Any plugin that will play chords when hitting single key?

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Tarekith

Post by Tarekith » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:16 am

I was a year ago anyway. Who dug this one up?

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:20 am

longjohns wrote:Chord

Ableton plug

;)
add random and scale and you have a nice combo

hoffman2k

Post by hoffman2k » Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:29 am

In case somebody needs the presets, they're here now: http://www.covops.org/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=28

Tone Deft

Post by Tone Deft » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:35 am

I've done sets where there's
- one midi track input
- that track feeds scale and arp plug ins
- those feed chord plug ins
- etc.

so, hit one key and you get an ensemble, which can be set to play 'in tune' with the right (eg same) scale plug in setting.

cheesy but fun.
In my life
Why do I smile
At people who I'd much rather kick in the eye?
-Moz

tricil

Post by tricil » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:06 am

old trick i posted (from my first post ever), definitely easier with racks now, but still check it out:

"Always in key with random velocity and note variations"

This one seems complex, but when you try it it fuckin rules

Make 2 MIDI tracks.

The first one will have operator, simpler, or your favorite VSTi with midi In from either the computer kybd or your controller with monitor ON

the second track a "controller" track and will be empty of instruments but with the following ableton effects in order: Random (on the "orange" preset), Scale (on the harmonic minor preset in what ever key your song's in... or whatever you want), Velocity (on the "add some random") preset.

MIDI in on this "controller" track from the other midi track (the one with the instrument) and MIDI Out to the instrument MIDI track with the box below it assigned to the specific instrument (it'll say like 1-Operator). Monitor ON.

Assign velocity to any perimeter you can (you gotta use your ears on this one) on the instrument.

On the controller track, make blank midi tracks with clip envelopes assigned to Out Hi of the velocity, Choices of the Random, Pitch of the scale, etc.
MacBook Pro T7600 / OS X 10.5.7 / Ableton Suite 8.0.2 / Peak Pro XT 6.1.1 / ReMOTE 37SL

doc holiday

Post by doc holiday » Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:00 pm

Tone Deft wrote:I've done sets where there's
- one midi track input
- that track feeds scale and arp plug ins
- those feed chord plug ins
- etc.

so, hit one key and you get an ensemble, which can be set to play 'in tune' with the right (eg same) scale plug in setting.

cheesy but fun.

a combo of this and a couple drum hits going around to many different delays, and you can find some neat accidents