I saw a 'jumper' today

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tohtruck

Re: I saw a 'jumper' today

Post by Tohtruck » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:24 am

Machinesworking wrote:
Tohtruck wrote: It also pisses me off when people say stuff like that. It's a very narrow-minded view of things, and shows alot of misunderstanding. And I think most of the people who say that kind of thing have probably never really been in that truly dark corner of life.
I don't think people understand this very well at all, but I pretty much believe suicide in the end is always a selfish act, and I live in a dark place 90% of the time at least. What I'm saying is that although the world can be a POS most of the time, that life can and does get to me at times, I'm aware that somebody out there would be heavily negatively affected by my suicide. Case in point, my niece. She pretty much acts like she doesn't care when I come and go, even though I only make it to her town about every six months, but if I ended it, she would be devastated. It might not show now, but it would mess her up mentally. I'm not selfish enough to do that to other people, life can stink at times, but it's not my right to violate the trust of the people who at the very least care about me, and everybody has someone who does. People who do commit suicide I believe do not have compassion enough to realize the damage they do to the ones they leave behind. I do know this sounds harsh but how manny of the suicides you know of are made to look like an accident? People who want to die, but don't want to hurt the people they leave behind would make it look like an accident, period.

A story I heard about the English, don't know if it's true or not, doesn't mater... is that they would bury suicides at forks in the road. The symbolism is a clear statement, "You came to a place where you had to make hard choices, and you chose neither, so the living shall walk on your grave forever."

None of this means I don't feel for those that take their lives, all it means is I don't and will never respect their decision. I've know at least four people who went this way: two for women/depression, one for money/addiction, and one because his dad was a total POS nazi shit. The ones with women mentally screwed those women up, the one with the addiction and money problems had kids that will be messed up, and the one who's dad was a POS let his dad win. :(

It's always a violent act, and always has some passive aggressive side to it.

Without turning this into a big meaningless debate that goes no where (I don't want to argue over a subject like this). I'm gonna go ahead and say that I respect your belief that you think "suicide in the end is always a selfish act."

And re-iterate that: it still pisses me off when people say that suicide is the most selfish thing a person can do (the quote I was originally responding to).

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Jun 13, 2009 4:00 pm

Tone Deft wrote: really? sounds ideal. you go out smoothly, there's a morgue in the building, anyone that might see the corpse has seen one before.
fair points

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:01 pm

longjohns wrote:have several friends who live on a houseboat dock under the aurora bridge.

sometimes the jumpers survive and swim over to the houseboats

good times
Ha, me too, your friends probably live next to my friend. Fuckers land really close to his houseboat, he's fished out a few.
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

longjohns

Post by longjohns » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:04 pm

another houseboat bonus: kids throwing rocks off the bridge and breaking your windows.

:)

d.j.r.

Post by d.j.r. » Tue Jun 16, 2009 8:35 pm

its actually quite simple to understand. They convince themsleves their situation will never get any better. Like all things though, hardship comes and goes and we shouldn't wallow in it.
“To understand everything is to forgive everything”