Bluescreen nightmare during gig

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
ARDJ

Post by ARDJ » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:33 pm

you should always try and plug your laptop straight into an outlet rather than a power strip. do you run anything off an external drive? that should also go straight into an outlet... fluctations in power at clubs and bars is pretty frequent especially in older places... that's because of the huge amount of electricity being used for the amps, lighting, etc.

2nd, they sell those fan things for laptops to sit on. i've never used one in a club enviorment but next time you're not playing, do this:

before you leave home look at your CPU temp(usually found in the bios) and then go to the club on a packed night and look at then. see how much heat your CPU is acquiring just by being there.

anyways man sorry for your BSOD :( i've only had 2 MAJOR problems at clubs, 1 was because a firewire popped out during a show which on windows equals instant BSOD and the other was fault USB drivers on a device.

Coupe70

Post by Coupe70 » Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:44 am

Thanks a lot for all your input !
I will try to reproduce it. Don´t know if I should wish that I can or that i can´t...
Of course i will put the battery back in for the next time.
Loose parts are not very likely I think as the laptop runs normal
since saturday.

I looked back in the cryptic memory dump that was written and
found 3 things:
"STOP:", "Fatal System Error:", and "Driver at fault:"
But with nothing readable behind it. Does that say anything ?
Was it a driver that i can´t identify from that memory dump ?
Are there any other logfiles written in the case of bluescreens ?

Would be easier to read than to playandplaynadplayand nothing happens...
Phongemeinschaft (Live-ElectroJazz / NuJazz)
Homepage - youtube - Like! :-)
Live 9 (32Bit), HP DV7, i5 2,53GHz, 8 GB RAM, Win7 (64Bit)

adventurepants_

Post by adventurepants_ » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:33 am

its also possible that its a software problem.

Uninstall everything you dont need, update and run windows defender, spybot and adaware. Update your virus scanner and do a full hard disk scan, including the hidden and system files.

remove any kind of browser or internet addons. delete messaging programs.

its also possible thats its overheating. were the vents covered while you were playing? maybe think about trying to raise up the lappie or on a laptop stand with built in fan.