if live 9 is not 64-bit...

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tone Deft

Re: if live 9 is not 64-bit...

Post by Tone Deft » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:39 am

me, working 12 hour days so I can take next week off, quickly read your post, thought it was a bit odd. I'm also drained from spending too much time at work.

quandary has a similar issue, new machine, bad news. his is similar to my machine. my only problems have been a crash after moving a track in arrange view and somehow I got a clip that I couldn't zoom in on. other than that I generally put the PC into sleep mode all day, wake it up when I get home, the Launch Pad and APC40 wake up with it, I play and do it all over again.

something goofy happened at Ableton, maybe too many projects at once, we can only blindly (and rampantly) speculate. time will tell if they learned a lesson.

best of luck!
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

Lazos

Post by Lazos » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:33 am

beats me wrote:
Lazos wrote: Bring us surround panning (especially for LIVE performance) :!:
:?:

As a lot of venues run a mono sound system how is this important?

Are you performing background music for corporate PowerPoint presentations at movie theaters?
I'm surprised you'd say that. You haven't noticed the number of threads debating the surround issue in Live? Right, of course all Live users only ever play in electronic dance music clubs with mono systems :x And of course surround sound only ever occurs in movie theatres. Oops my bad :roll: :wink:

Yes. L9 better be bad ass, in more ways than just one.

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:51 am

Lazos wrote:Yes. L9 better be bad ass, in more ways than just one.
All I ask of L9 is that it's stable upon release. L8 was a train wreck that continues to be updated because of how buggy the original release was. I can understand a bug fix here or there, but L8 was unacceptable.
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

kb420

Post by kb420 » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:52 am

(double post)
"That which does not kill us makes us stronger..........."
-Friedrich Nietzsche-

leedsquietman

Post by leedsquietman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:37 am

A lot of machines won't easily upgrade to 64 bit and will have many driver issues, so for many, upgrading to 64 bit means buying a new computer which is hella expensive.

There are also tons of incompatibilities with plugins in 64 bit. Natively coded plugins in 64 bit work better, but are immature and often with a lot of bugs which need ironing out. Many plugins, including big hitters like Waves, UAD and more are still only 32 bit and have no immediate plans to go 64 bit - so you'll need bitbridging and that can be dodgy.

On paper it all seems simple - 64 bit, more memory access, better experience - but from people running 64 bit daws already like sonar, cubase, reaper and logic, there are a LOT of glitches still. After Live 8, the last thing people will want is a bugfest 64 bit version of Live 9. So it's difficult for Ableton but let's keep the faith.

Remember - Digital Performer, Protools and Samplitude/Sequoia's most recent releases are still 32 bit only.
http://soundcloud.com/umbriel-rising http://www.myspace.com/leedsquietmandemos Live 7.0.18 SUITE, Cubase 5.5.2], Soundforge 9, Dell XPS M1530, 2.2 Ghz C2D, 4GB, Vista Ult SP2, legit plugins a plenty, Alesis IO14.

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 16, 2010 5:47 am

Lazos wrote: I'm surprised you'd say that. You haven't noticed the number of threads debating the surround issue in Live? Right, of course all Live users only ever play in electronic dance music clubs with mono systems :x And of course surround sound only ever occurs in movie theatres. Oops my bad :roll: :wink:
Honestly, I can't think of single club or even larger venue in Seattle that has surround. Mostly all clubs are mono for a reason, if someone's on the right side of the stage in a crowded hall, all they're going to hear is a right side mix. I doubt any of that is different for a city half the size of Seattle like Portland. At the very most you might get stereo, and yes, surround is relegated to theaters.

As far as recording for film, I hear you, but in the live music realm you're pretty far off base.

Willyum

Post by Willyum » Thu Dec 16, 2010 6:00 am

They told us time stretch for simpler/sampler was on the to-do list YEARS ago in one of the post on this forum.... If it's not in 9...

As of right now half of the synths (that I like), are coming from other apps, as well as some of my favorite fx. Don't get me wrong, Live is still my #1 go-to DAW... But too many of these other companies are going hard with new innovative tools and really full, warm sounding libraries.

