Logic update looks dope

Discuss anything related to audio or music production.
TLW

Re: Logic update looks dope

Post by TLW » Sat May 23, 2020 3:11 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:07 am
How many of you do you use Logic regularly? And why do you launch Logic vs Live on a given day?
I find Logic better for handling projects that have a clear structure and length I’ve worked out in advance of recording - e.g. blues/rock with a verses and solos structure - while Live is better for creation by arranging shorter phrases or for working out arrangements as I go.

I think Logic also comes with better metering than Live and is a better platform for finalising/mastering because of that.

Live has better sequencers available for it than Logic, mostly due to M4L, while Logic has the advantage of the drummer instrument which can be really useful to get some of the feel of a human drummer playing a traditional kit while not requiring anything like the amount of work it takes to sequence several minutes of e.g. rock or blues drumming manually.

For MIDI work I generally prefer Live’s ability to select MIDI ports as well as channels to Logic’s way of combining all incoming MIDI into a single stream before it reaches the sequencer engine then splitting it up based solely on the MIDI channel. Which can be a real nuisance at times - especially if you have two or more MIDI devices that have to use the same channel.

As for Logic’s MIDI environment, the less said the better. It’s powerful but documented appallingly badly.

I’m not up to speed with the recent Logic update yet and haven’t actually used Logic much this year because I’ve been working on stuff I think Live is the better environment for. I’m not surprised Apple have picked up on the session view concept, in fact I’m surprised it hasn’t been copied more often (Cakewalk started taking Sonar down that road but rapidly gave up on fully implementing it).
Live 10 Suite, 2020 27" iMac, 3.6 GHz i9, MacOS Catalina, RME UFX, assorted synths, guitars and stuff.

ozinga

Re: Logic update looks dope

Post by ozinga » Mon May 25, 2020 2:18 pm

[jur] wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:07 am

How many of you do you use Logic regularly? And why do you launch Logic vs Live on a given day? Different tasks? Different moods? Pure randomness?
I was a Studio one/Live user (Dropped Logic after version 9)
But with 10.5 I am back to Logic. As for Logic adding Live style features, no matter what they add it does not replace Live for me. Whenever I launch Live I come up with sounds and ideas that I do not think of with any other DAW. So I use it for my personal stuff.
But if I am producing for an artist, I work with Studio One/ Logic where it feels easier for me to do everything from start to finished material. Including live recordings, comping, ARA etc. Especially the final mixing stage with a proper mixer. If I try that with Live I find myself got stuck on warping, sampling stuff for hours with joy and forgetting what I was doing. :)