Would you use Ableton-Linux?

Yes! Ableton-Linux would be nice :)
84%
No, I'm a windows noob -.-
16%

Total votes: 202

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Tue Sep 25, 2007 3:45 pm

mcconaghy wrote:The main reason why software vendors don't want to deal with Linux is cost. They know they're never going to recoup development costs with maybe a few dozen purchases.
I don't think that's the reason. It's certainly very short-sightet. The reason, IMO, is that they're afraid of what they don't know, they're adopting a wait-and-see attitude cos it's easier. Linux doesn't really have a much of a market share yet for pro audio, but that's potential, not a limitation...
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Dec 05, 2007 3:26 pm

mcconaghy wrote:So how many copies of a Linux version of Live do you think Ableton would sell? I'm willing to estimate that that number is going to be less than triple digits, because musicians don't use Linux, and Linux users don't make music. Why don't they make music? Because DAWs like Ardour and Rosegarden are nowhere near ready for primetime use, and there's no support for industry plug-in standards like VST, RTAS or AU. It's doubtful they'd even recoup their development costs for a Linux version. Besides, what software developer in their right mind wants to release a DAW for a platform where the majority of its' users will start screaming blue murder if it's not GPL and free? They even throw hissy fits if software is released under the LGPL...
theres lot of commercial software available for linux.
and for the record: i know tons of people who would buy without blinking if a linux version would get released.

also for the record: the audio distributions for linux keeps getting more and more, and some custom computer retailers focusing on audio is even selling their computers with linux preinstalled. but i guess its good to live in the past, eh?

i would switch instantly to linux if there was a linux version of live. the only thing keeping me on windows is live. no idea to dual boot either since atleast 90% of the time i use my computer, i have live running.

say it out loud: linux port!

forge

Post by forge » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:40 pm

also if the UB OSX was anything to go by then the cost wouldn't be much and after a while it would just be like it is now - you buy Live and download which ever version you want

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Wed Dec 05, 2007 11:51 pm

mm. give linux port.

futureSol

Post by futureSol » Thu Dec 20, 2007 9:55 pm

Funny thing is that Max OSX is based Unix - which Linux is based on too. Most programmers use linux or macs anyway, so providing a stable linux version would really only require someone to write and implement a good compiler

I think its more of an issue of releasing Ableton to Linux users who are more likely to hack the software and do things like release it as OpenSource or propagate free or cheaper versions.

True, only a small amount of the general computing public use linux but its performance is far and away better than windows...especially Vista, i have 2GB of ram in my laptop and Vista uses 35-40% of it just to run. Same laptop with Linux runs at about 8% memory load. Why do you think Macs run so well... its just a flavor of linux on controlled hardware. Linux is made to run on any machine - which is why people run into problems b/c hardware vendors don't support linux - so you have to hack your hardware (even your mouse) to work right.

However, the power of Ableton combined with the easy of changing how hardware works in Linux, could really lead to some really cool outcomes using customized/hacked hardware. Also with retailers starting to sell Linux based systems (WalMart sold out of their $200 Ubuntu based desktop the day they released it) it [linux] will become more and more popular operating system.

I'm all for a linux flavor of Ableton, but I can see the reasons why they wouldn't release it, at least for right now.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:07 pm

futureSol wrote:Funny thing is that Max OSX is based Unix - which Linux is based on too. Most programmers use linux or macs anyway, so providing a stable linux version would really only require someone to write and implement a good compiler

I think its more of an issue of releasing Ableton to Linux users who are more likely to hack the software and do things like release it as OpenSource or propagate free or cheaper versions.

True, only a small amount of the general computing public use linux but its performance is far and away better than windows...especially Vista, i have 2GB of ram in my laptop and Vista uses 35-40% of it just to run. Same laptop with Linux runs at about 8% memory load. Why do you think Macs run so well... its just a flavor of linux on controlled hardware. Linux is made to run on any machine - which is why people run into problems b/c hardware vendors don't support linux - so you have to hack your hardware (even your mouse) to work right.

However, the power of Ableton combined with the easy of changing how hardware works in Linux, could really lead to some really cool outcomes using customized/hacked hardware. Also with retailers starting to sell Linux based systems (WalMart sold out of their $200 Ubuntu based desktop the day they released it) it [linux] will become more and more popular operating system.

I'm all for a linux flavor of Ableton, but I can see the reasons why they wouldn't release it, at least for right now.
i doubt anyone would try to lift the code of Live and release it as opensource. the licences you release code on in the different opensource/semiopen source communities is holy, and violating it is a big no. true, some people have tried to make live clones posted on sourceforge.net, they have failed, and moved on to other projects.

the only that would happen in the live community if Ableton would release Live for linux would be a (better) continuation of the LiveAPI, and similar hacks. this doesnt hurt the company in any way, on the contrary; it makes the software more interesting due to its customizability (is that really a word?), and should most likely bring more interest amongst electronic musicians wanting more then your regular DAW.

a software with custom hacks attached to it does nothing to do the software but to improve it. just look at the short time the liveAPI was up and running, still the things people made under that short period of time.

