live is not sample accurate!

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
slow riot

Re: live is not sample accurate!

Post by slow riot » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:01 pm

and yes. this probably isn't related in a major way to the topic at hand, which seems to be more of a glitch thing than a full major functional decision that would majorly affect behaviour like the issue I raised is.

sorry for the hijack.
Last edited by slow riot on Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ibook g4, osx 10.4.7, maudio f/w audiophile, novation sl25

myspace

starving student

Post by starving student » Mon Jul 27, 2009 6:01 pm

Everyone not interested in the thread topic is dismissed from class today and will enjoy an extended recess, but everyone else who is interested in the topic of Live and sample accuracy stay right where you are, don't even move a muscle or suffer the consequences No not my consequences my friend but you know who's..............

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:20 pm

First I have to say I found out something new. I don't have the time to do a systematic test with all different options in mind, but I played around a lot with different options (route track 1 to track 2; record the audio in track 2 with "resample", ...).

When I record without "punch in" the problem don't appear in arrange view.

assumption : when you record something with "punch in" in the arrange view, your recording is 1 sample delayed.

Take a look....

needs -1 sample delay in track2...

perfect sample accurate...

leedsquietman wrote:so which warp mode are you using.
repitch

comaduster wrote:I just did it 10 times with monitoring on (on one recording channel) and monitoring off on one recording channel and was able to cancel out via phase reverse every time. That is scary if it is happening sometimes though.
Can you describe it a bit more detailed? I'm really able to reproduce this behaviour with or without monitoring on. You had "punch in" off, right?

slow riot wrote:I have a friend who is particularly sensitive to rhythm who says that live is not especially tight (I think he said clips mode was a bigger offender).

i have noticed it several times but do not trust myself enough to rule out the placebo effect and have not verified this information with recording/cancellations etc etc.
maybe, maybe not. senses can be a good indicator for something, but I only believe something if I have a prove. by the way you could easily do a "tight" test. just record it and compare. :wink:

Fizmarble

Post by Fizmarble » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:56 pm

I just wanted to say I love the scientific approach you have mr. ergonomics. I am locked in to this subject til it is sorted.

slow riot

Post by slow riot » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:52 pm

mr.ergonomics wrote: just record it and compare. :wink:
I think that is probably the best way to find out. thanks for your advice.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:57 am

Update 2:

Unfortunately the reason can't be the "punch in" thing alone. I had an idea and did the test again.
This time I didn't have the problem even with "punch in" on. I was a bit puzzled because of this so I did the test again a couple of times.

Result: Sometimes this problem occurs, sometimes it does not, it's seemingly sporadic.

Really just guessing, but maybe there is a certain sequence of functions in the code (...which isn't triggered everytime , therefore seemingly sporadic), which forgot to pass a value or something. I think I will stop testing at this point, because I really can't do more than reporting this strange behaviour. I hope Ableton take a look at this problem.

Again, I don't want to mock Ableton (actually I like them... 8)), but maybe this problem is not limited to this recording thing. Keep in mind, there is a similar problem in session view too.

comaduster

Post by comaduster » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:22 am

Strange. I still can't reproduce it the way you are doing it.
Before I wasn't recording with punch in or punch out on.
But I tried re-recording to another track, as you did in your description.

I WAS able to create non-canceling waveforms by doing the exact same thing mr.ergonomics, but rather than just recording a one shot I let play back run and intermittently turned global record on and off (to create segments of re-recorded material). Some of the segments would cancel, and some wouldn't. Very strange indeed.

I'll get some pictures posted ASAP.

comaduster

Post by comaduster » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:24 am

That was with punch in on.

comaduster

Post by comaduster » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:26 am

Doesn't seem to matter though.

Hermanus

Post by Hermanus » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:13 pm

Are you REALLY sure the problem is not linked with your audio card settings...
When I was recording with directX/MMe audio driver I've always encountered shifted recordings.

Since I've switched to ASiO, no shifts anymore, straight recordings. :wink:

Just my 2cents.

mr.ergonomics

Post by mr.ergonomics » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:11 pm

no, unfortunately not. I use a RME multiface (ASIO of cause) and tested it on a computer from a friend too. I don't have problems like this in other software and I have some confirmations on this problem by other users too.

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:40 pm

i think its due to the authorization code kicking at odd times :lol:

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Thu Jul 30, 2009 4:59 pm

Ok heres my test ...

I recorded the sample as above and started the cancellation test and the results depend where I start the playback from!!!

If the audio playback is started from the exact beginning of the two samples they DO NOT cancel out. If the playback is started from a bit earlier they DO cancel out fine.

This bug (I trust its not a feature :roll: ) is very much in the root of the audio engine we all love and use. Such fundamental flaws should not exist if trust is to be obtained to from the users.

Thanks for the test to mr.ergonomics!

zigzag

Post by zigzag » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:58 pm

has anyone contacted support about this? will you do it with this new evidence at hand?

Parametex

Post by Parametex » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:06 pm

Maybe Mr Ergo could post the "official" bug report?