Another Lemur Thread

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
tomperson

Post by tomperson » Thu Nov 17, 2005 7:19 pm

Question:
As much as I like Lemur's concept...Don't you think that sometimes you need tactile feedback on what you're doing? I mean, you can grab a knob, look at the sky if you want (or that gorgeous girl staring at you while you rock the house :wink: ) and start tweaking it without needing to look at the gear.

With Lemur, I guess you don't have that kind of interaction with the controller. What do you think?
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

Benno

Post by Benno » Thu Nov 17, 2005 8:52 pm

I think you have a point but i guess that could work in its favour. If you used it all the time you would end up playing it like a real instrument, you dont need to look at a guitar or keyboard after a while.

Plus, if you wanted you could make the fader the size of the screen... you'd never miss it then! :wink:

Anyway, the gorgeous girl would be mesmerised by the light show it emits.... she'd stand there thinking "look at the way he gently strokes that screen and the effect it has on the music. If he can do that with the music then...hmmm"

Or something like that :lol:

kabelton

Post by kabelton » Fri Nov 18, 2005 12:09 am

oh...i haven't got the money for the lemur, but i'm sitting here playing with the editor and dreaming of a new workflow...oh i want this so much... :cry:

tomperson

Post by tomperson » Fri Nov 18, 2005 7:05 pm

Benno wrote:I think you have a point but i guess that could work in its favour. If you used it all the time you would end up playing it like a real instrument, you dont need to look at a guitar or keyboard after a while.
Yeah, but think of it. A guitar has frets. A keyboard has keys. Both have tactile "feel", so you can guess/know where you are. Touching a lemur is...touching a screen...no tactile feedback.
Plus, if you wanted you could make the fader the size of the screen... you'd never miss it then! :wink:
:wink:
Anyway, the gorgeous girl would be mesmerised by the light show it emits.... she'd stand there thinking "look at the way he gently strokes that screen and the effect it has on the music. If he can do that with the music then...hmmm"

Or something like that :lol:
Yeah, I guess the lemur is THE tool for girl-mesmerizing! :twisted:
Turn up the radio. Turn up the tape machine. Look into the sunset up ahead. Roll the windows down for a better taste of the cool desert wind. Ah yes. This is what it's all about. Total control now.

AltDel

Post by AltDel » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:43 pm

tomperson wrote:Yeah, but think of it. A guitar has frets. A keyboard has keys. Both have tactile "feel", so you can guess/know where you are. Touching a lemur is...touching a screen...no tactile feedback.
violin ? trombone ? harmonica ? fingerboard ?
MacBook, Live, Kore, Komplete, Max/MSP, hammerfall and so on

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Nov 18, 2005 9:57 pm

AltDel wrote:
tomperson wrote:Yeah, but think of it. A guitar has frets. A keyboard has keys. Both have tactile "feel", so you can guess/know where you are. Touching a lemur is...touching a screen...no tactile feedback.
violin ? trombone ? harmonica ? fingerboard ?
KaossPad, AirFX, Theremin, Fretless bass, the human voice, etc..
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

gomi

Post by gomi » Fri Nov 18, 2005 10:58 pm

Clearscreen wrote:
I mean if you consider it sort of being a tablet PC with a touch-sensitive screen (i.e. use fingers instead of stylus) then it'd be around there right?
remember it has a multi touch screen which ain't that common. i would assume that'd add a bit in parts, manufacturing AND R & D given no one else seems to be using that type of screen in a product at the moment.

i think they have the patent on multi touch screen technology, or am I wrong?

Machinate

Post by Machinate » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:00 pm

I think there are several different patents on multi-touch screens, and they have one of them.

(I hear cough*Vista*cough will have multi-HID support :-) Two tablets anyone? Two mice?)
mbp 2.66, osx 10.6.8, 8GB ram.

ryansupak

Post by ryansupak » Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:24 pm

If Vista had the capability to have two simultaneous, distinct mouse cursors going at once, I might take another look at Windows.

rs

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:02 am

ok I haven't read much on this thing in a few months but does anyone know of there will be a user sharing place/forum so you can exchange the different programs people have written for it like clever ableton ones and ones for specific plugs? if so I may start saving for it. maybe I'll sell my truck.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

Johnisfaster

Post by Johnisfaster » Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:05 am

although the whole gravity controller thing seems weird to me. or the idea of making the controllers bounce. I mean it sounds awesome but it also just seems like something new to cause buzz and people will be making annoying music with bouncing volumes and crap. I mess with tons of weird ideas and Ilove too but I never finish those kinds of tracks I always end up finishing the ones that use very basic "heres this part and this part and this part and it all sounds good" type ideas. I always go back to randomized cc controlling and that but it never really gets me anywhere.
It was as if someone shook up a 6 foot can of blood soda and suddenly popped the top.

montrealbreaks

Post by montrealbreaks » Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:14 am

Hey - kind of a question from left field, but can you rack-mount a lemur?

I have changed my username; Now posting as:

M. Bréqs