graphic to the iTunes LCD – that’s the display at the top of the window, showing which track is playing – iTunes will add the graphic to the currently playing track.

It won’t add art to multiple tracks, if you’ve selected them, and it won’t let you add multiple graphics, but if you want to change artwork for a single song, while it’s playing, it’s a quick way to do so.

nathannn

Post by nathannn » Wed Dec 05, 2012 10:15 pm

Itunes 11 on windows is still slow and behaves like bloatware.
Does it really need to suck all of my bandwidth?
The Push / Novation Launch Pad / Novation Launch Pad Pro / Novation Launch Key
/ Launch Control XL / Machine MkII / Machine Studio / BeatStep / Livid OhmRGB / Livid Code V2 / Apc 40 MKII

no computers or synths

20 Copies of Ableton Live Lite.

H20nly

Post by H20nly » Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:39 am

H20nly wrote:^ yeah i popped in several CDs last week, but alas no album art and poor tagging on some of them...

'Deltron 3030' which admittedly is a weird album in more ways then one including the title/artist thing, but c'mon... this is iTunes and Apple and that album was a huge success.

'Abstract Rude & Tribe Unique - Showtyme' - iTunes listed it as a 2007 album even though it was released in 04, had no cover art and botched the artist name.

both of those examples can be purchased at the iTunes store... :? :x
more examples of CDs that iTunes doesn't completely finish tagging:

Enigma - MCMXC a.D.
Everything But the Girl - Amplified Heart
People Under the Stairs - Highlighter
Sade - Soldier of Love
Time Machine - Slow Your Roll

8O

with the exception of maybe Time Machine that just doesn't make sense. i don't even have that many albums installed yet... 60ish roughly. i haven't copied my library over from my Windows hard drives so these are CDs that have been tossed in for one reason or another on my Mac. you would think one of the worlds leading online music storefronts could nail a Sade album...
...and that Enigma CD can be identified underwater ffs :x