I like to tweak my sampled/found sounds, and a big part that I miss from that is a smooth time stretch in my instrument.

I need to feel like ableton is back on the ball, like the company I first fell in love with.

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:12 am

Machinesworking wrote:Honestly, I can't think of single club or even larger venue in Seattle that has surround.
From the last time I was in Seatle, I would be hard pressed to think of a club full stop - at least one that actually plays house :p
Nothing to see here - move along!

looprication

Post by looprication » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:36 am

UncleAge wrote:Lack of 64bit compatibility is not a deal breaker for me.
Lack of stability is a deal breaker for me.
Yup.

64-bit is a huge pain in the ass, and will continue to be so until everything is 64-bit.

Give me stability with Live or give me Reason+Record.

Cheers,

-ix
My site
February Album Writing Month stuff
Mac Mini 2020 (M1 / Big Sur)
Focusrite 18i20 / Roland A-37 / Oxygen 8 v2 / MidiSport 4x4
Live 11.1 (Rosetta) 11.2 (silicon) / NI Komplete 12 / Reason 12
Lotsa modular stuff
Moog Matriarch

wehkah

Post by wehkah » Thu Dec 16, 2010 7:49 am

Live 9 disscussions are soo otiosely, let the abes keep making Live better but no stress. A company is not a wishing well. Live 8 is fine and i like the concept of stability improvements. And please disscuss similar stuff in the feature whishlist forum.

thx a lot
T
Motto: sharing knowledge...

https://soundcloud.com/bytechop

Machinesworking

Post by Machinesworking » Thu Dec 16, 2010 8:15 am

Khazul wrote:
Machinesworking wrote:Honestly, I can't think of single club or even larger venue in Seattle that has surround.
From the last time I was in Seatle, I would be hard pressed to think of a club full stop - at least one that actually plays house :p
That's probably because House is about the most boring form of mindless dance music besides Goa and Trance. Did I mention my distaste for four on the floor dance beats? because I probably should before you think there's any room for debate here. :P

Khazul

Post by Khazul » Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:51 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Khazul wrote:
That's probably because House is about the most boring form of mindless dance music besides Goa and Trance. Did I mention my distaste for four on the floor dance beats? because I probably should before you think there's any room for debate here. :P
LOL - times like these when its nice to have 4800 miles between us :)

Joking aside, I very nearly took a job there, but in the end just couldnt stand the idea of being so far away from everything, the real clincher however was the complete crap being played in most places - especially round pioneer square 8O
Nothing to see here - move along!

Hoffoman

Post by Hoffoman » Thu Dec 16, 2010 12:00 pm

I really hope they don't implement 64 bit yet as it would almost certainly lead to yet more instability. I couldn't care less about surround sound.

Things I would like to see:

1. session automation
2. m4L run-time
3. Render to mp3
4. convolution reverb
5. time-stretch in Sampler
6. Clip based midi effects (i.e. a transpose knob like we have for audio, plus note-length modification, etc)
7. Bezier curves
8. Dual monitor support
9. The ability to select non contiguous clips in arrange
10 The ability to sync to computers running Live together
11. Pitch correction plug-in.
12. OSC support
13. A really good step sequencer.
14. Lot's of small work flow improvements and UI enhancements
15. Global LFO's
16. Comping
17. A v.a. modeled drum synth

CFM

Post by CFM » Thu Dec 16, 2010 2:53 pm

Bring us surround panning (especially for LIVE performance) - nice feature for the "Minority %" who will use it. Film,video and game work is can see why you would want it. Playing live in a club? Most of the time for me good old L/R if fine.

I don't see Live 9 coming out for some time. I think Ableton have a lot of programming ahead of them to catch up the competition.

Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Thu Dec 16, 2010 3:02 pm

Khazul wrote:From the last time I was in Seatle, I would be hard pressed to think of a club full stop - at least one that actually plays house :p
LOL, well said man, well said.