FINALLY ! Wacom Support in 8.0.2 -> Big Thanks

Discuss music production with Ableton Live.
Poster

Re: FINALLY ! Wacom Support in 8.0.2 -> Big Thanks

Post by Poster » Fri May 08, 2009 6:17 pm

sparklepuff wrote:
Poster wrote:
sparklepuff wrote:pffffft nevermind.
yeah thank you as well.. WTF?! you dont even know what you're pffff'ing to sonny..
No, the pffffft was to my response I edited. I had said there was no Options.txt file. Then reread your post, saying that if it doesn't exist, create it.
aha.. didn't see the prior to edit.. thought it was some kind of blasé response..

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri May 08, 2009 6:18 pm

sparklepuff wrote: Not sure what the heck the problem is, I'm dying to get this to work.
make sure you put it in the 8.0.2 folder, not the 8.0.1 if it's still there..
the wacom fix is since 8.0.2

cheers..

sparklepuff

Post by sparklepuff » Fri May 08, 2009 6:19 pm

Yup, it's in the 8.02 folder. SHIT
Guitar | Synths | Samplers | Ableton @ Phantogram & Big Grams

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri May 08, 2009 6:21 pm

waiting for euphoric response at first dial contact,...

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri May 08, 2009 6:25 pm

sparklepuff wrote:Yup, it's in the 8.02 folder. SHIT
ok.. you're absolutely sure the path user/library/preferences/ableton/live 8.0.2 is right?

wait.. is that text file a 'real' plain txt file and not a rtf file with a .txt extension?

iow.. did you use the 'convert to plain text' in the text editor?
not sure.. that might be it..
Last edited by Poster on Fri May 08, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

[nis]

Post by [nis] » Fri May 08, 2009 6:25 pm

sparklepuff wrote:Yup, it's in the 8.02 folder. SHIT
Make sure the file doesn't get formatted in any way. If you use TextEdit, go to the "format" menu and choose "make plain text", then save.

Best,
Nico

edit: what poster posted in his post already :)
Nico Starke
Ableton Product Team

BoimB son of BoB

Post by BoimB son of BoB » Fri May 08, 2009 6:27 pm

sporkles wrote:
Poster wrote:^ add -AbsoluteMouseMode in the Options.txt file at sparklepuff/library/preferences/ableton/live 8.x (on mac)..

if the txt file is not there already just create one..
How does that affect the mouse, then? (I tend to use the two interchangeably when working in Photoshop).
BoimB son of BoB wrote: yes but i still find it like awkward. i think i'd have the cintiq.
You find the tablet "awkward", and you "think you'd have the Cintiq" - the most expensive model of them all? 8O :roll:
well, no. i was under the impression that working on the actual screen is more natural. but, according to Poster there is not that much to be gained.
we're in this transition zone were affordable(multi-)touch screens are just around the corner :|

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri May 08, 2009 6:38 pm

sporkles wrote:
Poster wrote:^ add -AbsoluteMouseMode in the Options.txt file at sparklepuff/library/preferences/ableton/live 8.x (on mac)..

if the txt file is not there already just create one..
How does that affect the mouse, then? (I tend to use the two interchangeably when working in Photoshop).
the wacom tablet mouse or another mouse?

the wacom mouse works all ok, another mouse I don't know since I don't have one..

muchachotron

Post by muchachotron » Fri May 08, 2009 7:45 pm

so, for those who have this successfully working (mac os x)...

does this have any negative effects? accessing menu bar items, accessing desktop or 2nd display, moving to another app, etc.

i'm guessing this only applies to the ableton interface itself, the menu bar is an extension of the operating system so this added wacom support should only apply to the interface itself. if this is resolved, i'll be thrilled.

Poster

Post by Poster » Fri May 08, 2009 7:55 pm

muchachotron wrote:so, for those who have this successfully working (mac os x)...

does this have any negative effects? accessing menu bar items, accessing desktop or 2nd display, moving to another app, etc.

i'm guessing this only applies to the ableton interface itself, the menu bar is an extension of the operating system so this added wacom support should only apply to the interface itself. if this is resolved, i'll be thrilled.
the script only applies to Live..

the only very very small side effect is that value sliders such as the BPM at the top has a limit to how far you can drag it upwards..
the same goes for dragging sliders downwards that are close to Live's bottom boundary..
this because you'll 'run out of tablet' when in absolute mode..

but that's just really a small small price you pay..