only thing i can think of is that when/if Ableton releases a linuxport of live, complimentary software will follow soon thereafter satisfying your/my/everbody elses needs to make up or even improve features live have/doesnt have. thirdparty workarounds takes a enters a whole new realm on the linux platform :)

in short;
say it out loud: Linux support NOW!

forge

Post by forge » Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:07 am

friend_kami wrote:mm. give linux port.

noisetonepause

Post by noisetonepause » Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:59 pm

futureSol wrote:Funny thing is that Max OSX is based Unix - which Linux is based on too.
Linux isn't based on UNIX, it is a clone of it.
Most programmers use linux or macs anyway,
I'd hazard the guess that most Windows apps are developed on Windows...
so providing a stable linux version would really only require someone to write and implement a good compiler
Err. Do you know what a compiler is? Linux and OS X use the same compiler, GCC.
Err again. What do you mean by 'hacking' the software? And how would turning a Linux binary delivered by Ableton into (readable) source code be any different to doing the same to Macintosh binary? Your statement makes no sense. It's not really possible.
True, only a small amount of the general computing public use linux but its performance is far and away better than windows...
I dare say a Linux+GNOME+Compiz environment (ie. a default Ubuntu installation that most Linux desktop users would use) is as resource hungry as Vista. But that just says that 'Linux' without qualifications is a pretty meaningless term.
especially Vista, i have 2GB of ram in my laptop and Vista uses 35-40% of it just to run. Same laptop with Linux runs at about 8% memory load.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SuperFetch
Why do you think Macs run so well... its just a flavor of linux on controlled hardware. Linux is made to run on any machine
It is nothing remotely like a 'flavour of Linux'. It may be source code compatible with most free software that people use on Linux, but the reverse is not true: ALL the userland software that comes with OS X is non-free and written for Apple-specific libraries (Cocoa, Carbon, CoreFoundation, etc.), which are non-free, not at all UNIX-like and unavailable in source form - and they are a much, much more important and visible part of OS X than anything that OS X has in common with Linux (which is mostly some very basic design decisions and POSIX API compliance - a set of APIs, mind, that aren't used by most software that you actually use on OS X). I'm not even sure the OS X userland would compile cleanly on Linux if you had the source for it, as it most likely depends on specific functionality in the OS X kernel that are not available on Linux.
- which is why people run into problems b/c hardware vendors don't support linux - so you have to hack your hardware (even your mouse) to work right.

WTF do you mean by 'hack' in this context? I have never heard of anyone modifying hardware for it to work with Linux. Writing drivers sometimes involves quite a bit of detective work, especially if the hardware manufacturer is being unhelpful - like all manufacturers of Firewire audio interfaces* seem to be, for instance.
We agree here. Linux-based operating systems are bound to become more and more popular, and the customisability of free software presents possibilities that aren't really possibly with Windows and OS X. How well Live fits into this I'm not sure though.

*It is interesting to note that one of the few - if not the only - FW audio driver for Linux supports a very wide range of audio interfaces from several manufacturers (list here) that all use the exact same chipset and firmware. Think about that for a while, especially if you've ever had problems with your manufacturer's drivers, or you bought a new computer with a newer operating system and had to buy a new interface to go with it...
Suit #1: I mean, have you got any insight as to why a bright boy like this would jeopardize the lives of millions?
Suit #2: No, sir, he says he does this sort of thing for fun.

friend_kami

Post by friend_kami » Sat Dec 22, 2007 8:59 am

noisetonepause wrote:
I dare say a Linux+GNOME+Compiz environment (ie. a default Ubuntu installation that most Linux desktop users would use) is as resource hungry as Vista. But that just says that 'Linux' without qualifications is a pretty meaningless term.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vXwGMf14 ... re=related
lets see vista do that.

Daim

Post by Daim » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:27 am

what a useless poll

Daim

Post by Daim » Sat Dec 22, 2007 11:34 am

i cannot imagine a guy like this running live

popoff

Post by popoff » Sat Dec 22, 2007 6:43 pm

Oh sht - where did You get my photo from? I'm the man.

ad rem:
The lack of pro soft is the only reason people keep the MSW - let say: we're not speaking of kids hacking n-th release from id software.
With another stupid joke from Microsoft (Vista) there will be probably plenty of users looking for some better (more stable, secure and less cpu/ram-hungry) OS to work on.
Probably… :roll:
You must master the secret technique of RTFM, my Young Friend
Obi Wan

HW: MB 13.3 /CPU 2G/RAM 2G/
SW: OS MacosX 10.4.11 /AL 7

tricil

Post by tricil » Sat Dec 22, 2007 10:56 pm

why is this in the "Local" section?
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

forge

Post by forge » Sun Dec 23, 2007 1:54 am

tricil wrote:why is this in the "Local" section?
maybe Ableton thought Linux was a place and moved?

shaneblyth

Post by shaneblyth » Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:10 am

I use to use XP and then got into trying Linux which lead me to Mac where I am now but hey if they had had a working Linux version I would have stuck with Linux frankly
I think .. why not ?
It's got to be good to have another option and Linux seems stabler than XP was for me and what users need is a good rock solid system to run on.. I still love OS X but as I said
the more the merrier
MacbookPro Core2Duo 17" 160 gb SATA 2gb ram.
Korg M3
1 Terabyte External Drive
Presonus Firebox
Live 6,