CerebralNektar

Post by CerebralNektar » Fri May 08, 2009 8:10 pm

I have an intuos 3 A5 wide since 1 year and i just can't get back to mouse anymore :)
It's not just about comfort and health issue (RSI) it's about a special feeling which you need to be used to. But after a while you're getting more efficiency with that tool. Pen is a primary tool for human, you're more precise with it. View / surface distinction is a heck but after an habituation it's a real force.

(Double click or hold over element for popup box sucks with a tablet but I've mapped the inch to make a double click in one)

Concerning interface issues there is a little one which explain why Ableton implemented a relative mode for the mouse which cause issue with tablet (or touch screen)

With "old" mode pointer disappear and for tempo box for example you can set it indefinitly without getting stuck with your screen border.
With the new mode pointer stay and you have to unleach the setting when you're getting stuck on the border and reclick and continue etc...
It's not a big no-no for me because it's not very common even with bottom screen setting. If you're bored by this little issue you can resize your Live window a bit to never get stucked on the border ;)

Happy living for all ! And sorry for my hazardous english.

PS : I don't think that posting a youtube video is relevant, for me the best thing is to borrow a tablet and test it for a while (first week it's horrible for most persons).
And last but not least : you're guest will never touch you're computer to launch a shitty myspace anymore :) They will be discouraged pretty fast (WHat's the sh*t is going with this pen ??? !!) . Haha
Live 8 Suite Box, Max/MSP | APC 40, PadKontrol, BCF+BCR, Keycontrol 49, Intuos 3 Wide A5 | Mac Pro Nehalem Octo 2,26Ghz, 12Gb, Radeon 4870, Raid 0 drives | Mindprint Trio S/Pdif | Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 | MBP Core I5 2.4Ghz, 4Gb

djsynchro

Post by djsynchro » Fri May 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Macs are SO easy to use...

CerebralNektar

Post by CerebralNektar » Fri May 08, 2009 8:12 pm

Poster wrote:
muchachotron wrote: this because you'll 'run out of tablet' when in absolute mode..

but that's just really a small small price you pay..
Oh Yeah, I can just strongly agree !! :D

Sorry for my enthousiasm but I've been waiting for this since a looong time (the first time I've test Live 6)
And now I just have to enjoy this new efficiency, Live was the one and only one app that required a mouse for me`;
Live 8 Suite Box, Max/MSP | APC 40, PadKontrol, BCF+BCR, Keycontrol 49, Intuos 3 Wide A5 | Mac Pro Nehalem Octo 2,26Ghz, 12Gb, Radeon 4870, Raid 0 drives | Mindprint Trio S/Pdif | Blue Sky Media Desk 2.1 | MBP Core I5 2.4Ghz, 4Gb

CerebralNektar

Post by CerebralNektar » Fri May 08, 2009 8:18 pm

BoimB son of BoB wrote: well, no. i was under the impression that working on the actual screen is more natural. but, according to Poster there is not that much to be gained.
we're in this transition zone were affordable(multi-)touch screens are just around the corner :|
With a tablet screen you're gaining ease of use for the first time, but get used to a "classic" tablet (it's a bit weird at once) and you're gaining one big thing : nothing is hidden by your big creepy hand, and you can rotate youre canvas on screen (ArtRage, or photoshop CS4) whil maintaining your tablet right. It's a bit more difficult to learn but it can be more efficient, depending on your worlkflow.

Sales Dude McBoob

Post by Sales Dude McBoob » Fri May 08, 2009 11:43 pm

One more reason to pick up a Wacom tablet... I've been considering buying one to bring to work. I drive a mouse for 9 hours a day. I wanna mix it up a bit.

It'd be nice if this feature was properly implemented in Preferences. Get the whole "ease of use" thing happening with it.